Sick Leave Benefits

Hi Everyone!

I am considering a job opportunity in KSA (Riyadh), and have a question about sick leave.

What is the "typical" (if there is such a thing) sick leave allotment for expats?  Is there anyone from North America working for a North American company, and what sick leave benefits do you have?  I understand the Saudi government mandates the employer to provide up to 5 days of sick leave per year.

Do you also have temporary and long term disability coverage?  This would insure you against loss of income if you were unable to report to work for a period of time (at a % of your salary).  What happens if you are hit by a car and have to spend 3 weeks in the hospital recovering?  Does this count against vacation?  Temporary (and long term) disability coverage is almost always covered in North America.  What is the case in Saudi?

My second question is that my potential employer has lumped in the 5 days of sick leave with the vacation benefits.  10 days vacation + 5 days of sick leave. I wish I had eyes on the ground over there to see for myself, but this doesn't sound like it is on par with other companies.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you very much!  I have greatly appreciated your comments and input so far on my other questions.

Cheers,

Erik

GOSE (iirc) says you get 30 days of paid sick leave by saudi law with a doc excuse

Hi Freshlikesushi,

Thanks.  Does the 30 days also apply to expats working for a North American company?

Cheers,

Erik

as far as i know?

I work for one of the ministries ... the paid sick leave is phenonmenal.  It's like 60 days at 100% salary, another 60 days at 80%, and so on.

Erik,

This is an interesting dilemma for you.  You are working for a NA company but physically working in Saudi Arabia.  I work for a Saudi company and I get 35 days of vacation a year.  Insurance benefits are pretty good as well.

It will be interesting to find out if the Saudi labor laws apply to you since you are working for a NA company.  My logic says the policies of the NA based company apply to you although you will be on "business travel" overseas.

Good luck.