Jakarta areas to avoid, if any !

I have been in Jakarta for a month and it has been a very pleasant stay so far. My office is in BCA Menara and I live in an apartment near hypermart (5 minutes walk). I find the local people friendly and helpful and taxi drivers have been kind to me as well.

Now I want to get out and see Jakarta without getting into trouble. I'd like to know if there are areas to avoid in this city. I can speak English, Hindi and Urdu....have to start learning Bahasa. Advice/suggestions welcome.

Yes avoid swimming in the sea and taking buses. As for areas, well they are all reasonably safe it depends when and where you are planning to go.
I would not go to Kota Tua at night or when there are live music performances, the Monas during the evening or any other place locals gather outside for fear of being pick pocketed. Saying that, I have had things stolen on Transjakarta and in X2 but that was in my early days here and I am wise to it now.
I would go and enjoy the city and what it has to offer. Take the same precautions you would going anywhere else and I am sure you will be fine.

I've wandered all over Jakarta and have had almost no trouble at all.
I've been in tiny villages where houses have pictures of Osama Bin Laden in the windows, villages that only deal with rubbish, thus the people are extremely poor. I've wandered all over Jakarta's back streets without the slightest worry and got nothing but smiles from the people.
Not to say there aren't problem but not in a given area.
Watch out for people with lousy tattoos or small gangs of lads hanging out at traffic light and so on.

Thanks for the tips guys. I shall start with Monas and Kota Tua...for the day and take the same precautions as I would in any other part of the world.

It depends on what you want to do. Be careful if going to nightclub stadium. great club but don't get too drunk or you will be a target for thieves.

capri1018 wrote:

I have been in Jakarta for a month and it has been a very pleasant stay so far. My office is in BCA Menara and I live in an apartment near hypermart (5 minutes walk). I find the local people friendly and helpful and taxi drivers have been kind to me as well.

Now I want to get out and see Jakarta without getting into trouble. I'd like to know if there are areas to avoid in this city. I can speak English, Hindi and Urdu....have to start learning Bahasa. Advice/suggestions welcome.

aslamualikum bhai my name is sohail malik and i am pakistani but british natinol .i am learning bhasa if you join me to learn bhasa.will be a fun .i am living in jakarta.

malikengland wrote:
capri1018 wrote:

aslamualikum bhai my name is sohail malik and i am pakistani but british natinol .i am learning bhasa if you join me to learn bhasa.will be a fun .i am living in jakarta.

Peace be with you.
Nice to see another English bloke on the forum.

mas fred wrote:
malikengland wrote:
capri1018 wrote:

Peace be with you.

Thanks fred ,where you from england.whts story here.

malikengland wrote:
mas fred wrote:
malikengland wrote:

Peace be with you.

Thanks fred ,where you from england.whts story here.

Barnsley lad, married Wonosobo lass, she said England was too cold so I stayed here.
That's the quick version.

Areas to avoid.
Pretty much all the bule areas. True there are thieves but mostly you'll waste loads of cash on really expensive booze and be pestered by gold digging/less than morally correct in a "How much" sort of way girls.
The food is at stupid prices as well.

Hi fred same is story here I married with jakrta girl and she don,t want to england becase too cold there .But me come and go but one day we will move there .Take care fred .byeeeeeeeeeeee

I have to be honest.
I'm really glad she didn't want to go to England.
I love living in Indonesia and have zero interest in returning to wind, snow, drug addicts and drunks.
I was actually shocked when I saw a group of drunks a few weeks back. Hardly see any these days and I don't miss them at all.

mas fred wrote:

I have to be honest.
I love living in Indonesia and have zero interest in returning to wind, snow, drug addicts and drunks.
I was actually shocked when I saw a group of drunks a few weeks back. Hardly see any these days and I don't miss them at all.

Similar to my experience, I feel very lucky for leaving norwegian winter and breeze, although I must admit norway is amazing during summer.

Barnsley eh? I've been to Hungry Horse pub, at it was so lame I got drunk for dringking 3 glass of beers :D

mas_dymas wrote:
mas fred wrote:

I have to be honest.

Similar to my experience, I feel very lucky for leaving norwegian winter and breeze, although I must admit norway is amazing during summer.

Barnsley eh? I've been to Hungry Horse pub, at it was so lame I got drunk for dringking 3 glass of beers :D

I think that's the chestnut tree in Barugh green but I've never been in there.
Stopped boozing so missed a load of the new 'family' pubs.
I was still working as a DJ but never took a booking there.

I would like to do a couple of shows on radio stations over here...just in case anyone in the radio racket.