Transfering money without an Iqama?

Is it still possible to wire money overseas with only a passport? My wife will be in Riyadh for a couple of days next week and would like to send money overseas.

I guess you do not have your own iqama yet then? There was a post about this no to long ago I think the only way was via a friend with a KSA account and just give them the cash. Could be wrong though maybe there are otherways

Am not +ve about any possibilites. Things are hard without a valid iqama.

I guess you do not have your own iqama yet then? There was a post about this no to long ago I think the only way was via a friend with a KSA account and just give them the cash. Could be wrong though maybe there are otherways
------------------------------------------------

Louise is right, the only way is via a friend of yours with a KSA bank account while your IQAMA is still on process.

IQAMA is very important in any transactions here in Saudi

I transferred my salary to Canada last month.

Currently, you need an iqama for transfers (doesn't matter who you go to).

However, I was able to transfer money by obtaining a 'membership' at Al Rahji bank. It largely depends on who you speak to at the time.

National Commercial Bank's QuickMoney service is quite popular now. They offer a great rate and you don't need an account with the bank. Just visit any NCB and ask for the QuickMoney account (Iqama required for that). They'll issue you a transaction card.

Using this card, you can visit any ATM, deposit money and transfer it anywhere.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

National Commercial Bank's QuickMoney service is quite popular now. They offer a great rate and you don't need an account with the bank.

With this I come to the Query, Which Bank gives the best exchange rates ?? Sorry for being Off topic....:)

Extra additon .... I'm not sure if there are different charges for differnt currency or countries etc. But we transfer GB pounds to SA Rand with gobal web pay and they only charge 4.75 per transaction end of. That is whether we send 100gbp or 1000 makes no difference.

Louise.Welge wrote:

I'm not sure if there are different charges for differnt currency or countries etc.

I think the exchange rates varies from bank to bank for that particular day. Although it can be a very minor difference.

No this is not bank to bank, if they change chares then it would be for different countries/currency. We have only ever done UK to SA but have used it in three different banks so it most certainly has nothing to do with them. It is not exchange rate either because then it would be different amounts. It is 4.75 for any transaction as I said 100pounds or 1000pounds. Any day whatever, it doesn't change

eddamylene wrote:

------------------------------------------------

Louise is right, the only way is via a friend of yours with a KSA bank account while your IQAMA is still on process.

IQAMA is very important in any transactions here in Saudi

How long does it take to get iqama ?? And what services (like money transfer) are not possible without gettin one.. I think many wanna-be expats and just arrived expats would have the same doubt.. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the company I guess, it only takes about a week or 2 from medical to card in your hand but I hear some companiesdont want to do iqamas until probation is over some will start process straight away. You pretty much cant do anything with out it. No bank account no buying a car. I guess you must need it for getting your license too right? No transfers as you see. You cant get sim cards etc without it either. If your on a compound you can get internet from them but again same thing as sim cards you cant get internet contract without it. The iqama is your life out here. All hail the iqama :thanks:

so its the holy grail.. Thanks alot louise.. Now i know what to ask my company before boarding the dammam flight..

ghanshyampdave wrote:

so its the holy grail.. Thanks alot louise.. Now i know what to ask my company before boarding the dammam flight..

I got mine in 3 days Flat. But with the worng name. To change the name it took me 7 days more. So all in all 10 days. Its an advice, when you collect your IQAMA from the authorities, check for the english and arabic transalations. My name in english was fine, but in Arabic it was differnt. Any other place, things usually go wrong by chance, here things go right by chance.

As already said by Lousie, IQAMA is the first thing to get your hands on. Account Opening, Financial Transactions, Sim card, Internet, Driving Lisence, House on rent and lastly your own identity here will depend on it.

Good Luck !!

3days hey, but it had to be too good to be true, they had to get something wrong on it :)

My neighbours kids have each others pictures on their iqamas, one is a boy the other a girl :huh:

Louise.Welge wrote:

My neighbours kids have each others pictures on their iqamas, one is a boy the other a girl :huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

@saimans : That's useful info. I havent translated my visit visa yet. Asked a few ppl, but they said that the english text and arabic text means the same.
@louise : ha ha ha.. Flaw-rence of Arabia..
Ghanshyam Dave

Hi,

I'm yet to get an Iquama, but I've got an STC Sawa SIM Card from their airport counter by my passport only (they took a photocopy).
Also, got a Mobily router at home for internet connection from a shop without any documents whatsoever.

However, I understand that Iquama will be required for bank account opening, remitting money, getting a post-box, perhaps even for getting an exit-re-entry visa.

STC does offer visitor SIMs which are normal prepaid cards. Mobily router was a big-time favour. Being a pvt company, they are a little flexible sometimes.

rehabdoc wrote:

Hi,

I'm yet to get an Iquama, but I've got an STC Sawa SIM Card from their airport counter by my passport only (they took a photocopy).
Also, got a Mobily router at home for internet connection from a shop without any documents whatsoever.

However, I understand that Iquama will be required for bank account opening, remitting money, getting a post-box, perhaps even for getting an exit-re-entry visa.

Buddy you are lucky that you got the Internet connection. BTW a suggestion, do submit your Iqama copy as and when you recieve it to the STC shop against your mobile number. Mine was disconnected 3 months down the line as the Iqama was not registered against the number. And it took me 7 days to resume my services.

Very right @saimans,
It will not only keep the service continuation safe but also you'll be able to enjoy other benefits like access to their online portal to manage services or to view the log of calls etc etc.

Thanks immensely for the valuable tip guys !!

Will do so ASAP after getting my Iquama.

How to send.what is the process.

I got paid with a check , how can I send money to south Africa
My Iqama won't be processed end off Eid
I haven't send money home in 2 months it is critical to send money home

Please advise

Thanks in advance

If you are paid by a cheque, you can in cash it by presenting your passport to the bank. Be sure  that your name in the cheque is the same exact name written in your passport. But in sending money you should have a valid iqama in dealing with any transactions. The only thing you can do if you really need to send money asap is to ask a friend who has a valid iqama to send the money in behalf of you if you will send it through Western Union or other remittance centers; or have a KSA bank account.

Hope this information helps.

P.S. I think banks are close this coming Sunday - Tuesday as tomorrow will be the end of Ramadan.

If you are paid by a cheque, you can in cash it by presenting your passport to the bank. Be sure  that your name in the cheque is the same exact name written in your passport. But in sending money you should have a valid iqama in dealing with any transactions. The only thing you can do if you really need to send money asap is to ask a friend who has a valid iqama to send the money in behalf of you if you will send it through Western Union or other remittance centers; or have a KSA bank account.

Hope this information helps.

P.S. I think banks are close this coming Sunday - Tuesday as tomorrow will be the end of Ramadan

Thank you very much

this helps a lot I will be able to get money home
:)

Hello i have the same concern, is this still apply up to today?

Hello Fbmunoz,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

To increase your chances of getting answers, I would advise you to create a new topic on the Saudi Arabia forum and ask your question as this one is quite old.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Iam working as a housemaid in Saudi arabia but I have not yet got iqama . Please how can my employer send for me my salary to uganda without iqama

@nabjulie86 First of all why you didn't get your Iqama ? you must have your Iqama and Passport in your hand else your sponsor will be in trouble. Second your sponsor will take you or without you pass to Western Union or Enjaz and used your Iqama and show his iD to send money to your family, as he will excuse you are busy so he come to send money, because they are afraid you might escape or chit chat with any stranger so he will not trust on you.