I'm a young businesswoman moving to Qatar,what do i need to prepare

Hi!I'm a 29 year old Kenyan moving to Qatar for 8 months, with my Danish husband,who's going there to work for an engineering firm,so I decided to join him(I'm a Communications Consultant). So i'm looking to be as prepared as possible, but the internet doesn't offer much on Qatar,nor do we know anybody there:

Where can we meet other expatriates so I can settle in faster?

My husband has a work permit and I dont-how can i quickly get one?

I've realized that society is conservative about men and women mixing, yet men own most businesses, so how do i network and pitch for opportunities?(I'm assuming thats how they do business there?)

Also,if all else fails, where can i teach English or train people (and other part time jobs?)Or perhaps FIND AN art gallery where i could exhibit and sell my work?

How serious are they about dress codes, is it true i'd have to wear a Hijab and long flowing clothes?

Is there anything else i need to look out for (racism,language barriers,rules of behaviour,stuff i should bring with me etc)

This is a great forum, thanks for your help!:)

Hi lee101 and welcome to Expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to Qatar forum for better visibility.;)

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may help too.

Harmonie.

HI.
I am going soon to visit Erbil as well, and I know a few friends in Qtar. If you need their help I can give you their details on skype. YOu may call me any time: my skype is: ahsanahsn720

Hi Lee101,

I have lived in Qatar for 7 years before moving recently to Bahrain; and I think Qatar image is quite different from the one you have in mind.

Expats in Qatar are more than the local citizens and you can meet them everywhere, wherever you will stay you will be surrounded with lots of them and you will be able to have many friends once you socialize with your neighbors.

Since your husband already has his work permit, then he has to arrange for your residence visa so that you can join him and start the immigration process to get your residence permit. Process time vary based on how fast the PRO is but usually it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks.

However the society is conservative as you said, but you will have the opportunity to work and excel in your career, It would be good if you follow the Qatari newspapers classifieds section to check the offered vacancies which may suit your skills. Also you can check the websites of the major organizations in the Qatari market to get an idea about the market demands.

If all fails, independent and international schools are many; you can apply through the website of the ministry of Education; also language training centers are many as well and it's a kind of part time job that might suit you better.

As far as you wearing decent cloth, you won't be having any problems at all … You are not obliged to wear hijab as you mentioned.

I'm sure you will have a great time over there.

The following website may give you some more information for your reference.

Hope this helps:)

Cheers

Hi every one.

I'm a professional cameraman for video production, I have worked 16 years in Kuwait & would like to move to Qatar, can anyone be kind to help me, my mail is, [email protected]
Thanking in advance.[color=#0C15F2]

Andre.[/color]

Andre60 wrote:

Hi every one.

I'm a professional cameraman for video production, I have worked 16 years in Kuwait & would like to move to Qatar, can anyone be kind to help me, my mail is, [email protected]
Thanking in advance.[color=#0C15F2]

Andre.[/color]

Hi Andre60,

I would suggest you post an advert in Qatar classifieds section for proper responses and better visibility.

Good luck with your job hunting process.

Cheers,

Hey all,
I'm really greatful to you for taking the time to answer my questions and to give me guidance on Qatar, may you be blessed several times over, especially Vido Dido who put in alot of effort in answering every aspect of my questions.Thank you so very much!
Lee 101