Moving to Kenya...looking for a place to rent.. please advise

Hi all

Im new to the network

Im hoping to move to Kenya ... Im looking to rent a bungalow, ground floor flat. with garden.. 2 bedrooms.. in a safe and secure area..

im not sure if I can get this in Nairobi or if I have to try the coastal cities..

would truly appreciate any advise anyone can give on where i can find this, how to find it, how much it will cost.. etc

I heard you can rent out really nice, new build apartments (unfurnished) in Nairobi for around 300 dollars a month.. is this true?

sufsuf

Hi sufsuf!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

thanks ... do you have any info on the above questions?

Hi Sufsuf

I am also packing my stuff to move Naitobi on 2nd April and lloking for an accomodation. If you would like after finding out a proper one I am willing to share.
Cheers

Hi,

Online is a good place to start.  Have a look at the following sites, to get you started.

http://villacarekenya.com/search/index.phphttp://www.tysonskenya.com/properties/search/http://search.knightfrank.com/property-to-let/kenyahttp://www.hassconsult.co.ke/index.php? … &Itemid=29

Tha above agents generally only have properties in the 'better areas' and the prices reflect this.

Thank you so much Longonot!

Just to add - there are plenty of apartments, but the ground floor ones don't tend to come with gardens - with apartments, most of the grounds are generally turned into a parking lot.  The 'green areas' are communal.  If you want a garden, then you will need to get a bungalow, or house - for which a larger budget is likely to be needed.

Bungalows are becoming less common in Nairobi.  There has been a tendency for developers to buy them and build apartments, in their place (they often had large gardens).

This leads me on to mention water supply.  In some areas, the process of building apartments has put a great deal of stress on the water supply (designed to serve one property per compound).  This has led to intermittent water supply - it is worth asking about this, when you go and view.

LONGONTO

now you're scaring me,, you know.. i was hoping for trees.. green.. put a hammock outside.. chilled.. nothing too fancy.. but i want to feel im in africa and not in concrete jungle.. mmm.. maybe Im asking for too much..

do you mind if i inbox you?

sufsuf
there is ready bungalow, ground floor flat. with garden.. 2 bedrooms in nairobi for more inbox me

Hi Sufsuf,  Yes you can message me.

I am not saying that ground floor apartments, with gardens don't exist - just the general situation, regarding apartments.  Apartments have often been built where there was previously a single property.  The developer needs ro maximise their profit by building a reasonable number of properties on the site.  Then there is the need to provide adequate car parking.  Often, greenery and  some trees are left, to make the environment look more pleasant, but they are most often communal.  The last apartment that we had was ground floor and we had a back door leading to an area where there was a washing line etc.  But, this area was not enclosed, so any resident could walk round in it if they chose to do so.

The other type of development tends to be a small number of houses, in a single compound.  These are often built side by side and may have a small garden area, to the rear.

It depends on your budget: An apartment is usually cheaper to rent than a house, or bungalow.  In some areas (Loresho springs to mind) there are still a lot of bungalows and you are more likely to get the 'feel' you are looking for.  Other areas, such as Kilimani, Kileleshwa and to a lesser extent, Lavington, have seen a lot of re development.

The other advantage of an apartment is security.  Often, this is included in the service charge.  For a single property, such as a bungalow, you would be strongly advised to employ a night watchman, or security company.

You really need to get out there and have a look for yourself.  Don't forget to find someone local, to ask about the water supply.  Bearing this in mind, some apartment developments have a bore hole,  the majority of properties have water storage tanks.    :)

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

longonot stop scaring people..any kind of house you want in nairobi is available..guys if you want some greener place with gardens,try Lavington estate,muthaiga,Runda,Karen some parts of Kileleshwa and westlands.

Apartments are ok coz they have made the places affordable to all people.Its your choice what u want,it all depends with your budget!!for $300 its not possible to find a nice place..maybe from 500 or more dollars

Good luck finding a place,if need any help contact me.

[moderated: no free ad on the forum. Please use the business directory. Thanks.]

Dear Sufsuf, no it is not true that you can get a really good, newly built apartment for 300 dollars, if you are looking in desirable areas. You probably need to double your budget

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi I am planing to move to nairobi,kenya  .....  do any one have idea on the budget for one bed room fully furnished flat in westland nairobi

furnished apartments in the areas like westlands,Upperhill,hurligham,Lavington,kileleshwa and none road are quite common and secure but considering this they are more expensive (60-120k per month)than areas like thika road, kiambu road and Waiyaki way areas (20-50k per month).

online agents are quite many and u can get an idea of a good area to rent according to your needs.

good luck

One bedroom fully furnished goes for about $ 400- 500 but a studio apartment is less...

(Moderated: Please post in the section housing in Nairobi)

Hi sufsuf,

It is true,you can get a place for usd 300 but am sure u will feel unsafe in such areas.I am not trying to scare you but it is best if you get a place you will safe so that you can totally enjoy our nice weather and very very hospitable people.

You can get bungalows both in the coastal area and in Nairobi.It is totally upto you.I can email you some pics of houses in the coastal area if u inbox me your email  address.Welcome to Kenya.

Hi Tank12
There was on expat asking for around 35k for an apartment in westlands. Thats like the fairest deal i have ever heard for a furnished apartment in westlands.Do you want me to enquire for you or have you found a place?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]

(Moderated: Please register in the Nairobi business directory)

Hi Dennise! Have you found anything yet?
(Moderated: Please post in the section shared accommodation in Nairobi and avoid leaving your phone number on the forum for security reasons)

Hello,

Yes, it is true you can find accommodation for that amount but it depends on the size and location.  A two bedroom with a garden... they are few and far apart.  You would have to look in the Karen, Runda area.  If you will end up staying in an apartment in Kilimani, Lavington or Kileleshwa - that will approx. be something like USD 700 plus.

Regards

Kessy
xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I hope when you eventually got here you found something suitable....

Hi there, I hope you settled in Nairobi well. You can check online kain.co.ke for other places to move to in Nairobi. I hope it helps.

@kelvinmaiyo

Welcome to the forum. :)

You have posted on a 2 year old thread. Before posting please check the date of the previous post.

Hi there. I could help you get one. Whats your budget?

@MsMichelle

Welcome.

If you have accommodation please post in the housing section top of this page.

This thread is obsolete ... I prefer closing it

All the best

Julien

Closed