POSSIBLE MOVE TO SOUTH SUDAN

Can i please have some information about SUDAN. we may be moving to South Sudan from Kwazulu Natal South AFrica. How is the Expat life there? how is the education, my son is 21 months old. how is the medical there? is it a violent country or peaceful? what are the main attractions / tourist attractions in South Sudan! if you could please answer me as i cannot find any information on Sudan.

thank you

Hi Carla Anne and welcome to Expat.com!

Your thread has been moved to South Sudan forum for better visibility.;)

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.

Harmonie.

Hi Carla and Welcome to EB.

South Sudan is a new country and not safe at moment and there is some tribes issues and people have guns and sometimes they fight and you can die easily there. The country has many natural views and I hope in the future,it will be a great place to live in but now still not ready.

Hi Carla,

i am working in south sudan since April-2011. it is a new country with no developments at all. not good medical facilities even in capital city Juba. now some new clinics have opened and previously we used to go to nairobi for treatment.
electrical power problem is also very bad and all the time you have to get generator running.
if you are moving with 21-year old child then i would suggest it is currently not the place to be.

Cheers,
Saqib

hi everybody

can you tell me how are the telecomunications ?  are there some cell phone providers ? where can we use them ?  when  we go in the land our on the tracks, is it possible to use  satellite phone ? where can we rent them ?

thanks a lot

Hi,
yes there are several mobile phone companies present in south sudan like, Vivacel, MTN, Sudani and Zain.
sim is available in open market in 10 SSP.
the best one is Zain as it has large area of coverage but in remote areas most of the time its service is also down.

it is best to have thuraya if you are travelling a lot in south sudan. the best organization is RCS communications in Juba but i am not sure if they rent out satellite phones or not.

ssaqib

thank s for you answer      but i have not all understood

so can  you tell me wich company can rent me a satellite phone  ?     and the best company which has the best coverage   around Bor or Diamdiam    thank s a lot

Hi!
  For my 8 month here I could say the place isn't that bad except that the cost of living is high and it's not really secure the country is on Phase 3(Security Phase)but for me due to the ongoing violences the it should have been still on phase 4,the people here are high tempered you never know what could be their reactions Expats are not too much appreciated by the local community however you can still live in South sudan but by being careful...

Having lived and worked there for 3 years I can say it is not a very safe place to be in, especially with children. 

Hospitals and medical facilities are not very good as are education facilities.

I went to Nairobi for any medical treatment.
Phone systems do work in Juba but not too well elsewhere.
For satellite phones we used RCS in Juba.

I would love to come back some day.