How bad are the after shocks now

Myself and my girlfriend are moving to christchurch for work purposes i am a formwork carpenter and she is a beutician,we are a bit concerned about the after shocks i am getting conflicted opinions on the way things are!can any tell how bad it realy is and how safe is it

thank you

Hi gerry12 and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will share their opinion with you soon.;)

Harmonie.

Thank you harmonie hopefully they will

Hi gerry12

A big welcome!

The aftershocks are not too bad at the moment compare to what happen in December and jan. they have calm down. Saying that i guess it all depends where you live really. We are on the west/nw of the city- bryndwr so hardly feel them unless they are magnitude of 4's and above. My hubby don't really feel any. But I do get woken up. But saying that it's not everyday that we do get a 4. It's not as bad these days. So keep finger cross. It was indeed very terrifying in December - we only just moved to Chch. And I spend the jan in Queenstown. But am ok with it now as far as dec one does not happen again. Don't think I'm trying to scare you off. People are different. My friends are all ok with it and they feel more aftershocks than me. So it ll depend how strong you are. But If I can do it then anybody can!!!! :)

Anyway I see you are from navan? What a small world. I have a few friends from there. Well I knew them from uni...Scotland.

Well if there is anything else you would like to know please pm me.

Take care
N

You have put my mind at ease, i was hearin they were bad shakes everyday,i am going regardless because its were all the construction work is and better rates.

You will find people from navan no matter were you go in the world

thanks again for the info

You are welcome.....Good luck with your move!!xxx

Hi Gerry12

If you have yet to move to chch, you have nothing to worry about. The aftershocks have all but disappeared and the small ones we do have my flatmate and I (who moved over from Ireland early in the year) sleep through them, or barely feel them. I'm more scared of spiders to be honest. Christchurch is a great city, you're both going to love it. Make sure you check out the container bars while you're here. Revival is a great bar constructed of containers and shopping trollies as seating. Very unique and fun. Good luck with your move!

Juanita

the aftershocks are getting worse and worse. dont bother coming . my house is about to collapse

Thanks everyone for the replys i am here now and gettin on great i am loving it have a great job as well

well lad wrote:

the aftershocks are getting worse and worse. dont bother coming . my house is about to collapse

So did u and ur house collapse ?