Is your work experience in KSA valueable?

Might look as a different looking buzz :)

So what's you opinion; Do you think that your work experience in KSA is as more valueable career asset as it might have been in some different country? Do you think that mentioning it in your resume sounds impressive to employers in other countries like "Wow, he/she have great expeience in KSA as well!!!"

Well I dont know about the resume/CV, How it will reflect. But surely experience in KSA teaches you to be calm and patient in all the adversities. :top:

I agree that I don't know about the CV but I do know that it's benefitted me a lot personally, learning about a totally different culture and way of living.  I've learned a lot about myself, too, in the process.

It is more of learning to deal with a 1st world country that acts like a bunch of rich 3rd world citizens id say was my experience in Jeddah.

Teaches you to do alot with not too much, and deal with the political stuff to get things done.

as for if it helps on the resume. i got my job i have now due to KSA being on there. But i think its cause the hiring manager had been there before and maybe realized?

Alliecat wrote:

I agree that I don't know about the CV but I do know that it's benefitted me a lot personally, learning about a totally different culture and way of living.  I've learned a lot about myself, too, in the process.

i agree.... we learn to appreciate what we have . and strive to what we still need

We learn a lot while working in KSA. I'm getting a feeling that the employers abroad take KSA as a learners place ONLY. Perhaps, they don't think that we have sufficient professional environment here to cope with.

The factors behind this conclusion is the recruitment traffic & discussions with a few experts. In my observation, the number of people brought into KSA are much more than who moved out (at least to similar Arab countries). I agree that the major driving factor is the past economic situation. But what about the career track? Are we on track rather than slacking off?

for me, its a quick buck. Im a jet engine mechanic by trade, and its an easy way to make the same money i make in the US, but tax free, and i dont pay for housing. with a few bonuses in there also.

for ME, it doesnt really help.  I was between contracts and i got a phone call saying they emailed a recruiter to contact me, and i jumped on it.  More of something to than an advancement.  but im only 27, so i have a bit of time

Getting a job in the UK, my hubby didnt get much out of being in Saudi. He worked here for a far bigger company out here had far more staff underneath him and managed a far larger amount of warehouse space than anything else that even exists in the UK. But pretty much every interview he did they were uninterested and he even said at times he felt it went against him for being out of the UK for that period.

A few nurses and doctors I know can't get a job again in a western country because their skills have so atrophied here.

Alliecat wrote:

I've learned a lot about myself, too, in the process.

I think thats the best experience anyone can get anywhere. Cheers. :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

I agree that the major driving factor is the past economic situation. But what about the career track? Are we on track rather than slacking off?

Well my personal Opinion for the change was to work and take the experience in One of the best companies in the Oil and gas in the world. Soo took a plunge to KSA. No doubt with the added advantage of the Tax free salary. So i feel its on the track.

Sometimes red tape kills !!!

Coming to the question, KSA work experience mentioned on your resume goes against you if the person hiring you has worked over here and you are appearing in an interview outside the Middle East. They doubt if you can adjust with the stress requirements of work knowing the comfortable and relaxed work environment you have over here.

However, the nature of your job is another key factor in determining the affect of working at Saudi Arabia.

BAK wrote:

Coming to the question, KSA work experience mentioned on your resume goes against you if the person hiring you has worked over here and you are appearing in an interview outside the Middle East. They doubt if you can adjust with the stress requirements of work knowing the comfortable and relaxed work environment you have over here.

However, the nature of your job is another key factor in determining the affect of working at Saudi Arabia.

I know a few people who woul love to know where you work if it is so comfortable and relaxed there. I think it's more a case the employers haven't experienced KSA and just assume it is all low key shacks in the desert.

In my home country and I beleive in western countries as well KSA experience is not valueable not because they think it low key shack in the desert as Louise said, since most educated people knows that KSA is rich countries with many big companies and projects, but because KSA has low competitive intensity and low quality control and supervision on project done specially government projects.
Most of the businesses in KSA succeed easily in the market because of high demand and low competitivity which requires less creativity and hard work from the employees. I know mediocre sales engineer they couldn't achieve half their targets in Jordan but when working in Saudi they achieve success and surpass their targets by a mile.

Nevertheless, KSA experience is an added value for those who are looking to work in the gulf since many employer here prefer people with gulf experience because They would be accustomed to gulf standards and codes plus the way of living.

Louise.Welge wrote:

I know a few people who woul love to know where you work if it is so comfortable and relaxed there. I think it's more a case the employers haven't experienced KSA and just assume it is all low key shacks in the desert.

DITTO, Louise.Welge.  This is one of the most stressed out places in the world to work! 

BAK, why would so  many people pull 'runners' if it's so relaxed?  Or leave as fast as they can after their one-year contract expires???

One guy has just up and left from company, he hadn't even finished his probation. Took leave to collect more of his things and he disapeared with his phones and laptop. Naughty

Louise.Welge wrote:

One guy has just up and left from company, he hadn't even finished his probation. Took leave to collect more of his things and he disapeared with his phones and laptop. Naughty

The record turn-around time where I work happened recently--the person came, quit and was out of the country within 5 (yes--count them--5!!!) days! 

Exact opposite of Veni, vidi, vici, it was "I came, I saw, let me get the h*ll out of here as fast as I can!"  :lol:

But to add to this discussion, hopefully hiring managers would recognize the amount of resilience and, as previously mentioned, patience, required of a person to live and work in KSA.

Louise.Welge wrote:

:lol: Even i saw couple of cases like this in 5 months period only !!

I think it also depends on the field you are in.  I am working in the banking and finance industry and the good news is the KSA is attempting (very hard) to comply with international banking and finance standards.  It is slow going and very frustrating at times but at least it is going in the right direction.

I do agree with AllieCat - my experience here has allowed me to examine myself and reaffirm that I still do not like people ... well sometimes anyway!!!  Lol

houstonian wrote:

my experience here has allowed me to examine myself and reaffirm that I still do not like people ... well sometimes anyway!!!  Lol

:lol::lol::lol: ROFL

:one Dude that comment has made my week

there are quite a few things about Saudi Arabia that make it a not so great place to have a career:
1. your experience here is not taken into account unless you are working in a MNC.
2. most companies do not have the policy of training and giving proper guidance - It is all OTJ, which is alright, but then you cant prove what you have done.
3. With saudiazation, well.. you could be training a young guy to be your manager. Which sucks! :P
4. The lack of documentation and proper HR management makes it hard for you to support what you have actually done.

@ Alliecat .. Most people leave this place too early not because of the extent of work but because of the cultural shock they experience upon reaching this place.

On the other hand it might vary from industry to industry and department to department. I used to work at one of the most reputed companies and hardly came home before 7 pm with even some weekends spent at office. Here, I hardly stay after 4 pm and get paid for that even if I have to. And its not only me experiencing such circumstances. 

Why do you think so many foreigners prefer opting for UAE ?? Its not the work, its the way you are made to live.

Alliecat wrote:
Louise.Welge wrote:

The record turn-around time where I work happened recently--the person came, quit and was out of the country within 5 (yes--count them--5!!!) days! 

Exact opposite of Veni, vidi, vici, it was "I came, I saw, let me get the h*ll out of here as fast as I can!"  :lol:

But to add to this discussion, hopefully hiring managers would recognize the amount of resilience and, as previously mentioned, patience, required of a person to live and work in KSA.

im with you!
we had one guy come for 3 days and left.  most lasted about a week or so