Giving birth in Quito

I will be moving to Quito in September to be with my fiancee and have my baby. I have a couple of questions I need answered...

-Where are the best hospitals in Quito?
-Does anyone know of a midwife?
-Do I gain any rights by marrying an Ecuadorian and having a baby in Ecuador? Residency?

I'm wondering if you could give any insights on the processes of finding a doctor/midwife and the pregnancy/birthing experience in Ecuador (Quito).  I'm currently trying to find a doctor for my pregnancy.

sasanchez wrote:

-Where are the best hospitals in Quito?
-Does anyone know of a midwife?
-Do I gain any rights by marrying an Ecuadorian and having a baby in Ecuador? Residency?

The OP's questions went unanswered on this blog in August, and it's conceivable (pun intended) that she has already given birth.

But since this thread was given new life today (still intended)...let's note that the best hospitals in Quito are Hospital Metropolitano de Ecuador and Hospital Eugenio Espejo.  That's according to the listing in this week's new Expat.com Ecuador thread "Top Hospitals in Ecuador."

Certainly, these hospitals can connect one with a midwife.

And yes, marrying an Ecuadorian potentially can make getting residency easier, as the visa barriers for dependent(s) are relatively low in some cases.  The foreign ministry or Cancilleria website is cancilleria.gob.ec ... Competent legal advice is obtainable:  see the Expat.com business directory, or thread(s) about seeking attorneys.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

..let's note that the best hospitals in Quito are Hospital Metropolitano de Ecuador and Hospital Eugenio Espejo.  That's according to the listing in this week's new Expat.com Ecuador thread "Top Hospitals in Ecuador."

Speaking of health care in Ecuador, International Living just sent me my daily escape postcard about Donald and Diane Murray who arrived on Ecuador's coast, sight unseen, for an improved lifestyle for less in 2012.  They claim they left after two years because the hospital care on that part of the coast (they did not mention any names) was not good enough for his pre-existing medical conditions, so they moved to Mexico, renting places in both Merida (which they claim is as safe as Vermont or rural Kansas) and 4 hours away in Cancun.  They claim a couple could live in Merida for $2,000-$2,500 a month, but their $750/month Cancun condo allows a breathtaking view and direct access to the jewel-like, deep turquoise waters of the Caribbean only steps away.  They claim they won't allow fear to be the thief that steals the life they could have.  Of course it was fear that moved them from Ecuador to Mexico in the first place.

cccmedia wrote:

The OP's questions went unanswered on this blog in August, and it's conceivable (pun intended) that she has already given birth.

That was August of '09. One hopes she has by now a healthy child enjoying his/her first year of school.

Expectant mothers can be referred to EC's country contact and to midwives in their areas through midwiferytoday.com -- website of the International Association of Midwives.

The country contact in Ecuador is Elbia Martines, who has a natural birth center in Cuenca:  "We have a mission in this world, to help create a world of more love, giving humanised care to mothers and newborns."

Definition of a midwife:

"A midwife serves women during pregnancy, birth and postpartum.  She is trained in the health, physiology and care of women and their babies.  Her services are given in a humane and respectful manner, with minimal interference in the physiological process, while honoring the mother's choices.  She can identify problems (and) knows techniques for managing emergency situations..."
(midwiferytoday.com)

My wife had our baby in August at Clinica de San Francisco. It was an emergency c-section and the baby spent a week in ICU. It's not a major hospital but we were happy with them considering that the baby was 6 weeks early and had the umbilical cord wrapped 3 times around his neck and now he's healthy and happy.

She is Ecuadorian. I now have residency through marriage... technically my residency is as her dependant. I think it's called the 9V visa.

Congratulations on your healthy baby. :top:

And for obtaining residency. :)

The 9-V is the professional visa, 9-VI encompasses the marriage and dependence visas, according to the Cancilleria website.

cccmedia in Quito