Car rental from Budapest

Does anyone have any recommendations for car rental here? We want to drive to see family out of Budapest.

We are obviously looking for cheap, but decent service, in case anything goes wrong!

Thanks in advance :)

I am only passing on what I've been told but you can try  travel supermarket.com as they usually come up with the best deal, probably giving you a car from Thrifty in Budapest.

Why not take a bus or a train? There is bus service to most every village in Hungary. You can check bus routes in English:

http://ujmenetrend.cdata.hu/uj_menetrend/en/index.php

Of course, it will take longer, but you also "experience" Hungary more. For example, while in East Africa, while I could afford to take a private taxi most anywhere, I had the most fun and met some interesting people when I took a matatu.

Hungarians often like to give a little drink during socializing, such as wine or Palinka, and since the blood alcohol level for a driver is zero here, plan to say over night if you drive and drink any alcohol.

klsallee wrote:

Why not take a bus or a train? There is bus service to most every village in Hungary. You can check bus routes in English:

http://ujmenetrend.cdata.hu/uj_menetrend/en/index.php

Of course, it will take longer, but you also "experience" Hungary more. For example, while in East Africa, while I could afford to take a private taxi most anywhere, I had the most fun and met some interesting people when I took a matatu.

Hungarians often like to give a little drink during socializing, such as wine or Palinka, and since the blood alcohol level for a driver is zero here, plan to say over night if you drive and drink any alcohol.

I appreciate what you are saying, however last time we visited, the family drove us around all the time and we felt it might be nice this time to have a little freedom and give them a break (given that my sister in law is about 7 months pregnant now!)
We have used the train network quite a lot, it's great - we would just like a little freedom and independence this time around!

I think the main question is how long you'll need it?
You get very different rates for a few months than for a few days.

Stephanie99 wrote:

freedom and independence

Both good reasons to rent a car.

szocske wrote:

I think the main question is how long you'll need it?
You get very different rates for a few months than for a few days.

About 5 days. We have done a lot of googling and found the cheapest price online. I was just wondering if anyone had any insider tips!!
Thanks all :)

Fox autorent is reliable