English Teacher moving from Nam

Hi All,

I am a English teacher in Vietnsm now, I am looking to move to Malaysia next school year.  Where are there the most jobs in Malaysia?  I'd be willing to live elsewhere besides KL, but I'm not sure the best cities.  Also, do most expats come to Malaysia with a job beforehand like is customary with China and Korea and other countries?  Any advice from other teachers would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi depends what you mean by english teacher. If TEFL Malaysian salaries are low and arriving and expecting to get a job is very unwise. First time in Malaysia always get a job beforehand. TEFL has got better here in general but from a very low point!

Hi, my bad, I meant I am a TEFL certified English teacher.  I'm not a "teacher teacher" lol.  But,do most people get a job before moving to Malaysia?

Yes or waste all their savings - Malaysia especially KL is relatively expensive to live in and lots of locals teach EFL and you need a wp - hard in Malaysia. So best you get a job first

Hi, thanks man!

You will find it extremely difficult to obtain employment in a Teaching capacity here in Malaysia,unless you have a degree or at minimum a CELTA.if this is the case,then you can prearrange appointments at language schools,universities etc.Or you can simply walk in.There is a high demand for native speaking English Teachers.However the pay is not brilliant.The other alternative is to offer your services as a private tutor.Financial rewards are higher using this avenue.For further info email  [email protected]

Hi, I have a Bachelors degree in Economics from a university and a TEFL degree, but I'm not a "teacher teacher." In a nutshell, I am trying to find an Asian country with a high demand for teachers which pays well and isn't too arduous to get a ESL teaching job with. :)

Yes in dreamland near neverneverland!

It's called supply and demand - Thailand is nice but wages forTEFL have actually gone down since I left 5 years ago. It's called the great depression 2 and lots of grads with no jobs and who like to travel.

There are decent TEFL jobs in Malaysia but only for the best teachers.  Wages are low vs costs and Malaysia isnt so nice when poor

Hi,
ESL teachers don't get paid much here in KL. If you still are looking for a job, do drop me a mail. I know a centre looking for teachers. Cheers!

Why not go to Thailand? there are more prospects of getting a teaching job there than in malaysia

SaigonTed wrote:

I am trying to find an Asian country with a high demand for teachers which pays well and isn't too arduous to get a ESL teaching job with. :)

Well, Malaysia sure isn't what you are looking for then.

It's probably the most difficult place for a TEFL teacher to find work, and the salaries are embarrassingly low, compared to cost of living here.  Singapore might be the only SE Asian country that would be more difficult.

As a matter of fact, Ted, your requirements for an Asian country with a high demand and pays well probably doesn't exist any more.

If you have the right connections, China is your best bet.

I've been in this line for nearly 18 years, over 9 different countries.  I've never seen the industry in a worse state; largely due to poor economies and way too many teachers chasing after too few jobs.

I would advise anyone trying to make a living out of TEFL to reconsider carefully. I did and spent 4 years back in UK qualifying as a qualified teacher and gaining enough experience to work in international schools. I can now teach in a broad range of countries/schools and subjects. It means I can confidently expecxt to work as long as I want and earn decent money teaching. TEFL work is great for a year as a backpacker, but when older your students will want young blondes to teach them! And now lots of young attractive grads with no future are leaving the Great Depression 2 and backpacking. Salaries for TEFL in Thailand are lower now than 10 years ago. Terrible!