HCMC Taxi Fares Increasing- Don't Get Ripped - THE METER RULES!

There are over 11,000 legal taxis haunting the streets of TP HCM, plus thousands of illegal pirates whose sole intent is to rip you off.

It is impossible to adjust all the meters in a single day, city inspectors are the only people allowed to seal meters.

During this change-over period you might use taxi's from the same company over the same route and be charged different rates, ONLY PAY THE AMOUNT ON THE METER,

I you have a real dispute ask the driver to call the police. (don't do what one Australian did, punch the driver and end up killing him)

If the driver tries to ask for more money, as often happens, say No! and invite him to call the police. THE METER RULES.

Always insist on your full change (it's the law), and if he doesn't have the right change - the drivers loose (they usually run two purses - one in the shirt pocket and the other in the trouser pockets.

Pay the tip after you have the change, they will learn.

Notes:
= Always make a note of the decal number and the plate number;
= Always make a note of the drivers name (from the IC card displayed);
= Always make sure the driver gets out, engine off, if you have baggage.

Pirate taxi's usually use magnetic signs (like fridge stickers) and unsealed meters. AVOID!

be aware though that if you take a taxi from the Tan Son Nhat airport, you'll have to pay more than what is on the meter since the driver has to pay the exit fee from the airport and that fee is NOT on the meter. This fee applies for all cars exiting from the airport, not only taxis (I believe).
If I am not mistaken, it is 20 000 VND?

The Airports Corporation of VietNam has been formed to control all airport operations, which males sense operationally and from a unifying stand point.

They have implemented new rules.

I thought, Anetta, that the airport fee was charged by cabs discharging at the airort, i.e. on the way in?

Petrolimex Taxi, Festive Taxi, and Happy Taxi, have been allowed to drop off passengers at the airport, but not pick them up. Some Mai Linh cabs were under restriction, they actually gave several groups of taxis operating under their banner (which is why it's important to note the plate and decal numbers).

As usual all these new rules simply confuse the retail public and the drivers exploit it whilst they can.

A friend who visited last year was asked for a toll fee - he said he would pay at the toll booth  - needless to say no money was collected.

I believe you pay on the way out. At least, that is what I remember from my trip 5 days ago (as well as previous trips). Anyone is welcome to correct me if I am mistaken.

Yes, of course, you can pay the fee yourself instead of letting the driver paying first to avoid any cheating, but since I assume most of the expats don't speak Vietnamese, it is easier to just the driver pays first to avoid the lengthy explanation.

Also, I usually use the VinaSun taxis from the airport. However, they are not often visible. You just walk to the taxi stand (turn left when you exit from the arrival hall and walk about 70m to the end) and look for the VinaSun staff. They wear dark green shirt and red tie (same colors as their logo). Just tell them to get a VinaSun taxi and one will arrive within 2-3 minutes.

My last arrival at TSN airport (end of September) the driver paid on the way out.

Not to add more confusion to the thread but, if I remember right in-bound the driver gets a time stamped receipt, then on the out-bound he pays based on the amount of time he was at the airport.. If for some reason the receipt is lost the driver pays the max amount for parking. Makes sense, that's the way most international airport parking systems are set up.

So paying the parking fee can be high if the driver has been waiting a long time.

Driver pays.

Pay only meter value.

Use Vinasun.

There you go!

Vinasun has an extremely bad safety record. Mai Linh is a little better.

The best is VINA, with the all yellow paint job, you can also order a female driver.

Never take a white cab outside the international terminal, they have the highest rates (and are owned by the airports authority).

I agree, stay away from all taxis, except Vinasun and MaiLinh.

Code:

Viasun has an extremely bad safety record

I've never seen one of their taxis neither have I heard of them.

Dilemma.

Thanks for the tip.
I should be visiitng your city shortly from the USA

Anyone know anyone from Zimbabwe
Please let me know
[email protected]

Budman1 wrote:

Not to add more confusion to the thread but, if I remember right in-bound the driver gets a time stamped receipt, then on the out-bound he pays based on the amount of time he was at the airport.. If for some reason the receipt is lost the driver pays the max amount for parking. Makes sense, that's the way most international airport parking systems are set up.

Just coming home from the airport. Did not see any booth to give any receipt on the way in.

Anatta. of course you didn't see it, look at the calendar. Yesterday was the 5th day of the 4th lunar New year after the 3rd full moon. Everybody knows the toll booths gods go to Vung Tau for a secret meeting on that day.

Budman1 wrote:

Anatta. of course you didn't see it, look at the calendar. Yesterday was the 5th day of the 4th lunar New year after the 3rd full moon. Everybody knows the toll booths gods go to Vung Tau for a secret meeting on that day.

Thank goodness, a poster displaying sanity...... at last!

Haha!

Budman1 wrote:

Hm, strange. I was there too, but I did not see them there. They must have gotten lost in one of those massage parlors on the way.

Hey all, I will be arriving in Saigon soon. Can anyone tell me what the rate should be from the airport to District 1?

Jed

jedimac wrote:

Hey all, I will be arriving in Saigon soon. Can anyone tell me what the rate should be from the airport to District 1?

Jed

very much depending on traffic, but should be around 200 000 VND including the airport exit fee. Anything above 300 000 VND is too much.