Getting married in Morocco

Ok great, yes definitely hope and plan to take a male relative for the actual nikkah inshaaAllah.

And want to avoid using a lawyers services as all they will be doing is collecting my approval/decision from the courts...for 500 quid.

Yeah it's a complete rip-off. All that for something you can easily do yourself. I would suggest you don't do anything alone, and if you have to, find out the expected cost beforehand. No matter what happens when I'm there, and how many times I got ripped-off, and what have you, I enjoy it there more than here. There is more to life than petty money. Anyway it's always good to get away from the UK for a little while. So make the most of it! :)

what are the american guidelines you are aware of ?

Guys. What about visa ? Which visa to go for when going to morocco to get married ?

Absolutely...life there seems so much less stressful but suppose thats because its a holiday and i dont have to go to work. I have been offered a job there and would accept it (as would love to work and live in the heat for a while) if it wasnt for the fact that id need an income in the UK to apply for the visa after the marriage.

I wish id stayed longer this time but unfortunately i only had 1 week off work :(
Will just have to be patient and wait for my next trip inshaaAllah

Hi

Sorry i dont know about american guidelines as im british. I dont require a visa to visit morocco. However, all foreigners need to submit documents to the court in the city you wish to get married to get approval for the marriage.

Jojojojojo2015 wrote:

Absolutely...life there seems so much less stressful but suppose thats because its a holiday and i dont have to go to work. I have been offered a job there and would accept it (as would love to work and live in the heat for a while) if it wasnt for the fact that id need an income in the UK to apply for the visa after the marriage.

I wish id stayed longer this time but unfortunately i only had 1 week off work :(
Will just have to be patient and wait for my next trip inshaaAllah

Well for me, it's not just because I'm on holiday that it's less stressful there, but rather because I'm away from the materialistic, extravagant, selfish, narcissistic, dunya-focusing life in London. It gets a little too much at times for someone with opposite values, so spending any time in places where life is more simple, modest, caring, and spiritual, is always welcomed!

Definitely...its simplistic and i really like that.

So how long ago did you get married in Morocco? And in which city? How did u find the whole experience?

Jojojojojo2015 wrote:

Definitely...its simplistic and i really like that.

So how long ago did you get married in Morocco? And in which city? How did u find the whole experience?

Not yet married. But that's the plan for the foreseeable future InSha'Allah. I intend to move from the UK, so need to deal with this matter first before anything else. I will make Du'a for you. I ask you for the same. You're doing it only once (well hopefully!), so whether the experience turns out good or bad, at least you won't have to repeat it again. So personally I don't think you should worry about it (if you're). As long as you have enough faith in it, then leave the outcome to fate. :)

Thank you. I will also keep yu in my duas.

And yes I have every faith it will work out inshaaAllah as I performed istikhara a lot before I made my decision. Now that Allah has guided me in making my decision I am just going with the flow.

Can I ask, if you dont mind what you will do for work when you move to morocco inshaaAllah?

My experience on marrying a moroccan national.

10/11/2015

Salaam brothers and sisters inshaallah i will help those in confusion in regards to marrying a Moroccan national.

One must attain things...finance, good organisational skills, and last of all patience.

Inshaallah as we go through the steps that i went through, you will understand why you need these three.

I took about £1500 (excluding mahar and walima etc) to spend for taxi fees (40DH/ £3 back and forth) and in general eating etc although i stayed at fiance house i still needed the money. Train to rabat is around 180DH/£8 RETURN  FIRST CLASS for 2 people. We went there twice once for embassy and once for rings etc.

Connection in Morocco is helpful as it makes the process faster and less stressful, my fiancé uncle had a few friends in the court and police force so that made things slightly easy.

The Moroccan consulate website in London is rubbish and there system is not updated as off 12/11/2015.

While i was in UK The documents needed are:

Updated birth certificate £11**
ACRO police certificate £45**
3 months pay slip
Letter from employment**

One thing i was told i would need and at the end i found out i did not need it was NO IMPEDIMENT AND SHAHADAH CERTIFICATE+, This is because the law changed and they don't need a "no impediment" as of march 2014.

+Shahadah certificate was not needed because i had a muslim name.

If you have a typical bengali/Pakistan name like "mitu miah or pyare khan" these ridiculous names will get you into problems you will need a shahadah cert or go to adool and get a certificate in morocco. Probably end up paying money too. Even if you have a Muslim name find out from the court just in case.

Also if you a NON MUSLIM. Sorry I can't help as other non muslims did marry but i think they had to go to adool and testify they was muslim with 15 photos of themselves. You need to research on that.

**Best thing is scan those documents to your fiancé before you fly out and get her to get them translated. It cost around 250DH SO £15/20 per document. Trust me this saves a long time! Most likely a Days job. Make sure you do this!!

Translate:
Letter from employment.
Criminal record.
Birth certificate.
Capacity to marry (you'll get that from rabat embassy)

You need to prepare these documents and they all need to be dated within 3 months! So for example if your flying out in November 10th you will need all documents dated from September 10th onwards, Also police record can take 3/4 weeks so start on that first....

Your fiancé also needs to get a
Same load of documents too from
Her local authorities she can get them all in 2 days. Also she will need a pregnancy test certificate. She needs to go to the family court and get a list that will tell you everything you need. Make sure you both get the right documents one mistake and it can delay the whole process.

Ok go to the Uk gov website and book a appointment with the British embassy rabat. Also book the earliest possible as you will need to go to 2 more other places same day. So like 9am.

I flew out on a Sunday evening and started running around Monday onwards....

MONDAY
I exchanged money gave 200DH to get my medical certificate from the clinic. Also she should get her medical certificate aswell and  Collected my translated documents.

Got the train to rabat Monday evening as my interview at the embassy was at 9am we stayed at her aunties house so was lucky. Roads in rabat are busy so get a taxi Atleast 30 mins before interview takes a While to get there depending where your staying.

TUESDAY
9am
At the embassy you will have to take your passport and your fiancé passport and give them 1400DH/£100 you will sign a few forms and swear a affidavit.

They will give you two forms

1.    Certified copy of passport (certificate of nationality)
    2.    Capacity to marry (affidavit) this is also a single certificate.

10am
This interview takes 30 mins so once thats done go straight to the ministry of affairs and they will legalise those two documents. 40DH each. Queue is long but be patient and send your fiancé as those idiots don't speak English you will have to wait outside. Give her the money and your I.D (passport)

11.10am
Then go to the criminal justice (full of moody idiots) give a copy of your passport they will issue you with a clean record to show your clear in Morocco also they might say come back in 4 hours etc i waited 4.5 hours.

3.30pm-5.30pm
We got the train at 3.30pm back to her town and went straight to the translation office and got the 2 documents from british embassy translated (certificate or nationality and affidavit). But waited till Wednesday to collect it. Tbh we was told only to translate the capacity to marry and not the certificate of nationality. So again you need to refer to the list and find out what needs to be translated.

WEDNESDAY.
Collected the rest of the translated document and Went to court waited 3 hours in the heat and submitted the forms as long as the person in the court is happy with the forms she will open a case and you must go to the police for the interview. The court will
Make 5 copies of each document and make 5 files one for adool and one for police and other 3 for the court. That took the whole day.

THURSDAY
Went police for the interview they asked random stupid question like "do i own a house" they make it like they gonna pay my bills, he didn't ask much as her uncle knew someone in a high position,

I'm telling you arabs in general are so arrogant and dumb as hell i mean for god sake its AFRICA! not exactly heaven on earth!

We had a issue because my fiancé had lived and studied at another city so that delayed the process as the files got sent there but we had a connection in that town as her uncle was in the police force so was lucky Alhamdullilah.

FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY.

No news.

MONDAY FOLLOWING WEEK.

We was told the files arrived back into town and was waiting on confirmation for when it arrives back at court this is more or less the final process, once thats signed congrats may allah bless you.

Just wanted to say I booked 2 weeks and Alhamdullilah due to connections the process was easier if you don't have connection then may allah make things easy on you as others without connection still got married within 2/3 weeks so don't worry allah is with you.

The reason i wrote all this is because when I needed help i had no one, one brother was reluctant to help i mean he gave a few pointers and that was it other than that the brother would ignore my calls all I needed was 20 mins of his time. I made sincere dua to allah and it was allah who helped me sooo much. "Indeed allah is with the patient" (Quran)

Salaams, firstly congratulations. MashaAllah tabarakAllah. So happy you are married and completed the process quite quickly.

Secondly thank you so much for sharing your experience step by step. There have been a few people on here that have offered so much advice and info. i really appreciate you sharing your experience step by step as its recent.

Getting more than 2 weeks off work will be difficult for me so when i go i will have to ask them to wait until im back to complete the final stage if its not ready whilst im still there.

Your message has given me more confidence that things can happen quickly (although i have no connections in the courts/police), but i have Allah and thats all I need.

Which city did u marry in? If marrakesh please could i have details of where you had your documents translated please?

JazakAllah. May Allah bless ur marriage and grant u both a lifetime of happiness together...ameen.

Wsalaam btw sorry if im misleading you im actually at my fiancé and waiting for permission inshaallah we will get it tomorrow, i know this as the police told my uncle thats the files has arrived also our connection was rubbish i found out today lol my father in law said nothing helped Alhamdullilah allah helped us, im in meknes, sorry im in a rush so didn't read the full messege are you a brother or a sister lol also you need to ask your partner to go to the family court in marrakech and ask for the list every city has different rules

We haven't signed the nikkah yet inshaallah will do so tomorrow make dua that we do please, well mot sign the nikkah but get permission inshaallah nikah this Thursday please make dua jazakallah khair

Salaams,

Ahhh i see, but ur getting ur approval / nikkah tomorrow inshaaAllah so thats great news.

So how long did the whole process take you from beginning until tomorrow? Is it 2 weeks?

I'm a sister from the UK. I was in marrakesh a few weeks ago and went to the family court and got the list. Before I go back for the nikkah/aqd i will make sure i get a up to date copy of the list inshaaAllah.

Please may I ask... how much did the court/document process cost you? Looked back at ur message and iv calculated it as less than £300 for obtaining documents, getting them signed/stamped/approved etc. Is that correct?

I know you said u took 1500 but that includes cost of ur walima, rings and food etc im assuming. Please can you let me know? Thanks.

Oh and inshaaAllah u will get approval tomorrow, and have the nikkah on Thursday as planned. Can i ask why the nikkah is on a different day to when u get approval?

Im sure i read somewhere on this forum that u get court approval and sign the papers there and then which is the nikkah. Please can u confirm this? Thank u so much again.

Anyway im sure ur busy...may everything go as planned, or better thsn u planned tomorrow inshaaAllah. Look forward to hearing more inshaaAllah.

good luck with the nikaah  :cool:

Sorry had to go to a friends house they didn't have internet....yes inshaallah tomorrow we get the permission and then we book a day with the adool to
Come, rabat embassy was about £100 max, we haven't paid the court yet been told its about 1000DH MAX thats about £70, no £1500 was just spending and i did buy her ring for about £300 nothing fancy just a simple ring, yeh your looking at around £500 max on fees etc i always give a high number so its better, inshaallah il messege you tomorrow and let you know what the situation is but wallahi the system is a absolute mess!

Ok so i landed sunday started sorting things from monday and today is monday? So basically say 7/8 days but you need atleast 2 weeks just incase of problems basically the longer the better, had their system been organised wallahi this would be sorted within 3 days and why the hell the police need to see the documents is beyond me.

Also find a approved translator usually these guys have many people go to them for these things and the lady we went to in meknes showed us other works they was doing for foreign nationals, don't listen to people when they "give us this much money we will help" thats rubbish, il make dua for you inshaallah you will get it done, trust me its not all that bad dont stress its easier than you think, book 2 weeks, start from a monday make use of the "working days", also dont worry if you dont have connection because mine didn't help at all from what ive been told, it was all lip service. So your in the same position as me inshaallah you'll get it done in 14 days

Thank you for the info and speedy response. I really appreciate it. Lol I honestly dont understand that part either...Police getting involved in marriages... lol they've obviously got a lot of time on their hands.

You're right...I imagine it can all be done in a few days but they like to long things out there it seems 😒
Will keep you in my duas...look forward to hesring good news inshaaAllah.

Jazakallah khair its fine don't worry everything will go to plan inshaallah like i said before get those documents scanned and translated before you you get there also they most likely wont release them until you go there and give them the originals, also make sure your fiancé is checking up on them to see if they are translating them...you want them ready before you get there, make sure your partner has his stuff ready too or else you'll have delays, oh yeh you need about 6/8 passport pics

I will do, thank you, as iv read on here its best to take copies of everything, and extra passport pics too. I've got a few months until i go for the whole process inshaaAllah due to pre-booked family vacation. But i will start gathering the documents etc in the uk soon and scan then across for translation inshaaAllah.

One of the documents on the list from marrakesh court is my employment contract. Lol  i seriously do t get why morocco needs to see that for a marriage application!

Its a arab thing trust me they just want to show some sort of authority, inshaallah it goes to plan may allah make it easy upon you. The fat lady in the court wrote i was a Bangladeshi national when i had a British passport they think you have to be "white" to obtain a british passport very thick people, also the guy in border control asked me if i was hindu and my name is ahmed i also have a beard i mean seriously they think there the only muslims on the planet

No they don't think you have to be white to obtain the passport, as many Moroccans are dual nationals of European countries - so they obviously know about dual nationality. They are just upset that they can no longer treat you beneath them, as with your British passport, you're not just a "third-world Bengali" - But a "first-world Brit". Had you came straight from Bangladesh, the treatment would of been even worse. Unfortunately that's the reality in all Arab countries - towards Asians. Having a Western passport just lessens the bad attitude shown towards you. Forces them to respect you a little bit more. She intentionally ignored your British nationality and put down the other, out of disrespect & envy. In other-words she's saying she doesn't care if you're a Brit, that you're still a Bengali in her eyes. Disgusting. As for the guy in border control, he was obviously taking the piss, wanting to provoke you into a reaction, so that he can then give you a telling off. Show off his power. You need a lot of patience as an Asian in Arab countries unfortunately. I hope the family has accepted you wholeheartedly.

made me feel better lol well that's kinda rich coming from african although Bangladesh is a shit hole she shouldn't judge me by my parents nationality, anyways i suppose thats the case with some people, its one thing getting agro from the "gulf arabs" as they have the money, power etc but a morrocan?!? I mean seriously anyways Alhamdullilah my fiancé family into the deen so they was accepting her father Alhamdullilah is very nice

It's not rich coming from a Moroccan. As Gulf-Arabs themselves go there to get married (or sex tourism). And in the gulf, sometimes when a Moroccan woman manages to wed a well-to-do man, she's accused of using black-magic to get him. But that's probably down to jealousy than sihr. So they do have 'power' in some sense beside money. As people are travelling from all parts of the world to get married in Morocco. Clearly they have something or you wouldn't of went! And lets face it, African usually refers to blacks/sub-saharans, and they aren't.

No i actually went there to marry as i always wanted to marry someone who was not of asian descent, main thing she's muslim thats all that matters nationality means nothing to me although to some its everything but thats life i suppose

Does anyone know a good wedding make up artist, hair stylist,  for asian people in casabalnca?  I am getting married next year. 

Also,  any nice place we can rent? in casablanca

No sorry best thing is ask your partner if he/she is from the area im sure they would know someone...

Shykco wrote:

No i actually went there to marry as i always wanted to marry someone who was not of asian descent, main thing she's muslim thats all that matters nationality means nothing to me although to some its everything but thats life i suppose

Oh come on, that's the Islamically correct answer (that nationality doesn't matter), but not the real answer. As it wasn't a choice of any Muslim from any country outside of India/Bangladesh/Pakistan - for instance you wouldn't of went to Burkina Faso to get married. That would never be a choice. Nothing against that place, but you get my point. Morocco was a choice out of a select few you considered. A lot of Asians go there, it's not a random choice.

Course it was a random choice we met on a matrimonial site I didn't specifically choose someone who was Moroccan so therefore it was random and I don't get your point infact i was on the site looking for a revert sister...and you don't even know my intention [Moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Pointless argument
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Gentleman, 
Really this kind of bickering  over why someone else chose the person they chose is  pointless. No one should presume to "know" the motivation or attraction of someone else's relationship. It does not matter what your own personal nationality/ethnicity/religion is nor does it matter how you met your intended for this topic.  Nor does it matter why you chose to marry the person you are attempting to marry. The fact is, we all chose the person we did for our own reasons. I don't want people to judge me or my husband because we chose to enter into a mixed marriage.  On this topic we are either trying to get information about getting married in Morocco or we are trying to share knowledge we have aquired about our own experiences.

Don't be offended by the opinions of others.
Don't pass judgements on the choices of others.
Be respectful and remember there are thousands of people reading this thread. It is not your private conversation.

I respect your experience with other men of different cultures.  I respect your opinion of what you may have observed from those men culture's attitude toward ethnicly different women.  I can attest that you are not the first person to observe such things or criticize such actions. BUT, not every person within that ethnic group carries  that attitude.  Please bear in mind that some people may actually practice what they preach....if a man acts as a hypocrite,  it is between him and God (Allah) and in this case the woman  (or father of the woman) he intends to marry. From my perspective,  I can see no evidence that anyone has committed any act of hypocrisy simply by meeting and choosing to marry a Moroccan person.
I suggest that if a man feels so strongly about the attitudes of another man's culture that he not allow his daughter/sister/mother (etcetera) to marry into it. Unless you are this man's intended's family and you have first hand knowledge that this man has committed this specific sin, don't attack him for the actions of other people he may never have met.
Moroccan culture and laws welcome marriages between all Muslims.  Being Muslims, Moroccan men are also welcomed to marry Christian or Jewish women as well. If you are Muslims,  then you know this is the "Islamically correct answer (that nationality doesn't matter)"
Calm down
May God bless you, your wife, and your family.
May. GOD BLESSINGS set upon everyone who reads this topic and finds it useful to share/learn how to get married in Morocco

Hello everyone,

You will notice that some posts were moderated. Some of them have been removed from this thread.

Please do not argue on the forum. Let us share without indulging in any unnecessary criticism.

Thank you Nebraska Girl for your words of wisdom  :thanks:

All the best,
Bhavna

Nebraska Girl - I disagree completely. I was calm. I didn't attack them personally until they attacked me & I defended myself from their unnecessary & disgusting abuse. I didn't do anything apart from politely say what is clear for all to see anywhere in the world. That nationality does matter to them (yet some like to pretend otherwise). They had an opportunity to calmly prove to me how I'm wrong about this. I would of then accepted their comment, and that would be it from me. Instead they immediately resorted to personal insults, which is what people do when they can not refute you and know you're right. I never insulted them until they began calling me names. Once someone begins name-calling, they've lost as they can't handle the truth. I am a frank person, and not afraid to talk about subjects that may lead to being abused. I can handle whatever is thrown at me, as I've heard every insult under the sun. I find it funny that they think I value their comments to the point I would let it offend me. Certainly not from those who get married to a randomer found somewhere on the web. In fact I feel very sorry for them. It's sad.

XB23,
I understand your desire to try to call out someone for perhaps not being as honest as you think they should be to the person he wishes to marry. We unfortunately cannot save people from making a mistake if they don't wish to be saved. If a man is misrepresenting himself,  it is sad to the people involved. But, it is not in your best interest invite abuse by calling anyone out for something you can't prove and doesn't really matter. In this modern age many people meet and get into relationships with people they meet on the Internet.  I agree that  most internet relationships fail because one or both people have unrealistic expectations.  BUT, some do work out well. Also, sometimes what we think about someone elses choices in life are not based on genuine facts but on our own emotional response to past experiences. If that is even possibly it is best to not get involved. After all we are talking about grow adult people.

Although this is not one of them, there are many forums on the internet to meet people. There are many forums specific to Muslims looking to meet international men/women for marriage. Some of these sites screen better than others. Although nationality may not really matter in Islam, there specific points of physical attraction between people that may make a difference.  Some people like brown eyes and others like blue. I know some very fair skinned girls who are attracted to very dark skinned men and the other way around. Some people like the sound of a French accent and another may like an Indian accent. All of those factors will make it appear as if Nationality is playing a much greater part in a chioce of a partner than it really is.  In my case nationality didn't matter because my pionts of attraction were a little broad spectrum. I wasn't actually looking for a husband when I found the man I wanted to spend my life with. It was an act of God that I ended up in the right place at the right time.  But, for my husband his points of attraction have always been more in line with someone of my specific ethnic origin....but nationality wasn't apart of it. In fact if he had know all the diffuculties with the Moroccan Government of entering a mixed marriage, he probably wouldn't have started talking to me on the day we met. Throughout his life he has had a handfull of relationships.  All his relationships were women that shared similar physical characteristics,  but some were of different nationalities (some Moroccans too). 

I hope you understand I am not trying to chastise specifically you. I am just offering my advise.