Close

Getting married in Brazil

Can she request a Fiance's Visa on the U.S. with her parents consent?(if you have information about it)

I have been reading these post and not to discourage young love, The realities are that she might be in for an extreme culture shock living in Brazil. Although it sounds romantic to live here maybe she should try it some before she commits. Not much is shown on US television about the realities of life in Brazil, For instance there is no mention of the crime on US television about the instances of robberies and assaults on the street.  Visiting here for 90 days or 180 days on an extended tourist visa might be a good way for her to find out first hand the realities.  This would laso give her time to get a little older your advice William is sound as usual.

Johnc, by marrying a "brazilian girl", a lot of people are looking for a solution to escape from their country because of misery, war, or perscecution. So I believe for them Brazil is a relatively safe country. Actually the most difficult part (and dangerous) would be living with the "Brazilian girl" (and her family) but that's another story ;-)

Yes but she is a citizen of the US so she is not from one of those war torn countries looking for a safe place to move from. He is from Brazil not the other way around so I am saying she could be in for some culture shock moving from the US to Brazil. Not that it is all that bad I moved here from the US to be with my wife. It doesn't matter to me that I moved from the US to Brazil I am adjusting quite well.  But her being as young as she is, doesn't really know anything about the world in fact she probably still lives at home with her parents and probably it would be a double shock to her. Being married and living in Brazil.  On the other hand he could move to the US being married to an American citizen which might be the plan anyway.

I personally think that the culture shock is going to be much greater for her in many ways because she's a young woman.

First she's going to quickly find out that Brazilian men consider women merely as property. they don't respect or value them in the least. Brazilian women are abused and killed by their male partners more often than in almost any other country on earth and nothing gets done about it. That is going to become obvious quite quickly to her, and I'm sure be of great concern.

She's going to find that regardless of her level of education in the USA, women are very discriminated against in the workplace here in Brazil. Women earn only 75% of a male's salary when they do exactly the same job. That's certainly not going to sit well. Her employment options and thus her entire future here are going to be strictly limited. She may even end up feeling like she's a prisoner to boyfriend/husband being completely financially dependent upon him.

I think that the most difficult adaptation for a young woman is going to be trying to get used to a much lower standard of living than she grew up with. We older expats who come hear, for the most part, have a lifetime of wealth building behind us. We have savings, assets and pensions that we bring with us. Those usually are from countries with much stronger currency so we make even more. She is not going to have that and will be automatically thrown into the same situation as the average Brazilian young woman. Kiss goodbye the days spent at the mall shopping for clothes and makeup, kiss goodbye the snacks at fast-food joints in the mall with her girlfriends, looking around her at poverty in this country, etc.

I really don't give the relationship much of a chance at all if she ever does come here. Personally I think she'll change her mind long before that anyway, especially if anybody tells her about the REAL Brazil and she begins thinking with her head and not her young female hormones.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello ,I have submitted all
My documents to Cartorio.After a long process My marriage day was given last friday.I will be officially married on 25 of January 2016.I have extended my stay here just once and i got another 3 months .My 6 months period will be over by 9 of January 2016.So I will be overstaying here for 16 days.The officials saw my passport and didn't bother with the future based overstaying issue.Well any ideas about that ? Will I  have to face some difficulties?I never applied for RNE before.Please also advise me how to get a work permit after marriage.Cheers .

Hello ,I have submitted all
My documents to Cartorio.After a long process My marriage day was given last friday.I will be officially married on 25 of January 2016.I have extended my stay here just once and i got another 3 months .My 6 months period will be over by 9 of January 2016.So I will be overstaying here for 16 days.The officials saw my passport and didn't bother with the future based overstaying issue.Well any ideas about that ? Will I  have to face some difficulties?I never applied for RNE before.Please also advise me how to get a work permit after marriage.Cheers .

No issues at all, the worst case scenario is that they Federal Police might ask you to pay the small overstay fine (R$8.28 per day) when you apply for permanency, but they are OBLIGATED to take your application regardless of the overstay. You'll have no problem obtaining the Carteira de Trabalho once you're married.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Hello James
I appreciate your replies.Finally I got married today in Montes Claros.We want to live in Belo Horizonte .Where am I supposed to go to obtain Cart. De Trabalho? Where should i start my permanent residency process? My wife has been pregnant for 3 months by now.She is Brazilian.One of my foreign friends advised me to start all the process on Brazilian Child .However I 'd prefer to follow your advice instead.Please advise me Which is easier?Should I start all my process based on marriage or Should I wait for my baby to be born?

Not true

I don't need to know you, but I know the system in Canada

You are being ignorant because you had a bad experience with the system. But I believe that the majority of people that have gone through the system would agree that your statement was incorrect on many levels.
If you don't want comments, don't make statements like that

Hi new to Brazil. My girlfriend and I are looking to get married. But having issues with the due process on this because I need to stay down because she's pregnant. We just waiting for documents from Canada but how do I go about getting a time extension for my visa till the documents come or what are next steps in this aspect

Anything helps. Thanks in advance. If anyone uses WhatsApp lemme know

Hi there welcome to a fellow Canadian. You have to to the federal police asap to extend. Go on the website for the federal police and see what's needed before you go there. You will need the application and, fee, etc

Expatriate health insurance in Brazil

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Brazil

Moving to Brazil

Find tips from professionals about moving to Brazil

Travel insurance in Brazil

Enjoy stress-free travel to Brazil

Flights to Brazil

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Brazil

2 million members!

Watch later