Getting married in Egypt

it's all games :(

What do you  mean?  For me, this is not a game and I am seriously trying to get to Egypt to marry
my fiancé.  I just need help to find out the legalities and what do we do?

If you allow me to give you an advice... please check the stories of the other foreign ladies in the expat website who faced a lot of challenges. Make sure he is not just after the visa or your money. Best of luck.

Salaam Everyone !

I know this is an old thread but I want to know the legal procedures of getting married in Cairo.
I am an Indian and he is an Egyptian. We both are Muslims.

Anyone from similar nationalities?
Which country is easier to get married and settled in? Also, what are the medical requirements in Egypt?

If anyone can give more information regarding the minimum salary benchmark of $25000 for foreigners seeking employment in India, It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not all egyptians are the same..I feel.

Honestly,  can't the employees of expat.com come up with anything different. I for one am sick of the same old topics and have decided to unsubscribe this site is so boring

Hi all,

I am a female getting married in April to a Sri Lankan. I am Egyptian and I need to know what documents are needed to get our marriage done. Also I am trying to get my visa because I am moving there so what are the papers needed for that too?

If any one can help that would be great

Thank in advance

Hello,
Could you please clarify what is the process if the Ukrainian bride already has a resident work visa? Is it still required to get the document proving that she is not married from the Ukrainian embassy?
Thanks a lot!

Yes you still need a letter from the embassy ..
It is to  verify that you are not married in your home country

Hello everyone,

I am  albanian and i want to marry my egyptian fiance but  i can't get information on what  documents  i need in order to do that.

yes its a must even if she is married orfi and have a kids for ten years or even if she obtained that document from ukraine , you must issue it from ukrainian embassy and their you will find me :))

Hello, I'm God willing planning to finish the marriage process with my fiance we started from three years ago in Cairo. Unfortunately we were both very naive to path of procedures that must take place before I was to arrive in Egypt, and the marriage process came to a halt, because I didn't have my divorce papers translated to Arabic, and certified by the Egyptian Embassy in the US prior to coming to Egypt.

I've since taken care of all this part, everything on that in which the Egyptian Embassy in Washington requires. However, I'm wanting to know a couple of things. The first is, my fiance and I cannot find any expiration date on the papers we did three years ago, when doing the marriage papers. I hope they are still good, but just in case I'm planning on staying in Egypt a month just in case we have to start all over again. I don't know if anyone knows of this, and weather or not we would need to start over again. Anyhow, regardless still staying a month. I loved it there my last visit, and really can't wait to be back, and spending some time again. I have one daughter whose now eleven, from my previous marriage, but she is already mentioned in my divorce papers. Is there any things I need to have when it comes to having a daughter from my previous marriage? I have been divorced since 2012, so it's been a pretty long time since I was married before. I have been with my Egyptian fiance for nearly five years now, and we are really anxious now to finally be fully legally married. Eventually, we plan to have him live here with me in the US, however, we are aware that with the way things are going with lots of changes in policies, and stuff, we may have to live in Egypt.

The other thing I want to know is I also heard from a woman who married in Morocco,  she said I need to have my baptismal certificate, since I was raised Catholic, and it has to be translated before I come, and I guess also sent into the Egyptian Embassy in Washington first, prior to going to Cairo before we can proceed to finish the marriage process. Obviously that's understandable to me, because I will be marrying an Egyptian Muslim man, and I'm assuming sure they want to make certain I'm not an Atheist, which I'm not. 

The post office thing I read on here, for family fund, I'm not sure if we did this, as I can't remember now, since we had gone to so many places. How much is that in USD? We did the American Embassy thing first in Cairo, and much of the Egyptian government process stuff, until we got to my divorce papers that were not translated at the time, so anyhow, I been looking for a site like this. I want to make absolutely sure this time I have everything I need, so it doesn't end up being another costly wasted trip.

Word of advice to those of you who are American, and trying to get a hold of someone at the Egyptian Embassy's in the US. It takes a lot of patients when calling them. Mondays are the worst to call, and chances are you won't get a hold of anyone. Most of the time you will hear a message any day you call saying, please call back between 9 and 1. Don't give up, just keep calling back over and over again, and eventually you will get through, but it may take some days. Also be very specific what you are looking to do with your marriage process procedures as they won't spend much time with you on the call. It's terrible for getting any answers I know, but it just takes persistence. I hope I don't have to call them anymore, but chances are I will with all the paperwork you need prior to going to Egypt to marry. :(

I don't understand why u ladies wanna or must marry an Egyptian guy? What is the secret behind? What they have better than the men in ur area or those ones who share the same mentality and growing up mind better than a man from another culture and religion? It will always remain a huge secret for me. Most naive ladies do that cos of they poverty and less education. I didn't see a career forigner woman will sell her house and leave her job from her country to be with a man.....really? WTF?

meme1 wrote:

I don't understand why u ladies wanna or must marry an Egyptian guy? What is the secret behind? What they have better than the men in ur area or those ones who share the same mentality and growing up mind better than a man from another culture and religion? It will always remain a huge secret for me. Most naive ladies do that cos of they poverty and less education. I didn't see a career forigner woman will sell her house and leave her job from her country to be with a man.....really? WTF?

:top:

I don't think people fall in love with the country and culture only when it comes to marriage. Obviously they fell in love with the man and it just so happens that man came from Egypt that man could be from Somalia and it would be a somali message board or from Ukraine or from Ireland. But because he is Egyptian and this is a board post in dealing with subjects pertaining to Egypt it makes sense to find foreigners posing different questions.  I think it's more of just helping each other:)

Hi Meme1
The reasons these issues arise are relatively simple .. now i am generalising somewhat so there is some leaway for error
First .. most of the women are mature and when (most not all) women get mature they don't really get noticed in there own country ...
Second ... Young or old they are usually vunerable and naive and usually have some bad relationship expreience in the past... and view Egyptian men through the lens of their own culture and take them at face value
Third the men usually show them serious attention ... lots of reasons here .. casual female relationships are difficult in conservative egypt .. and western women are considered easy.. and western women are considerd rich ... and a passport to a better life outside of egypt
Fourth .. throw in the exotic holiday athmosphere and BOOM
And so ... mature women getting attention from good looking men who are not with them for themselves but with alterior motives ...
A recipie for a disaster ..
Regards
Ray

Misterbig_Ireland wrote:

Hi Meme1
The reasons these issues arise are relatively simple .. now i am generalising somewhat so there is some leaway for error
First .. most of the women are mature and when (most not all) women get mature they don't really get noticed in there own country ...
Second ... Young or old they are usually vunerable and naive and usually have some bad relationship expreience in the past... and view Egyptian men through the lens of their own culture and take them at face value
Third the men usually show them serious attention ... lots of reasons here .. casual female relationships are difficult in conservative egypt .. and western women are considered easy.. and western women are considerd rich ... and a passport to a better life outside of egypt
Fourth .. throw in the exotic holiday athmosphere and BOOM
And so ... mature women getting attention from good looking men who are not with them for themselves but with alterior motives ...
A recipie for a disaster ..
Regards
Ray

Hi Misterbig,
I hope you can help me here. I am a Spanish citizen and planing to marry my Egyptian partner. My question is, once married, she could have the same rights as an Spanish citizen? if we divorce, she will be entitled to half of the earnings? , a pension? the children? or she would have whatever is in the dowry?. I guess you dont have exact answers, but some information would be really helpful.
Thanks!

Hi Ivan
The question and the answer are not straight forward and are reasonably complex as they relate to marriage law in the country you reside in and divorce in.
If you intend to marry in Egypt and live in Spain and she will have residency in Spain you would have to all rights in Spain and the laws of Spain apply.
Now is you live and reside in Egypt and divorce the the laws of Egypt apply ...
it get more complex if you live in one and try to divorce in another .... and you need a Lawyer and a good one to answer that ...
If you live in Spain and have kids ... even more complex ...
If i were you I would try and stick to living in one and divorcing in the same if needed ... will cost a lot less ...
Hope I have helped
Ray

The egyptian ministry

Hi me and my Egyptian partner are planning to get married (I'm British) could you please explain to me how it works if he is Muslim and I am Christian will that be a problem for us? We did already attempt this when we was in Cairo at the British embassy but we could move any further with paper work as he hadlost his Egyptian id at the time we are currently living in Qatar so would just like a rough idea how easy and long it would take for our next visit

Thank you
C.

Hi Chelsea
Getting married in Egypt ... a non national to a national is complicated as is everything in Egypt ... it took me from June to September in 2014 and about 3 visits with a lot of toing and froing ... and I got a Lawyer to do some of the leg work.
It is OK for a non Muslim woman to marry a Muslim man but not the other way round.
There is only one place in Cairo that will provide the marriage of an Egyptian to a non-Egyptian ... the Marriage Court in the ministry of Justice in Cairo.
The laws and procedures may have changed so you need some one to visit and get the current requirements and it can be different if one or both parties are divorced.
Some web sites below from the embassies that will give you an outline of what is involved
The Australian Embassy and the US embassy for their citizens but the principals apply to any non-national 
And I would phone your embassy ahead to enquire about details and if appointments have to be made etc for some of the documentation

Best of luck

Ray

https://egypt.embassy.gov.au/caro/4.htmlhttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-an … -for-egypthttps://www.thespruce.com/egypt-marriag … on-2303123https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -in-egypt/

Thanks for replying, when I first went to the British embassy in Cairo I was asked to fill out a form and submit another document on the computer which is what you then take to the ministry however we didn't get that far due to him not having his id... but what procedure comes next when we go to the embassy with passport photos 2 whiteness will they then ask for a religious certificate from me because I don't have anything that shows that which I'm worried about. What is the paper work that the Lawer takes care of?

C

Hi Chelsea

Now ... this could be and most likely is changed ....  you really do need to have it checked out on the ground

The basics were:
1. Letter of freedom to marry from Embassy
2. Get this translated to Arabic and certified
3. Get these then authenticated in the ministry of foreign affairs
4. A pre-marriage medical cert from a public hospital for both parties
5. Visa Residency for 3 months for you touristic will do from Mogamma
6. A stamp from the post office I think it was 50 LE
7. 5 passport photos each
8. Your passport
9. His ID

If you or he is divorce ... more need

I was divorced and a non national man marrying an Egyptian woman with an age difference of more than 15 years so was a more complicate and more documentation and laws ... so Lawyer need

Regards

Ray

Wow that's quite a lot of info okay so what exactly is the hospital certificate for ? Neither of us have been married before. And can you remember how long in took to get documents translated and attested

The certs are for medical exams and test you have to have by law to certify you can get married ... it is the law ... now don't ask me the details as we did not actually get the exam just paid the money and got the certs.. but I don't know how it will be for you ... you will need your partner to check it out where and more delays and queues and admin

Getting everything attested ... leg work done by Lawyer .... queues ... holidays ... come back ... some embassy signatures not registered right ... a day should do it but I would suggest you allow a week and not near Ramadan or feasts or any public holidays ...
It is Egypt ...

And you really do need to get my experience checked out as currently is or not ..

Hoping to sort this by the end of June so thank you so much for all this information it's been really helpful

Glad to be of assistance..
Best of luck
Ray & Asmaa 👍😀

Hi Chelsea,
I would like to tell you how I did it if it is going to be possible for you. We had our marriage easily done in the EU country trouble free and then registered in Egypt in 10 minutes!
If it is by any means possible for your fiancé to get a visa, it will save you a big deal of trouble in Egypt.

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if a religion certificate is obligatory to marry? I am christian catholic, is it possible to get this certificate from a church in Egypt or should it be my country?

Thank you for your help!

I mostly think it is possible to get in the church here
Like for Muslims as well

Hi thank you for your reply Could you explain the procedure of doing in in England it eu country

Hi this is sometning I would also like to know as I have no proof of religion

Hi everbody,

I got a baptism certificate from my country (as my religion wasn't mentionned on the embassy paper). Now I would like to know: Should I make translation of this certificate in my country or is it fine to make it in Egypt?

And which stamps this certificate needs before to give it at the Ministry of Justice?

Thank you!

Hi could you please explain if you have a civil marriage are you still married under sharia law ?

Hi,

My fiance and I are christian so I don't know about sharia law. Yes we will make a civil marriage.

Hi I would like some advise, me and my fiancé have been together for 4 years we are both living in Qatar but planning to get married in Egypt soon, he is Muslim and I am Christian. Could you please tell me what sort of things get put into the marriage contract, is it allowed to put that he is not allowed to marry another women whilst married to me if he is happy to sign this?
Any information would be great jusy so I have an understanding of what most contracts are like.
Thank you C

Hi I wanted to ask another question do you know if it's possible to put in your marriage contract that you want marry another women whilst already married my fiancé has said he is happy to put this in the contract but he has never heard of anyone does this before I just want to know it this is possible

I had bad experience in my marriage procedure. I'm divorced for 5 years in USA. I called the Egyptian embassy in USA for my location to see if I can get the divorce paper translated and stamped as stated in the rules on the website. They claimed I can do it in Cairo. We had a attorney help us thru all the procedures up to the divorce decree. They said I had needed the stamp and translation before I came. And the wording on my divorce decree needed to state “Final” which it just said decree “annulment of marriage resulting in Divorce” Talk about a mess. I came back to the states and filed at my court to reword my decree to mention final in it. They looked at me and said it's says you're divorced. But they did reword it.
As far as the translation I never had it finished because the state I must travel to is far and that Egyptian Embassy was unorganized again. So as a result we never got married. It's really upsetting to go thru so much hoops for something so simple but expensive.

Good luck with your efforts ... I still we be moving to Egypt part time but I think marriage is not a option for me in the near future- we were heart broken ❤️

Hello. I am a Norwegian citizen with Norwegian and Russian citizenship. I will marry in Egypt with my fiance. The Norwegian Embassy in Egypt states: Proof of religion must be translated into Arabic and then legalized in Norway. Contact a church / church, mosque or synagogue to receive such proof. Is it necessary to legalize such proof in Norway, if you get proof of religion in the country to be married, and you should live in this country?