Getting married in Denmark

hej send a message on fb , i can reply all your questions

Hi guys
Me a citizen of Tanzania want to get into a civil partnership in Denmark. My significant other is a British citizen. I am doing this because I find it relatively easier to get married in Denmark as to get married in UK. Since no special visa is required and a lot of easier conditions
I need to go through this as quick as possible will least possible hassle. I wont spend more than a week in denmark to get married. So what is your advice for me. Which Kommune or which way is the quickest and hassle-free.
Not: I do not intend to remain, live, or acquire citizenship in Denmark it is just a marriage visit.

Thank you

Hi, I am Serge from Holland. I want to marry my Peruvian girlfriend in November. Denmark seems to have the friendliest rules to do so. However, a residence permit from an European Union country is obligatory. Since she is working in Peru now, and will come over for marriage (after which I'll join her in Peru), this is a bit confusing: what forms of valid residence permits from an European Union country do exist?

My latest information is that a stamp in her passport that provides a 90 day entrance to all Schengen countries will do. Since 2016 Peruvians do not need a visa any more, so she will get Schengen entrance by arrival in the EU.

My question: is a 90 days EU entrance stamp in her passport a valid residence permit for marriage in Denmark?

Much obliged for your interest!

Serge and Kathy  :)

What can be better than asking the authorities themselves? Then you will be guaranteed a 100 % correct up to date answer.

There are 98 municipalities in Denmark. Just ask the municipality where you want to be married.

Hi Nellie!

That is a better idea than calling the Danish embassy in the Netherlands I guess. The woman I spoke there did not even know Peruvians get Schengen entrance without a visa these days. Then she asked why I did not get married in the Netherlands, and when I explained her Dutch immigration laws are much tougher than the EU laws, she refused to believe that. Since she was about to destroy my idea of Danish people as smart, friendly and professional, I hung up the phone.

Since we will arrive by plane, Copenhagen seems the most logic choice. So I will google the contact for the municipality of Copenhagen.

Thanx 4 your answer! :)

Serge & Kathy

Hi Serge

I agree with you that the employee at the embassy is a bad representative for Denmark.  As it has become pretty common for foreign couple to be married in Denmark, she ought to know the rules, but as she obviously doesn't, she could have offered you to find out.

I'll suggest to you that you contact the municipality of Copenhagen. They are experts in foreign marriages. … dlaendinge

The website is:

I hope you'll get a satisfying answer, but else you are very welcome again.

I wish you a long and merry life together.

Dear Nellie

Thanx 4 your support, you just saved my high esteem of Danish people.  Also the contact of the municipality of Copenhagen comes in very handy: it saves part of my "homework" for tomorrow :)

The answer on the obligatory residence permit from an European Union country I kindly received from It appears that the 90 days Schengen visit passport stamp my gf receives when entering the EU is sufficient.

There are quiet some agencies like that facilitate marriages in Denmark these days. However, although their help could come in handy, their prices can be steep. Therefore it would be interesting to check with the municipality of Copenhagen if such services are recommendable, or can be done without.

And last but not least, thanx 4 your good wishes, that we would like to return, as shared good wishes are double good wishes :)

Serge & Kathy

I would save my money to the wedding agencies for better purposes and use the authorities free service. I am confident that you can find something else to spend your money on. (Else let me know, and I'll start my own agency in a hurry and should be glad to welcome you as my first customers.  ;) )

It has become quite widespread to be married in Denmark. E. g. the island Aeroe has made a business out of wedding packages for tourists. More than 10 % of the tourist income is due to this new and growing industry. As Aeroe similar to all the other small Danish islands has economic problems, this industry is of great help for them. By the way, Aeroe (:Ærø) is a very beautiful little island with its idyllic 'capital', Ærøskøbing. If you had gone for a romantic summer wedding, I would absolutely have recommended this island for the purpose, but in November, I would also choose Copenhagen.

Please, share your experiences here on the forum or in a private message to me.

Questions and answers about formalities

Ask your question
Aarhus business academy
By independet007
validity of cenomar
By treeena
PR for doctors and dentists
By dr.qurratulain12
Polic Clearance Certificate
By RJ29
Registration upon arrival to Denmark - advice needed!
By ronniesafarov

Expatriate health insurance in Denmark

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Denmark

Moving to Denmark

Find tips from professionals about moving to Denmark

Travel insurance in Denmark

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Denmark

Flights to Denmark

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Denmark