Getting married in Finland

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Finland or who are about to get married in Finland to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Finland? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Finland)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Armand wrote:

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Finland or who are about to get married in Finland to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Finland? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Finland)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi, are you living in here currently?
Formalities depends on your basic residency status as a foreigner!
I am originally from Mauritius but I have Irish Nationality..and I didn't require much paper work..
And I know some Mauritian foreigners have been living here for ages, holding Finnish Citizenship and later got married to Finns where marriage procedure was within hours :)
But I doubt, for the procedures of a Mauritian just coming here, straight from Mauritius to Finland and start the applications etc etc
At least you have to prove to the state, that you are not married already by a solid ''affit - d'avit'' from Mauritius and all your papers or certificates from Mauritius need to be translated in either Finnish or Swedish (Finland official Lang.)as English or French is not accepted over here..
So, overall, it depends on your current situation..

http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Current-issues/Marriage/

Thanks for your help citizen1!

Armand

I married in Finland in '02.

Very straight forward, we even have two certificates one in Finnish the Other English. Just ask, and for the registrar to at least have a knowledge of English.

Good luck to anyone marrying

Thanks for your contribution ducatis!;)

Harmonie.

Hi everyone, I am a Spaniard engaged to a Nigerian and we want to be married in Finland. My question is does my Nigerian fiance need the paper of non impediment if he has been divorced for only about a month? (issued in London, Uk)
I appreciate any help

Hello Shanda9 and welcome on board Expat.com

Thank you for your participation on this thread, however kindly note that the latter has been inactive since 2012.

Hope you get some responses anyway! :top:

Best of luck in your query,

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Best to ask this in the Expat helsinki facebook group.
Or maybe some local services such as Maaistraatti (local register) or Kela.fi

good luck

Hi there. You need all your foreign documents translated in english and legalized. This site provides information about international marriages contracted in Finland: asumaansuomeen.fi/kansainvalinen-avioliitto/avioliiton-solmiminen/ Avioliiton solmiminen

This site tells also about international dating in Finland.

Hi if I am a US citizen a marry a Finish person how long does the process take to get basic residency papers, and if we were married in the USA would the certificate be valid here?

If the authorities think you are getting married only to come here, they won't grant you a residence permit. Also, if you have no means to support yourself and will thus probably end up relying on social assistance, they will not grant you a residence permit. Even if you were legally married.