Getting married in Hungary

3 months seems like a lifetime when your young and want to get "hitched" but true love can wait.
My father had to leave his first wife and son in Japan after the big war.
He was ordered like many others to pack up and ship back home to the US.
The US gov.( he belonged to them at the time) didn't count marriages to US citizens and Japanese nationals as legal.
He was young, about 22 years old and without funds to bring them to the states after him.
I doubt they would of gotten a visa in any case, sad stuff.
My mom didn't know my father had a family in Japan until after she was married to him!
Since it was not considered,"Legal" in the US he didn't have to declare it before he married my mom.
Then my sister and a HU guy from Slovakia met in S. Ca.
They lived together for about a year or so, he wanted to return to Canada where he had entered to the west, guess to try to get his citizenship there etc.
My sister went with him to Vancouver.
Lived up there for about another 6 months and then they both wanted to return to the US.
At the boarder the guards wouldn't let him into the US and they wouldn't let my sister into Canada.... Tears etc. They never saw each other again. Guess it wasn't true love after all.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

3 months seems like a lifetime when your young and want to get "hitched" but true love can wait.
The US gov.( he belonged to them at the time) didn't count marriages to US citizens and Japanese nationals as legal.
He was young, about 22 years old and without funds to bring them to the states after him.
My mom didn't know my father had a family in Japan until after she was married to him!
Since it was not considered,"Legal" in the US he didn't have to declare it before he married my mom.
They lived together for about a year or so, he wanted to return to Canada where he had entered to the west, guess to try to get his citizenship there etc.
Lived up there for about another 6 months and then they both wanted to return to the US.
At the boarder the guards wouldn't let him into the US and they wouldn't let my sister into Canada.... Tears etc. They never saw each other again. Guess it wasn't true love after all.

That's terrible.

So you've got a 1/2 sibling you've never seen floating around in Japan somewhere? 

Why wouldn't the border guards let him into the USA?  How did he get there in the first place?  How come they wouldn't let your sister into Canada? 

Even though it was a long time ago, we're seeing repeats of this kind of thing recently.  Even some of the posters in these forums are having trouble being together.  Seems like all the common sense or compassion has gone out of the world recently.

meslo wrote:

Okay, just a quick google of UK visa refusals shows how they are looking to fail you. Then you must wait 3 months from submission of visa application to travel. Then they expect to see evidence that you intend to get married

I doubt the paperwork in Hungary will go much faster, or require much less proof of marriage intent.

Took months to get a marriage license for my wife and I, and we got married in Switzerland, which is actually a pretty efficient country paperwork wise.

I knew someone who had to file paperwork for over a year to get his fiancee into the USA just to get married.

Plenty of people I know got engaged and don't tie the knot for a long time. What is the hurry?

meslo wrote:

but you won't reserve halls etc. until you know your application has been successful.

IMHO, you are making it complicated. This will never go as easy as if you are marrying someone in your own country.

Quite frankly, my wife and I did just the civil ceremony. In and out in an hour. There were just me, my bride and the interpreter. Then do another ceremony for friends and family.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That's terrible.

So you've got a 1/2 sibling you've never seen floating around in Japan somewhere? 

Why wouldn't the border guards let him into the USA?  How did he get there in the first place?  How come they wouldn't let your sister into Canada? 

Even though it was a long time ago, we're seeing repeats of this kind of thing recently.  Even some of the posters in these forums are having trouble being together.  Seems like all the common sense or compassion has gone out of the world recently.

Yes, I have a half Japanese older brother i never met or even know how to contact.
Also another half bro but that's another story.... Mom said he looked just like me, poor thing!Ha ,ha.
Hench my parents divorce...Dad was a ,"player".
Talk about "white trash problems!!" No life is complicated for some people.
Think my sisters ex boyfriend either over stayed in the US and he wasn't allowed back in and she may of overstayed being in Canada, it was the 70's.

It's true international marriages are harder then marrying someone in your own country.
My son is a dual Hu/Us citizen and married his HU wife here in HU.
She still had to wait one year to go to the US after they married.
She was waiting for her work permit and other papers.
She had sort of messed up on a US visit couple years before.
She told my son she had a 6 month visa to the US when they were just dating but she was really only suppose to stay up to 90 days without the visa.
Not sure why she pulled that on us.
They wouldn't allow her back into the US after that so he came to Hu and lived here for one year then went to the US to make some money before she came over as his wife.
A real mess.
His current wife is from Japan, he flew over to meet her.
she then visited the US 2 times for up to 90 days.
On her 3rd visit to the US the TSA took her in the back room for several hours and gave her the 3rd degree, asking why she was coming to the US so often etc.
Finally they let her out of the room and then she told my son she was never visiting him again unless they were married.
They married that trip and he started the process of immigration for her.
Now it's been over 5 years of marriage and they are waiting for her to be called into immigration to that her US citizenship oath.
Tons of wasted time and money on foreign marriages.
He likes exoctoc women so that's the price he has to pay.
Not even 100% sure he would ever marry anyone if not for immigration rules.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, I have a half Japanese older brother i never met or even know how to contact.
Also another half bro but that's another story.... Mom said he looked just like me, poor thing!Ha ,ha.
Hench my parents divorce...Dad was a ,"player".
Talk about "white trash problems!!" No life is complicated for some people.
Think my sisters ex boyfriend either over stayed in the US and he wasn't allowed back in and she may of overstayed being in Canada, it was the 70's.

Maybe your son's wife can do some digging on it and track him down. Seems a shame not to have contact.  He's also a US citizen so there's that angle as well.  He might be due some redress money for not being allowed to join his father as a US citizen.  Might be worth looking into just for the hell of it.

Overstaying, what nonsense.  I think it's Thailand where you pay just a fee for an overstay up to several months.  It's some trivial amount, like $2-3 a day and they collect it on departure.  Quite interesting thinking!  Most people I think caught that way are tourists and backpackers.

Guess rule are rules, less then a 90 stay is only what a  tourist gets here from the US, Canada or any other 3rd country.
With Britex the same rules may apply for UK citizen without going through the motions of "enjoying" immigration services.
No fear though, anyone with a legit reason to be in Hungary shouldn't have too many issues after they do their time in line at immigration.
Pay for a few stamps, get some translations and basically be done in about 6 to 12 immigration visits depending on how they handle it for ya.
Bring a book or take a xanax , be ready to sit next to a person eating and munching on a meal or slurping on a drink, crowded and not comfy.
pay your dues is basically what they want.
Oh, almost forgot the unless phone calls with loud talking in your ear that goes on every 2 mins. ..
Dang, sometimes I really dislike people!
Wish I could find my half bro but to be honest I am not sure he would even care at this point, he must be about 73 or 74 by now...
No idea what name his mother had and perhaps she used her maiden name.
Dealing with the US Army would be a nightmare to get info from.
I'll see him on the dark side of the moon!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Wish I could find my half bro but to be honest I am not sure he would even care at this point, he must be about 73 or 74 by now...
No idea what name his mother had and perhaps she used her maiden name.
Dealing with the US Army would be a nightmare to get info from.
I'll see him on the dark side of the moon!

Well maybe but still, he might care, might be dead but might have children who of course are all US citizens as well.  Denied their rights by the War and official racism.

I remember seeing a documentary on the kids left behind by the US Army in Viet Nam. It wasn't pleasant at all for those kids - kids of the enemy, with blue eyes or otherwise but very identifiable.  Obligation really to care for those kids.

I am pretty sure you could easily find out more about it - Freedom of Information Act and all that.  Worth a go perhaps?  Interesting story and possibly not unique. I am sure one could get a documentary film out of it.

*update: I googled for GI Babies and it looks easy to get many reports.  Looks like this is the place to start: US Military Records.  If you try, please let us all know so we can follow the story.

Maybe when I am back in the states I could ask my cousin who is really into research ( they all are it seems) to help guide me in the right direction.
She actually asked me to try and look for him a few years back but dang, I am not that dedicated to research.
I once wrote the US gov for info on my grandfather who was in the Spanish American War at age 14. I first have to jump a few hoops and fill our papers to prove I am his relation. Some of those military records are sealed it seems unless your family.
I am not so sure any of his relations would be better off these days in the US anyways. Even my son is planning on moving to Japan,
If he actually does move there, I may look further into finding my long lost bro and seeing him in person in Japan. That would be very strange, cool and mind blowing.
I'm the only one of my siblings even interested in anything family but my older surviving sister and my younger brother have no children of their own, Think they don't fully understand what family is, hate to say it by they both are loners to the extreme, any research would all be on me.
Heard my half bro in Japan's grandfather was a Japanese officer in the war. I pray his life wasn't too hard having come from a upper class sort of family with funds to help support him from all the racist BS. In any case, if he was even partly like the rest of us, he would be a fighter so no reason to worry about him too much.
My father was pale as can be but had jet blue/black hair and very dark brown eyes, hope my half bro just slid under the BS radar with blending in society.
It was all up to me to get a reunion together in Vegas with all my siblings a couple years back.
I had to push everyone to get off their duffs and come to Vegas, don't think they care much about a bro they never knew, sad seems I'm the only one who does think about him.
My other half bro  is a different story, I knew the family. I used to play with his mom's  daughter when I was 6-7 yeas old. My parents were BFF's with his mom and her husband.
When my mom found out my dad and his mom were a bit too chummy, things hit the fan in a big way.
He was raised by her husband who wanted to keep it secret that he wasn't his child but my father's.
Weird family, I curse his mom all the time but my dad was at fault too.
My mom saw the baby once, wasn't upset with the child, said it wasn't his fault he was the child of two cheaters.Told me he looked just like me with sandy blonde hair and was very cute.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Maybe when I am back in the states I could ask my cousin who is really into research ( they all are it seems) to help guide me in the right direction.
She actually asked me to try and look for him a few years back but dang, I am not that dedicated to research.

I once wrote the US gov for info on my grandfather who was in the Spanish American War at age 14. I first have to jump a few hoops and fill our papers to prove I am his relation. Some of those military records are sealed it seems unless your family.....

I'm the only one of my siblings even interested in anything family but my older surviving sister and my younger brother have no children of their own, Think they don't fully understand what family is, hate to say it by they both are loners to the extreme, any research would all be on me....

When my mom found out my dad and his mom were a bit too chummy, things hit the fan in a big way.
He was raised by her husband who wanted to keep it secret that he wasn't his child but my father's.
Weird family, I curse his mom all the time but my dad was at fault too.
My mom saw the baby once, wasn't upset with the child, said it wasn't his fault he was the child of two cheaters.Told me he looked just like me with sandy blonde hair and was very cute.

My brother isn't very interested in our family history. I asked him several times over the years and he said he didn't care as there here and now was all that matters.  In one way he's right. 

But I dunno, I still  have a nagging interest to know about what happened.  People had lives and experiences they could share with the later generations. Bit like writing a letter those later.  We do that somewhat in our legacy of photographs and books we write (take note Marilyn, your stories should be written down!).  On the other hand, my ancient Dad has plenty of stories but trying to get him to tell you about it is almost impossible - I need to prompt him a lot but when he comes back with something, it's always interesting.  I mean, living through WW2 must have been utterly weird.

I've got about a gazillion photos in albums going way back, none of them labelled.  A descendant, looking back through them will see some random people and not know who they are.  I really should go through them,  scan and label them.

Your half-bro was lucky to be accepted.  It could have turned out a lot worse for him.  It's a bit strange, he's your half-bro but he'll have had a completely different life.  I have a nephew born to  my brother's  2nd wife. The nephew has half-related siblings.  His life is separated from the other much older siblings and the others live on the other side world. So they have not much else in common other than one parent and bloodlines. I suppose for him, it's always been like that and no biggie.

Nice day, 26 C in direct sunlight, lot colder in the shadows.  Weather says it'll be nice until the weekend.