Empty Nesters Moving to Toronto

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. My wife and I are thinking of moving from Chicago to Toronto. I am originally from Brooklyn, N.Y., but lived in Chicago for the past 38 years.

We are both 60 but we really have the physical health of someone in the early 50s or even 40s. (I haven't been to a physician in 30 years and we do not use pharmaceuticals of any kind). We love to do things like play tennis, table tennis, dancing, walking along the lake here in Chicago, going to a coffee house and reading, listening to music, etc. She loves gardening and cooking.

We are considering moving to Toronto, since she is a Canadian citizen (originally from Hong Kong) and has family in Toronto (My family is in N.Y.C). We are both progressive, independent thinkers and enjoy being among friendly, multicultural friends.

We would initially rent but are looking to buy either a condo or townhouse and have a budget of about $1800 to rent and possible $450,000 to buy.

Will Toronto be a good place for us. Are there any neighborhoods that you can recommend to us?

Thank you very much for any ideas and suggestions!

Hi richrf,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine

hi richrf,

i think toronto has a lot to offer and what you get depends on your mind set. you sound open minded and naturally outgoing so i think culturally you will find toronto exciting. we have a very diverse population and a ton of restaurants to sample as well.

as for neighbourhoods, you might enjoy riverdale, high park, the beaches, any neighbourhood along yonge street from st. clair north to eglinton, or maybe even cabbage town. they're all within the city and have a lot to offer by way of restaurants, shops, etc.

you can get a glimpse of our city and its issues from local news channels: www.cp24.com, www.cbc.ca or www.citytv.com

for rentals you can check: www.viewit.ca; www.kajiji.ca

surprisingly our weather can fluctuate a lot, for example today it was 30c with the humidex and tomorrow the high will be 16c...our summers can also be hot.

i'm partial as i was born and raised here. and as much as i love other cities, i do think toronto has a few things going for it. and for me, the multiculturalism is the best part.

cheers,

Hey,
Toronto is a great place to live. It is a good time to be a renter especially when you have a healthy budget such as yours. There are condos going up all over the city and most of them are being used as rentals.
I think this ad might really interest you so check it out!
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum please]