Pregnancy in Vitória

Hi,

could you please share advice and tips about pregnancy in Vitória?

Who are the best gynecologists for pregnancy follow-ups?

Which hospitals or clinics would you recommend to give birth in Vitória?

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice !

Christine

Hi Christine, I've only been here 3 months and have a 12 month old baby. I presume your pregnant?! I can't help with advice on where to go for check ups etc but I'm sure my husbands sisters would help. How do find life here? I'm struggling to adjust at the moment!x

Hello soozuk1984,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I would suggest you to start a new topic on the Vitoria forum for better visibility.

ps: We are actually part of the expat-blog team and this thread was launched in order to gather useful information from members which could help others.

Melissa

Hello all,

http://cdn.blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/newborn-300x225.jpg

Pregnancy in Brazil is not much different than in any other part of the world and in some cases better. Pre-natal healthcare has improved significantly over the eleven years that I've been living in this country.

Where the real problems lie is in the public healthcare system and public hospitals that are in chaos everywhere here in Brazil. Over the past years there have been numerous cases of babies being swithched, through negligent practices, in nurseries and neo-natal wards, medical errors causing infant mortalities or serious lasting disabilities. Untrained personnel (assistants) who are permitted to work unsupervised and performing functions that would be only in the perview of a registered nurse or medical doctor in most other countries.

Hospital security is another serious issue and every year several babies are snatched from maternity wards in public hospitals by someone disguised as a nurse or doctor.

If you're a foreigner and you're going to have a baby here in Brazil find a really good OBGYN even if you have to pay out of your own pocket. Check well in advance about private hospitals and maternity hospitals in your area and again pay for them out of pocket if need be.

Remember too that any child born to foreigners in Brazilian territory (with limited exceptions for diplomat's children) are automatically Brazilian citizens by virtue of birth regardless of any other citizenship they may also have by virtue of a foreign parent. The birth must be registered at the Cartório de Pessoas Naturais nearest where you live.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team