Driving license

hey hey ,cz i was personally interested in this and came across it today so jst wanted to share:
i found this place at the corner  of sihanouk (274) with Riverside (sisowath)called mittapheap driving school  which is pretty awesome .. for 120 $ they give  20 days of driving lessons , half hour per day  and the exam costs 50 $ and the driving licence is given by the ministry of transportation and is valid for 5 years. they teach in english !! ..
jst in case there are other people like me around here who are interested in getting a driving license N they don't know how to drive

thought its helpful :)

you are a wealth of information.  thank you
david

Hi Aaliyah01...thanks for the info..so have you got your drivers licence?..I will soon be joining my husband there in Cambodia nxt month...and I am very interested to learn how to drive....

nah. not yet:)) not in cambodia at the moment

bt when r u coming in?

Hi Aaliyah,
thanks for the info it's really helpful as usual. Just wanted to know how the driving lessons went with mittapheap since i'm thinking of taking them too...
KD

oh, i havent yet , been out of cambodia fr a while, jst got back

Aaliyah01
Just read your post on driving lessons and what all goes with that.  Do you have to go though the whole process if you are a driver in another country?  I mean the 20 days,etc or is there just a test you take to get one?

thanks
David

u can go straight to the test.. the 20 days is for the lessons .. :)

Hello all,

In Vietnam, I showed them my California driver license, and they gave me a Vietnamese driver and rider (motorbike) license, without any test.  I wonder if Cambodia would do the same?  What about a Vietnamese license, is it being accepted, or even considered, over there?

Thanks,
Howie

My local staff brought me there to convert my foreign driving to local B class the previous year. Its valid for 1 year and pay (I can't remember how much) to extend another year.

I think it is more worthwhile to take the course and get a 5 years valid driving license rather than to pay and pay every year to renew. I don't think it is difficult as I went to the test center this year which is somewhere further up toul kork. There are 2 components to it - theory test and practical exam.

You can convert any license to Cambodia one which valid only 1 year (or will be expired same time as your long stay visa period), cost 40$ and it takes you 3 - 5 weeks (depend on their mood), during that time they will give you a receipt to use as temporary license (in case the police stop you).. hope this will help!!

You also need three (3) passport size pictures when you apply.

Hello, greetings from Australia. After reading through the posts, it seems you know the most about driving licences in Phnom Penh!! :) Can you help me please? I'm trying to find out how long-in days- it takes to get a drivers lic there, including the practical test? Is it possible to get it done in a week? I dont require lessons, just the theory test and practical. I ask because here the practical tests are booked months in advance, so I need to know what i'm in for before I get there so I can plan my schedule. Thanks.

Hi there,

I think it is easy to get the exam. Just go to any driving school like mittapheap driving school here, pay the fee and apply to the earliest exam, normally there are 2 tests at least per month. And it takes 1 month to wait for license arrive. No worry!! getting driving license here is superb easy thing, but travel around is another story. The more money you spend, the faster things will be done here. :P

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm curious-you say the lic is easy-but not travelling around. I've read numerous stories of people doing motorbike tours, and they dont seem to have had many issues. Are there things regarding moving around the country which I am unaware of?? I thought that providing all my paperwork is correct and legal, and that one keeps common sense, travelling around was fairly straightforward. Am I missing something? ANY advice greatly appreciated. :)
Back to the lic, are the exams done through the driving schools or the ministry of transport? If they are at scheduled times, do you think it's possible for me to book it in advance?? Any idea who I would contact for this?

Hi, morning, could you tell me how much only for the test?

No need to book in advance..there is no such service here. What you only can do is go straigh to d driving school to register and pay fee. They will instruct you... Remember to bring your passport and photo

They charge me last time 150usd..local only pay 50usd or less than that :(