Parent of children with German/American citizenship

I am a US citizen whose minor children have German/American citizenship. I am currently separated and seeking a divorce from their father who is a German national.  If the children and I moved to Germany would I have the right to work there and obtain health and or family benefits?
Thank you for any information.

Oh boy I ve no clue but I ll try to find some information for u and ll get back to u as soon as I ve any infos.

Your kids, as German citizens, of course have the right to stay there.
You can probably follow them as caregiver (enquire at the German embassy!) and I guess you would then also get a work permit (not very sure - ask the authorities!).
But if you lose custody during the divorce, the above will not apply.

Edit to add: You will only get any visa if you prove to have the means not to depend on government handouts. Thus your question about family benefits is probably moot.
Everybody living in Germany has compulsory health insurance, but you'll have to pay for it yourself (not cheap!).

I'm not sure about the benefits... I don't think it's likely that you are eligable, as beppi said. If you find a job, you could apply for an employment visa, I think. More info on visas: germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Visa.html

I once read that you can become a German citizen if you have German children, at least more easily than otherwise. Maybe that would be an option, too.

Hi,

I am also in the situation which I want a divorce from my German husband too.

We have three lovely and addorable children which gave me the strength to do my best in order to make a better situation (so that our daughters have a family with both father and mother) but I am tired now of trying...

I am working and only staying at home to take care of your daughters. So my questions are:

1.  Due to the fact that my husband is the one who earns money and I am not working, when we get a divorce, can our daughters stay with me or another way to say can I take our daughters with me?

2. What are the obligations which involved both sides my husband and me or my husband and I have to do?

Does any one know about German divorce-law? Please give me a hint or infos or link, etc..

Thanks in advance!
Wonder

To be able to divorce in Germany, you have to either both agree, or live apart for some time (I think two or three years). A divorce is also not cheap and requires a lawyer.
The court (Familiengericht) decides what will happen with the kids solely based on their benefit, not parents' wishes. Having no permanent home and no income will count in your disfavour.
Also, the parents usually keep joint custody (Sorgerecht) - except in cases of abuse, insanity, etc. - and need to decide important matters regarding the children together. This includes residence, so you cannot take them with you if he disagrees or the court decides otherwise.
The kids must also still be able to see both parents (Umgangsrecht). If no agreement is found, the court decides the arrangement (time sharing) and the parents must abide by it.

Hi beppi,

THanks for your quick feedback. Can you please tell me if there is any other option beside 2 or 3 years of seperation? I dont think right now seperation is good for us. As you know, because of the family, I have sacrified my studies, carreer by just staying at home to take care of our daughters and therefore I have no income in order to cover all those expenses when I do not live with my husband (which I have to say my wish at the moment...).

I think a divorce by mutual consent is possible, but you better consult a lawyer - you need one anyway for the divorce.

as far as I know even if both partner want a divorce they still need to be separated for at least a year before the divorce can be finalized. if you move out with your kids and you have no work I believe your husband needs to pay child support as well as "Trennungsunterhalt" as support for you. But as others stated above, better to consult a lawyer.

Thanks for your messages!