Registering my car in Malta

Hi all,

According to this website http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … hicle.aspx

To register my car in Malta i have to spend 2.500€ can this be possible?

To the experts on this matter, if you can explain me i would be grateful :)

I have a Bmw 118d from 03/2010 diesel. ItŽs not mine for 2 years, i bought it in 11/2011.

So according to that website i came to a value of 2.500€ is it true or am i doing something wrong?

And i have to register it within 20 days after move to Malta right?

Thanks in advance,

Aires.

Unfortunately, that sounds about right...

seems about the right price for the car.... now if you mileage was very high then you would be paying quite a bit less...

For example if it was say 125000 miles on it ... lots of motorway driving for instance... then you would probrably be paying about €2000

Julian

you only have to register it within the 20 days if you have an ID card and you are not classed then as a resident.

J.

Hi all,

thanks for the replys! :)

Julian if i understand it correctly i just have to register my car after getting the ID card correct?

My car have now only 70.000kmts so i will be paying arround 2.500€ just to register the car there.. :(

This is too much!

thank you all,

Aires.

Yes Aires, You will have 6 months i believe to use the car as a tourist in Malta but then it will have to leave... This is on a temporary Vehicle Permit... which i beleive you still have to go to the Transport Malta office to get

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

Yes Aires, You will have 6 months i believe to use the car as a tourist in Malta but then it will have to leave...

Also bear in mind you are no longer a tourist if you

1. stay more than 3 months at a time
2. work in Malta
3. apply for residency certificate or ID card

George...

I believe that under EU legislation, any member country resident may legally stay in any other EU country for up to 6 months without any need for local registration and the same applies to their vehicle, provided it is in a state that would be regarded as fully legal in its native country and that the insurance is fully compliant to the visited country (ie, not 30 day green card)

However, I am also aware that Malta appears to pick and choose which EU matters it accepts and which it ignores! Car import duties being a prime one!

Mike

http://www.foreign.gov.mt/Library/Citiz … A7-EUR.pdf

Registration certificates, Residence
cards

A registration certificate is a document
issued to an EU national that confirms that
person's right of residence under European
law and in terms of the above-mentioned
2007 Order.

Residence cards are issued to family
members of an EU national who are third
country nationals. The card confirms such
persons' right of residence in Malta.

It is mandatory for EU nationals and their
family members to be in possession of the
said documents if their residence in Malta is
for a period exceeding three months.
They
are required to fill in application Form
CEA/21 and to present it personally to the
Department for Citizenship and Expatriate
Affairs together with the required
documents.

Hey,

i'll give you a good tip. If you're goin to work here, fill out the application for a exemption from the vehicle registration (form VEH 22 - you can download from Transport Malta website).
You'll pay 35 euro for the application, but at least you will not pay anything for 12 months and you'll be 100% legal to drive in Malta, without the need to change your plates.

radekz wrote:

Hey,

i'll give you a good tip. If you're goin to work here, fill out the application for a exemption from the vehicle registration (form VEH 22 - you can download from Transport Malta website).
You'll pay 35 euro for the application, but at least you will not pay anything for 12 months and you'll be 100% legal to drive in Malta, without the need to change your plates.

Really?? great news radekz !

after the 12 months you still need to ergister it right?

but at least i have 12 months to see what iŽll do with the car.. :)

thanks a lot!

Aires.

Only if you can do without residency and ID card in Malta because you keep your normal residence outside of Malta. You probably can't apply for exemption after owning your car for two years and moving your residence to Malta. And you need to be on a work contract in Malta.

The tip really only makes sense if you plan on leaving the island within 12 months with your car.

You should check out the details to avoid problems.

Cheers
Ricky

welcome!

yup, after 12 months you need to either register or get a new car and get another permit :)

You'll need to go to Floriana to their office (Malta Transport) to leave your application and you only pay the application fee (35EUR) once the permit has been granted.

ricky wrote:

Only if you can do without residency and ID card in Malta because you keep your normal residence outside of Malta. You probably can't apply for exemption after owning your car for two years and moving your residence to Malta. And you need to be on a work contract in Malta.

The tip really only makes sense if you plan on leaving the island within 12 months with your car.

You should check out the details to avoid problems.

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky, I think you're mixing up two various exemption cases. Simply when applying for this temporary permit there is no need for you to give them your Maltese ID card details (if you have one). Just give them the copy of your passport etc.

Hi radekz,

I'm not sure which exemption you are talking about but the only one I know of which applies for 12 months is this:

Motor vehicles brought over by a person under an employment contract

A foreign registered M1 vehicle (a passenger motor vehicle which can carry no more than eight passengers) or a cycle (two or three-wheeled motor cycle) brought into Malta by a person, whose normal residence is outside Malta,  who comes to Malta under a work contract, may be used in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months without being charged any registration tax and without the need to register that vehicle in Malta.
Such exemption shall be granted on application made to the Malta Transport Authority (Licensing and Testing Directorate, Malta Transport Authority, Hornworks Ditch, Floriana) on the prescribed form which shall be presented either within six months from the date of the applicant's arrival in Malta or, if the vehicle has already been brought into Malta within those six months,  within twenty days from the vehicle's arrival in Malta together with:
•    a copy of the contract of employment,
•    evidence of the vehicle's arrival in Malta,
•    a copy of the vehicle's registration certificate, and
•    an administrative fee of €35.
The vehicle has to be registered in the name of the person making the application.
Where such exemption is granted, the motor vehicle will provisionally be licensed for use on the road for a period which expires upon the expiration of the exemption. A circulation licence fee shall be payable to the Authority in respect of twelve months where the vehicle is not covered by a valid road licence issued in the country of registration and, where it is covered by such licence in respect of the remaining months or part thereof immediately following the expiry of that licence.
The documents relating to the registration, insurance and roadworthiness of the vehicle and to the exemption granted shall be kept with the vehicle when it is in use and shall be produced at the request of an authorised inspecting officer.

Which 12 month exemption are you talking about ?

Cheers
Ricky