Why is it locals?

The purpose of this post is not to judge anybody but to ask a simple question. Why is it when an expat asks a question on this site that is related to Vietnamese culture, traditions or looking for an item to purchase that could be easily answered by a native, there are very few or any responses. We expats just muddle around till we find the best solution.  On the other hand, if one of the locals asks a question about some things outside of Vietnam, the response is normally over whelming with ideas or suggestions.

Budman1,

Unlike all of us, few of the locals have ever had the pleasures of joining a culture that is different from that of their own.  As a result, not too many of them understand the difficulties that we face.  Many think that our comments or concerns are elementary and take them rather lightly.

Howie

Budman1 wrote:

Why is it when an expat asks a question on this site that is related to Vietnamese culture, traditions or looking for an item to purchase that could be easily answered by a native, there are very few or any responses.

Sorry, but can you give me an example?

Wild_1 wrote:

Budman1,

Unlike all of us, few of the locals have ever had the pleasures of joining a culture that is different from that of their own.  As a result, not too many of them understand the difficulties that we face.  Many think that our comments or concerns are elementary and take them rather lightly.

Howie

Another case, sometime we don't know how to answer, we haven't been to same situation, no experience.

One example comes to mind really quick See the post about charcoal, and where to buy it. It was viewed almost 450 times. Only 6 posts, all by expats.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111628

Budman1 wrote:

One example comes to mind really quick See the post about charcoal, and where to buy it. It was viewed almost 450 times. Only 6 posts, all by expats.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=111628

Ah, I see. I even didn't read it before, coz it's in HCMc and I am in Hanoi. In this forum, mostly expats locate in HCMc, and mostly questions are for HCMc. I am jealous of HCMc dwellers

MeoMun wrote:

sometime we don't know how to answer

That brings up another legitimate point:  Many of the more socially responsible Vietnamese are still not comfortable with their English skills.  For one reason or another, these folks are so afraid to make mistakes.  Not like any of them can walk on water, but they are just very afraid.

On the other hand, the lesser matured or socially responsible ones tend to be more involved.  Yet, these guys go all over the place with their language and ideas, as seen so often on this forum.

Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

That brings up another legitimate point:  Many of the more socially responsible Vietnamese are still not comfortable with their English skills.  For one reason or another, these folks are so afraid to make mistakes.  Not like any of them can walk on water, but they are just very afraid.

On the other hand, the lesser matured or socially responsible ones tend to be more involved.  Yet, these guys go all over the place with their language and ideas, as seen so often on this forum.

Howie

Basically, I can summarize your opinions to 2 points:
- Vietnamese are not confident about the English skills.
(I don't know others, but not me)
- Lesser matured and living experiences are often join this forum, means 'juniors' are more than 'seniors'
It's right because 'seniors' themselves don't know/care/pay attention and/or don't have enough enthusiasm to join/answer questions on this forum. They are busy with their real life.

MeoMun, MeoMun,

When I write "socially responsible", I refer to those that share their ideas and experiences, good and bad, with others for no personal gain of their own.  Nothing more than just putting them out there so that others can emulate or avoid.  It is true that most of these people fall into that "senior" group, but not entirely.  That is evidenced by people like yourself.

Now.  When you say that these "senior" people are "busy with their real" lives, do you mean that the lives that we lead are fake somehow?  We drink and eat artificial stuffs?  Or, the money that we spend is cut from old newspapers?

Howie

Hi Howie,
Admittedly, I misunderstood you.
I meant that many people are consider internet is not real life. Truthfully, we can fake everything (MeoMun is not my real name). In addition, there isn't any concept of "socially responsible" in some people. Their lives are list of losses and interests.

MeoMun,

In that case, what is your real name, then??? 

But, sharing one's "losses and interests" is being socially responsible, is it not?  Afterall, it help make others aware of the pitfalls or things of interest, right???

Howie

Budman1,

I'm not sure about others but for me, if I decided not to answer some questions concerning culture or tradition, it's because I don't really know the answer. Most of the Vietnamese parents/teachers teach their kids not to question their action but simply follow it. So sometimes, alot of us don't know why we're doing what we're doing. Also, even if I know something, I would hesitate to answer because tradition and culture vary among provinces. So there'll be others who have different opinions. And I hate to engage in any kind of argument/debate. We Vietnamese (at least my generation) weren't taught to argue/debate while we were in school.
Of course, I'm just talking about my case. Hope that shed some light.

Vu

Good point though nevertheless Budman1.