Hospital Vs Western Compound!! Help

I've just found out the housing for the position I'm considering is on a hospital compound. I'm not sure how much different this will be for a US single female expat as compared to the freedoms on the regular western compounds. I heard someone use the word curfew. Any details anyone could provide for the King Faisal hospital compound in Jeddah or any compound would be great!

Helovesmenot wrote:

I've just found out the housing for the position I'm considering is on a hospital compound. I'm not sure how much different this will be for a US single female expat as compared to the freedoms on the regular western compounds. I heard someone use the word curfew. Any details anyone could provide for the King Faisal hospital compound in Jeddah or any compound would be great!

Welcome Onbaord. The life on western compound is a little liberal than other compounds as there are not much restrictions on dressing and meeting peopple etc. Usually there are the time limits or restrictions for the movements of the single females from the other compunds, hence the word 'curfew' crops up. And this timing will vary from compound to compound. On weekends its a bit relaxed.

Sorry i dont have any info about the King Faisal hospital compound @ Jeddah, but I'm sure there are lots of amazing senior EB people, who can help you on this.

Cheers !!

Thanks for your insight. And yes I hope the seniors can provide me with more detailed information.

I confess I don't know anything about that hospital compound, but just knowing it's not a western compound means less freedom, more scrutiny, curfews, for sure no interaction with opposite gender.  Being a western expat female, I think you should attempt to secure western-friendly accommodation in an outside compound.  It's hard enough adjusting to a different culture, without the additional stress of being monitored by their standards even off-duty in your own compound. Personally I would look for another gig (job), where you could live in a western compound. There are so many of them in KSA. You can be choosy.

Dave-KSA wrote:

I confess I don't know anything about that hospital compound, but just knowing it's not a western compound means less freedom, more scrutiny, curfews, for sure no interaction with opposite gender.  Being a western expat female, I think you should attempt to secure western-friendly accommodation in an outside compound.  It's hard enough adjusting to a different culture, without the additional stress of being monitored by their standards even off-duty in your own compound. Personally I would look for another gig (job), where you could live in a western compound. There are so many of them in KSA. You can be choosy.

Thats what is called scaring the shit out. But I agree thats the bitter truth !! :top:

saimans wrote:
Dave-KSA wrote:

Thats what is called scaring the shit out. But I agree thats the bitter truth !! :top:

The hosptial compound will be strict--all female buildings, no mingling, curfew.  I may be wrong but I think King Faisal has 4 to an apt. (separate bedrooms)... again, I may be confusing my hospitals (Faisal, Fahad, the Military, etc., etc., all begin to run together in my mind lol). 

Dave, if she's coming as a nurse to a government hospital, it is what it is--no negotiating.  As for affording to be choosy, don't think you have them over the proverbial barrel because these places shoot themselves in the foot constantly and never seem to learn.

Well alritey then

Hi! My friend is working in King Faisal Hospital & Research Centre and lives in the hospital compound "Amoudia Village". I went to Jeddah to visit her. The accomodation is nice and divived into Phases (e.g. Phase 1, 2...).

Each phase has a swimming pool, gym and a 3-floor building as far as I remember and each floor consists of several units (one staff/unit). The Unit is a studio type, with kitchen and bathroom with tab. I remember there is one phase with sauna, swimming pool, jacuzzi, parlor, gym and a small store.

Male housing is separated to the female inside the village. You can accept visitors except males. In terms of going out, there are bus timings but I think its everyday and if you missed the bus then you can hire a cab.

Hope this information helps you a bit.

Thanks sounds nice. Did you enjoy your visit with her and the time you spent there?

yes, though spent only for a weekend.

Sounds okay! Is the gym available for females as well?

Yes, the gym are for females. Each phase has a gym and almost complete of exercising equipments.