***Starting (new) life & work in Rio in February 2013***

Hi everybody

I am a 38 years old guy going to move to Rio with my future Brazilian wife per February 2013.

I am looking for executive positions in the following domains:
- hotels and restaurants
- quality management (ISO 9001 & ISO 14001)
- human resources

My background is:
- hotel management school
- human resources management school
- diplomas as an internal/external ISO 9001/14001 auditor

My experience is:
- 15 years experience in various positions in the hospitality business (regional sales manager, hotel manager, restaurant manager)
- 4 years experience in quality management (implementation and auditing quality systems as well as training employees and managers)
- 3 years experience in human resources consulting (qualification, evaluation an placement of people in the hospitality, care and cleaning business)

I speak and write French (native language), German, English, Portuguese and have a basic knowledge of Spanish.

I am hoping that you might have some good advices in how to turn my wish to find a suitable position into success! I already have my "Currículum Vitae" and "Carta de motivação" ready to be sent!

Thank you in advance for your time spent reading my post as well as your precious help.

Kind regards & have a good time,

DavIpanema

Hi Davipanema,

Have you posted your qualifications and personal information in our classified section devoted to jobs? If not, I would highly recommend that you do so since that will remain current where this posting will move back page after page as new topics get posted.

If you have not already done so, take the time to read my postings at the top of the first Brazil Forum page, they will give you almost all of the information you will need to know to prepare you for life in Brazil. Good luck and wishes for a smooth transition.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Dear William

Thank you very much for your reply.

I had almost forgotten that I once posted something in the Brazil forum! The lack of answers might be having posted my topic in the wrong section? Thank you for your advice, I will give a try on the jobs section.

In the meanwhile, I can say that searching and finding a job in Rio is not a piece of cake!

On one side, we ear the Brazilian economy is booming, the football world cup is coming as well as the olympic games. It seems that the distance as well as the high costs linked to contract an expat are high handicaps to get some good responses.

On the other side... even with good qualifications and work experience at a mangement level , speaking and writing portuguese on a very good level, having a good network in Rio as well as an nice apartment in Ipanema waiting for me... Until today NOTHING concrete!

Well... I will be in Rio by the end of December for one month. So I will try to "sell" myself on spot! I might have more success.

Abraços,

David

Hi David,

I hear pretty much the same complaint all the time from the expat-community. The problem with finding a job here in Brazil is the fact that by law companies here are forced to prove to the government that they have exhausted all avenues to fill a position with a Brazilian and have been unable to do so. Only then can they hire a foreigner for the position. Even a foreigner with all the right documentation, permanent visa and work permit doesn't stand much of a chance against those kind of odds.

No sir, finding a job anywhere here in Brazil really is not a piece of cake. We expats usually end up with just the crumbs.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog