Schools in Dakar

Hi Guys,

I currently live in Cambodia but am planning to relocate to Dakar within the next year. I'm a primary school teacher, my first language is English and i speak an intermediate level of french. Are there many English speaking schools around? So far i've only been able to find 'The International School of Dakar' and 'The British Council'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam :)

Hello Sam,

There are good schools in dakar, but peoples still prefer to speak french and wolof. but the new generation is bit keen to learn english. email me on [email protected] then i will try to give you some local senegalese contacts who might be able to help you more than me.

regards
raj

Samantha1 wrote:

Hi Guys,

I currently live in Cambodia but am planning to relocate to Dakar within the next year. I'm a primary school teacher, my first language is English and i speak an intermediate level of french. Are there many English speaking schools around? So far i've only been able to find 'The International School of Dakar' and 'The British Council'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam :)

Hello Sam!

Did you want to volunteer or work?  (Possibly displacing a Senegalese teacher). 

The reason I ask is because yes, ISD, Dakar Academy and The British Council are places where you would not be making local person lose their jobs if you worked there.  But if you were volunteering, there are many schools that need English clubs (again, being careful not to take a job there and displace teachers working for a salary).  Many schools here are privately run and if they can get expat teachers to work free or cheap, they fire the local ones to save money.

Ruthless I know but business is business, even the business of education!

I do know there has been a regime change at ISD and many teachers quit or moved on last year.  Now would be a good time to apply...

Sincerely,

Sineta George
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum.]
[email protected]

Hi  SENEGALSTYLE B & B,

Please note that this thread is a year old.

Thank you,

David.