Is anyone else homesick?

Hey everyone,

I'm an American (California, San Francisco bay area) living in Saigon until the end of this year.
I've been here for one month now and have met great people and really fun friends. There are definitely aspects of living out here that I do enjoy. I'm out here with my hubby who is on a Fulbright scholarship and our four year old daughter who is going to an international school.
But I'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to such a drastic change in lifestyle and I'm really homesick.
I come from a very social lifestyle that is constantly full of activities back home. Seems like all the expats I meet are doing great and have been adjusting without to much trouble other then figuring out basic living concerns. No one seems to be upset.
I'm not currently working or have any set schedule so it leaves me with lots of free time on my hands. Is anyone in a similar situation? Or have any suggestions? Message me if you do, or if you want to chat and grab coffee.
Cheers.

Hello Donna, I'm a fellow Californian too. Been here for 5 months with my husband as well. It might seem like nobody is having a hard time adjusting to such a different lifestyle, BUT trust me, we've all have rough days, and also better days. Take it one day at a time, you've been here just barely enough to get out of the initial cultural shock.

I'm also not working and have awful amounts of free time, because my husband works incredibly long hours and the commute is a joke (which kind of doesn't help a lot). I don't know where you are living, but there are several places in HCMC that carry "comfort food" (hot dogs, cereals, baking products, mexican products, etc). I've been using some of my free time exploring recipes, baking, planning. I have also spent time playing (or mostly learning to play) video games that we were able to bring on our shipment, reading, walking at the Vincom Center (they have Carl's Jr!!!),taking salsa lessons and swimming. Around where I live there's a Sports Club you can join for about $25 a month and they have swimming pools, tennis courts, dance lessons, pool tables, playground for kids, reading areas with books, Pilates, Yoga and Kung Fu lessons... and maybe more things that I don't even know about.

There's a group of ladies, (it might be called International Ladies of Vietnam) that get together and have lots of activities and outings. Now, I've never been to any of the meetings, but I thought it was more suited for older ladies (I'm 28), so I don't know if I will feel at ease participating in the group.

We brought a Vonage phone system with us so we are in constant contact with our families (an that helps A LOT!)

I don't know what else to tell you besides be patient with yourself, allow yourself to feel angry, or sad, or frustrated if that's what you're feeling like...it takes A LOT to settle down around here and start "functioning". Just make sure, that once that feeling has passed, you bounce back and KEEP GOING. Remember that you have a time frame, you'll not be here forever. Enjoy the time here, celebrate all the little things, embrace the experience.

If I can be of any help, contact me anytime...

I can relate to what you're feeling right now. I'm not an expat but I've been away for so long that I feel like one. I'm still in the process of looking for a job here and I have too much free time.

What I'm doing right now to kill time is to upgrade my own knowledge (I'm taking online course), go to dance class, take French and of course if you're in Saigon, you can never get tired of trying out new coffee shops.

I would advise you to pick up a hobby (cooking, sport, ...) Look for a group to share that hobby with you. It doesn't have to be an "only expat" club. Joining a local club might be a chance for you to get to know the language and culture.

It would help if you know how to ride motorbike/scooter. Knowing how to do that can enable you to go to almost anywhere in the city.

I hope my advices helped. You can contact me if you want to grab some coffee, I'm pretty free all the time at the moment.

Once and awhile I get homesick. Miss my friends, miss my family, miss the food, miss driving with laws, miss driving a car, stuff like that.

But I try to keep busy with projects, friends, and family here. Got myself a nice girlfriend who speaks both English and Vietnamese and some Mandarin. Bought a motorbike. Traveled to my family's home town in Hue. Went to Nha Trang Beach. And so on.

I am now considering taking up some more courses like in Vietnamese, then Mandarin, and some IT certificates. I even considered going into teaching English, but have not committed to that yet; I'm looking to see if I even like to teach by tutoring first.
Bem, I'm looking into online courses too! Didn't know they offer any here unless you are taking online courses from the US.

I've heard some use MagicJack but not Vonage here. I just use Skype to call back in the US and all over the globe.

It's funny Melba mention ILV. I'm not in it but my aunt has gone to two or three meetings. Really nice group.

Find what you love to do and keep busy is what I recommend.

The course is in Canada :D, I doubt they have any here.

Melba525 wrote:

(they have Carl's Jr!!!)

You mean as in this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_95axFonbwHw/TIiDiX_KXCI/AAAAAAAAIHA/IxC5mEN3iBw/s1600/carlsjr.jpg ???

If this is the one, coupled with that Burger King at the airport, I won't get homesick for a long long time now.

Wild_1 wrote:
Melba525 wrote:

(they have Carl's Jr!!!)

You mean as in this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_95axFonbwHw/T … arlsjr.jpg ???

If this is the one, coupled with that Burger King at the airport, I won't get homesick for a long long time now.

That is the one. I've eaten at Carl's Jr. about once or twice since I been here. Very close to what you get in California.

I've seen one in the food court in Vinacom Center, the Rodeo Dr. of Saigon if you ask me. Also I've seen a Carl's Jr. at Phu My Hung in Dist. 7.

Yes, THAT Carls JR lol, they have a limited menu, so don't expect to get a guacamole turkey burger or a teriyaki burger.

If I remember correctly they have Chicken Strips, Big Burger, Famous Star, Chilli Cheese burger, onion rings, french fries, some shakes and two or three options for chicken sandwiches.

In the end, it's better than nothing, so I'll keep going and get my weekly burger fix, and for dessert....the cream puffs across the Carls Jr are to die for (papa Beards...or something like that). Enjoy your burgers ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely looking into classes (cooking, art, etc). So far I've been keeping busy going to the gym, swimming, going to cafes, restaurants and bars and meeting new people. I am still feeling displaced and lonely even with all that, sad huh, lol. Hopefully it gets better. If anyone want to grab a burger with me at Carl's Jr, lemme know :)

Donna: Burger sounds good. I actually never had Carl's Jr. before. I guess they didn't invade Canada yet.

Phi Long: I just notice you're taking some IT courses. Do they offer IT courses in English here? What kind of certificate is that?

Onion Riiings...  :P

Hi Anna,

This is Robin from IBI. We are now developing an online program and looking for a female voice for the recording. Please contact me at: *** if you are interested in.

Thanks

Robin

@Robin- please post your ad in the Jobs in Ho Chi Minh City section. Thank you.