Recommend reliable car mechanic and let me know costs of owning a car.

Hi, I'm considering buying a secondhand Toyota or Honda from JM Motors, Hamrun and think that getting an independent car mechanic to check it over would be a good idea. I would also be grateful if  anyone can give me a rough idea of costs for insurance, road tax and any other hidden costs that come with running a car in Malta so I can budget effectively. Views much appreciated. Cheers!:-)

There is a guy I would recommend , he is quite good in mellieha.
British expat, first garage on the corner coming in. Tony is his name. The workshop is at the back of the garage.

Also if you dont want to take it to a mechanic, ask the owner if you can take it to a VRT test station. Go to one which is not in the same neighbourhood as the owner. Preferably do it without the owner being with you

. Because if they communicate with each other in Maltese you wont know what is being discussed.
The VRT costs about 30 euros and should give you all errors on the car.

Insurance call a company.

for Hidden costs

#### Traffic Fines , be prepared to feel the wrath of the wardens :)

The VRT is 20.27 euros for two years....

VRT stations are not particularly reliable and with respect dont really cover the full extent of the british MOT..they shoud but in general they dont. mainly exhaust emissions test, brakes test, suspension test, under body inspection lights and horn and that pretty much sums up the Malti VRT.

karl automechanic is very good and so is godwin. another guy called Paul lives near the banda clubs in mellieha - an excellent auto electrician....both honest upfront inexpensive and reliable. I use them all the time.

The first garage as said previously is also very good only 3.50 euros for a puncture repair!!!! and only 6 euros for a full car wash.

I have bought three cars from JM MOtors but this one is in Qormi and Jason is a good guy and supplies good cars.

tax and insurance is based obviously on the car engine size, emissions and age so its diffcilut to assess this - fuel is about 1.45 euro a litre.

Hidden costs are generally the speeding and parking fines..but both of these are in your own hands.....just be very wary of your parking areas and keep within a bay, wardens have quotas to meet.