Costs of every day things .

rio2014 :

We are a retired couple living in San Francisco Bay Area planning a vacation trip with the intention of purchasing a condo/villa in Dominican Republic in the near future !!  How is the wind factor in Cabarete/Sosua ?  I've heard is too windy !!  we are not into skydiving sports but have heard the North Coast is the best !!  What is the difference between Punta Cana compared to Sosua/Cabarete  ?  Condo/villas prices plus cost of living ??  Traveling expenses such as airfare from California ??  Any input will greatly appreciated !!

Ok now I have some time to answer you.  First of all skydiving is not what they do..... you made me laugh out loud.  They do windsurfing, hang gliding etc   The wind is awesome for those sports but doesn't infringe on daily life so no worries.

North coast -  is more real life DR.  There are a lot of expats and tourists so the prices are more expensive then regular Dominican towns that do not rely on tourism.

Punta Cana -  almost no real life of the DR. IT is all tourism and expats and it is very expensive.  Ok before you all jump on me, yes there are some pockets of less expensive.  I am being general here Punta Cana is likely the most expensive area to live outside of Casa de Campo.   

Travelling expenses - darlin  google is your friend - look it up!

Thank you Planner !!  Then windsurfing, hang gliding it is !!  We'll make the trip and rent a condo for a few months !! I think you lived there and La Romana as well !!  Thank you !!

You are very welcome. While I never lived in Cabarete I did work there for over a year. I traveled daily from Puerto Plata and that is brutal.....

Renting is a good idea.  We lived in a condo in Cabarete for a year and loved it.

Bob K

Hi from Canada
My wife and I are staying at a condo 20 minute beach walk to Cabarete.
We are wondering about grocery costs and prices for red wine.
There is a large grocery store 1 km from us. Do you know the name
Thank you

Janet's is the name.

Here is some basics:

Imported =  more expensive
Local = usually  less expensive

Wine - all imported.  Yup its gonna cost you.  Drink RUM, the national drink. Its cheap in comparison.

Local beer - not expensive ( I am told, I hate the stuff)
Imported beer - really expensive.

The store you are talking about is Janet's on the east side of town.  It is the biggest in the area and will have everything you could need.

Yes local products are cheaper and imported more expensive.  Using local products we spend about 60% or what we would in the US

Wine is about the same as  you will find back home.  Rum much cheaper here.

Thank you
Just happen to love a good rum and Coke

Thanks Bob

you are welcome

Bob  K

Are there any products or items we should be sure to bring with us from Canada?

You can get just about anything here.  So I would say no

Bob K

Questions and answers about the Dominican Republic

Ask your question
Road from Ciabo Airport to Las Terrenas
By Travelove
Hairdressing jobs in Puerto Plata?
By Cookieboy1
Girlfriend experience in dominican republic
By Slavic12
Are you happy in Dominican Republic?
By Priscilla

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic