Costs of every day things .

We are a retired couple living in San Francisco Bay Area planning a vacation trip with the intention of purchasing a condo/villa in Dominican Republic in the near future !!  How is the wind factor in Cabarete/Sosua ?  I've heard is too windy !!  we are not into skydiving sports but have heard the North Coast is the best !!  What is the difference between Punta Cana compared to Sosua/Cabarete  ?  Condo/villas prices plus cost of living ??  Traveling expenses such as airfare from California ??  Any input will greatly appreciated !!

First welcome to the forum.  I answered some of your questions in your other post.  Forget about the wind being a factor.  Yes on some days we can have nice breeze but more so right on the ocean.

Cost of living will be a bit cheaper on the north coast as not totally a tourist destination.  The north coast also has a good mix off locals, Expats and tourists.  We have lived here on the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) for over 9 years now full time.

Hope this helps and read read read the multiple threads here on various subjects, then feel free to ask questions you may have.  Lots of good folks here with lots of good information.

Bob K

rio2014 wrote:

We are a retired couple living in San Francisco Bay Area planning a vacation trip with the intention of purchasing a condo/villa in Dominican Republic in the near future !!  How is the wind factor in Cabarete/Sosua ?  I've heard is too windy !!  we are not into skydiving sports but have heard the North Coast is the best !!  What is the difference between Punta Cana compared to Sosua/Cabarete  ?  Condo/villas prices plus cost of living ??  Traveling expenses such as airfare from California ??  Any input will greatly appreciated !!

Ok now I have some time to answer you.  First of all skydiving is not what they do..... you made me laugh out loud.  They do windsurfing, hang gliding etc   The wind is awesome for those sports but doesn't infringe on daily life so no worries.

North coast -  is more real life DR.  There are a lot of expats and tourists so the prices are more expensive then regular Dominican towns that do not rely on tourism.

Punta Cana -  almost no real life of the DR. IT is all tourism and expats and it is very expensive.  Ok before you all jump on me, yes there are some pockets of less expensive.  I am being general here Punta Cana is likely the most expensive area to live outside of Casa de Campo.   

Travelling expenses - darlin  google is your friend - look it up!

Thank you Planner !!  Then windsurfing, hang gliding it is !!  We'll make the trip and rent a condo for a few months !! I think you lived there and La Romana as well !!  Thank you !!

You are very welcome. While I never lived in Cabarete I did work there for over a year. I traveled daily from Puerto Plata and that is brutal.....

Renting is a good idea.  We lived in a condo in Cabarete for a year and loved it.

Bob K

Planner
Hi from Canada
My wife and I are staying at a condo 20 minute beach walk to Cabarete.
We are wondering about grocery costs and prices for red wine.
There is a large grocery store 1 km from us. Do you know the name
Thank you
Wayne

Janet's is the name.

Here is some basics:

Imported =  more expensive
Local = usually  less expensive

Wine - all imported.  Yup its gonna cost you.  Drink RUM, the national drink. Its cheap in comparison.

Local beer - not expensive ( I am told, I hate the stuff)
Imported beer - really expensive.

The store you are talking about is Janet's on the east side of town.  It is the biggest in the area and will have everything you could need.

Yes local products are cheaper and imported more expensive.  Using local products we spend about 60% or what we would in the US

Wine is about the same as  you will find back home.  Rum much cheaper here.

BObK

Thank you
Just happen to love a good rum and Coke

Thanks Bob

you are welcome

Bob  K

Are there any products or items we should be sure to bring with us from Canada?

You can get just about anything here.  So I would say no

Bob K

Hello. I am a 50 year old single guy and looking to enjoy life. Could anyone tell me how long $200,000 would last in the D R if you lived modestly and that money was for expenses only? Do not include accommodation costs in that amount I will buy a villa out of separate money. Just ball park idea. Thanks, Aaron.

If you don't live high on the hog ...12-15 years. I live well including rent on less than 16,000 a year. I do cook most of the time as I'm a retired chef/restaurant owner. I eat, drink & party as  I wish. You should do just fine. DO NOT post financial position as it makes you a target. Good luck & welcome.

If you hook up with a  Dominican chica half your age.... a year or two :D

Bob K

Bob,that made me laugh out loud.

Tinker is right about not posting specifics publicly.

That,said: 200,000 can be invested and get 4 to 5% easily annually. Depending on your standard of living this can last year's and years.

And welcome to the forums!!

As much as I wish we could fly into POP rather than STI, there is a silver lining. It does give us access to stores and items that we can stop and pick up on the drive to Sosua. And, the Jumbo in POP is great for Staples.

Yeah, I know the D R fairly well, but have never thought about making it home. It's not Kansas. Right now It's only in the idea stage. Realistically it would be at least another 6-7 years before doing anything, barring the unforseen. I don't drink at all so it would be cheap living for me wherever I end up. Thanks you for your time.

Yeah no kidding. You can just as easily find that where I already live.

I would suggest your husband find an online work from home job before coming. I have two children 9 and 10 who attend connections academy, which is free online school that many states offer. They are having open enrollment right now.  They are learning Spanish from their friends and taking Spanish classes,  and will attend local public schools which is free. Your child will really get immersed in the culture by attending a local school.

Deposit the money and live in the interest

Hello Planner. I see you say you have a group offering 2 insurance plans. I'm interested in getting information on that please. I am moving to Puerto plata in November and would appreciate any help you can provide.  Thank you

First welcome to the forums.  I will send you a private message regarding insurance.  And you are welcome.

Hi again. My email address is***.  thank you for your assistance.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi honey. I noted the email but hid the post. Not good to put on public foruns.

Ok thank you

I would like to know if it is really worth it to import a new'ish car with the residency shipment? I get mixed reviews.  I would only like to hear from people who have actually done it themselves within the last 5 years...thanks!

@B.ob K Can some tell me how much is a can of baby formula the powder costs in the DR

@Bob K How much is baby Formula in the DR ? The powder kind in American dollars ?

So this is a very old thread. Bob is no longer active.

Baby formula is readily available and. Price depends on type of formula and size of container

https://jumbo.com.do/catalogsearch/resu … +beb%C3%A9

@Bob K

Exactly my plan

looking to rent and need recommendations

@bonnie28 This is a very old thread. If you have questions, please search for newer threads or start a new one.

@tp3813

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OFF TOPIC

EU is off topic and will be removed. AND yes this is a very old thread