What is there for families to do? Will be living in Addis Ababa

My husband has been offered a 2 year project.  The whole family is considering coming out on this adventure.  We would live in Addis Ababa.  I know very little about the country in terms of day to day living. I have statistics for weather, size etc

My questions are: How safe is it for westerners? Am worried about kidnapping and bombings!

Can women walk around by themselves? 

What is there to do for families?

What is life like generally

Anything else we should know?

Thank you

some times, when i read this kind of question, i feel sad and also i feel how much the western ppls have so wrong information about this country. i can definetly said, addis ababa is more safed than USA.  you can walk alone or with any body even at night. no bombing or kidnap at all in addis.  so it is so safe totally

Hi.  Thanks for the quick response.  Reassuring to hear!  We are planning this exciting adventure for the whole family and need to know as much as possible.  I've certainly loving what i have read about the country.

What is there for families to do?

Hi ScotlandLisa,

I just thought I'd post on this thread. My husband and I may possibly be moving to Ethiopia soon.

I have carried out extensive research in the last few months and I think there has been a great deal of unwarranted bad press about Ethiopia.

I suggest you read through all the threads on this site, as well as research Ethiopia on the internet and cover blogs in your research.

I am very keen to live in Ethiopia.:)

I would like to send you a private message. Please let me know if that is okay.

Kirinyaga, Hi

I'm new to all this.  Yes, happy for you to message me - do you need anything?

My husband is going out on an 8 week project shortly so will get lots of info back from him. 

It's amazing how much information you can get - just trying to understand how 'my everyday life' would evolve.

ScotlandLisa wrote:

Kirinyaga, Hi

I'm new to all this.  Yes, happy for you to message me - do you need anything?

My husband is going out on an 8 week project shortly so will get lots of info back from him. 

It's amazing how much information you can get - just trying to understand how 'my everyday life' would evolve.

Hi ScotlandLisa,
No, I don't need anything. Infact, it is to do with a preliminary visit and to give addresses of different sites and blogs I have read.

I wouldn't dream of messaging you without asking because I think that's rude.

I'll talk to my husband tonight and find out when he is due to go to Addis and then I'll send you a message tomorrow morning.
:)

Ethiopia:
A growing country on fast progress
Friendly, religious and God fearing people
Security is not an issue
Weather is one of the best in the globe (9 months of sun shine, 3 months of rain)
Multinational companies are rushing to invest
Government is pro progress and development
Addis Ababa is a diplomatic city of Africa ( hundreds of thousands of diplomats and expats)
The only place in Africa where pure gold is sold in the inner-city at simple glass windows
The country is among the earliest civilizations of the world, dating back to more than 3,000 years
Is the tower of Africa (Addis is more than 2,300 meters altitude)- be prepared for the thinner air in addis

Let me know if you look for additional info.

Cheers!