EU blue card -- Is it really a gateway to Europe?

For the past two years, I had been anxiously waiting for the blue card and thought it would be a great way to Europe. But, I find that the blue card is bottleneck and is adding much more confusion for the some aspiring applicants like me. From my experience of 8 months research on the blue card, i have one question and hope to find some answer here. YOU NEED TO HAVE A OFFER LETTER FROM THE EU EMPLOYER but it LOOKS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO GET AN INTERVIEW CALL/OFFER while you are not in EU. Indeed, I approached many job consultants in India and alarmingly they seemed helpless. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome?????

I also would like to apply for an EU Blue Card and that is one of my main questions, Do I need an offer letter to get one.  Yes, It is practically IMPOSSIBLE to get work. I applied to offer 200 positions in the Netherlands and all the answers are the same song... "you do not live in the Netherlands." or more " You do not speak dutch", which is the worst answer, I do speak Dutch, so Really.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You're responding to a post that over 6 years old and the OP hasn't been back since.

From the EU website (link)

"You are eligible to apply for an EU blue card when you are a non-EU citizen, and you have completed at least the first stage of tertiary education (so degree) or you have five years or more professional experience in the profession related to your profile.

It's not necessary to have a job offer, in fact, if you already have a job offer, why would you need the blue-card?  Many countries (including Holland) already operate a skilled-migrant scheme, which is virtually the same thing in terms of getting you into the country and being permitted to work.  In the current world of mass-migration into Europe, my own opinion is that I wouldn't think that the blue-card as being particularly useful.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Good day Cynic
I also find out that the https://www.apply.eu/ is a scam and should not be used. IND is the only site to use.

Thanks for the reply, I just found the IND web site overwhelmed with information, thus I really do not know where to start.  I just would like to know and find a much easier way to relocate, As I said currently this is an impossible task.

Thus, as I understand I can rather apply for a Highly Immigrant Scheme. Do you know which forms to complete for this? I did contact an immigration lawyer and she also suggests to apply for the EU Blue card.

IND EU blue card

More information here

Thank you, Ramses

Yes, I do have the form(s) but as Cynic says I do not need a job offer, both these forms (7513, and 7517) I need to complete the details of the employer. Therefore my confusion.

I do not want to complete the forms, resign from my current job and move to the Netherlands in the hope to find a job? How long will my money last.. not long...

If things do not work out and I do not find a job then I am busted, I can return to my home country but to find a job back here is zero to none.

Hi again and thanks for the update re the scamming site; another to add to our list.  However, the information I quoted from it is relevant and it doesn't change my view of the usefulness of the Blue Card per se.  Having a Blue Card does not give you any advantage over another similarly skilled person.

The easy way is to go the Highly-skilled migrant route, the issue for you is that you don't get to declare yourself as highly skilled; you can't apply to join any scheme, your future employer has to to do this (and be registered with IND); so you need to get a job that will meet the criteria.  There are thousands of companies that are registered with the IND, so it is a well-known system by those who use it.

This link (not a scam this time) will take you to the IND website that deals specifically with these visas; there is also a link to an FAQ section that will perhaps help you further.

The fact that you have applied for 200 jobs in the Netherlands without a sniff makes me wonder whether you are pitching yourself for the right jobs, or perhaps you don't qualify.  If you don't qualify, then, unfortunately, the highly skilled migrant's route is not available to you and perhaps you need to consider what you need to do to qualify (so what skills, expertise or experience you are lacking); or whether you do what many thousands do and go the MVV route and have faith in your ability to find work after you get there.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi all thanks for the info. I just had a response from Kroes immigratie advokaten. The employer is the only one that can apply for a blue card.

Cynic, the problem is not my pitch or the quality, but rather because I am not living in the Netherlands. I had many contacted me as I was the right person for the job, but I am not staying in the Netherlands.

Regards

johanndut wrote:

Hi all thanks for the info. I just had a response from Kroes immigratie advokaten. The employer is the only one that can apply for a blue card.

Cynic, the problem is not my pitch or the quality, but rather because I am not living in the Netherlands. I had many contacted me as I was the right person for the job, but I am not staying in the Netherlands.

Regards

Hi again.

So, you have an answer, the job(s) you're going for is not in the highly skilled migrant category and you need to go the MVV route, in 90 days (ish) you will be in Holland ready for that job (or maybe a different one).  You just need to take the jump.