Hello all! A few questions? How do guys make friends?

Hello,

I think it's about time I introduce myself. I'm Ruben, IŽm English, IŽve been living here in Barcelona with my girlfriend for 6 months now, working as an English teacher.So far my time here has been filled with ups and downs. Summer was glorious, winter has been miserable!

One thing I haven't managed to do really is make any friends! Sounds pathetic! Ofcourse I have some friends here but theyŽre mostly work colleagues and friends of my girlfriend! Somehow she makes friends so easily, she just invites someone to get a coffee and then BAM! best buds!

I guess being fluent in Spanish gives her an advantage. Nonetheless, I still think the way in which guys and girls make friends is somewhat different. I feel like coffee isnŽt common enough ground to make friends over! IŽve been promising myself that IŽll go to one of the expat meetups but so far i've never been free.

Anyone else had the same experience? Any ideas?

R

Hi Ruben21,

Welcome to the Barcelona forum. :)

Thank you for this introduction.

I wish you get lots of new contact soon.

Hey Ruben

6 months without anyone to get pissed with sounds horrible haha.

Im a 25 year old Dane, that recently got a job in Barcelona, and is moving there next week. I would deffinetly be up for meeting up somewhere and having a beer or something.

Its the 5th time i move to a new country in 3 years, so im starting to get quite good at meeting people though haha

My email is [email protected]

let me know if your keen on meeting up somewhere.

Thomas

hahaha! Ok, i'll swing you an email. Have you set yourself up with somewhere to live and wotnot? What job is it?

Some customer service/sale job for Epson, should be okay i think.

And nope, searching for a place to live right now, sent out quite a few emails but no answer yet. Seems not sure if its because i write in English...

Ah ok. Possibly the English thing although IŽm sure youŽll have no problem finding a room once you arrive. We stayed in hostel until we found  place to stay, worked out well.

I'm not sure where you;d be looking at flats but if your replying in English be sure to use Loquo, go on the housing section and simply type English, should create a few more options for you there.
Also, i agree about the making friends hurdle, so if there are people around for a pint count me in. E-mail [email protected]

Hey man, living in Barcelona at the moment and working in a similar position to yourself as an English teacher.. Been here since October and I'm finding the language barrier difficult even though I've been learning for a while.. gimme an email [email protected]

Hey,
Im 22 and have been living in BCN for 7 months now and have just completed a TEFL course so am looking for work at the moment. If any of you teachers want to meet for a drink and maybe share some advice for teaching here. Let me know. My email is [email protected]

Yeah one of the hardest things about being an English teacher is that you never have any time to practise Spanish or Catalan! I spend most of my life speaking English!
Sean.- any luck finding work yet?

oh yeah, I sent all you guys emails so you have mine.

Hi guys, bit late to this conversation but I'm in the same boat, been in BCN for 7 months currently working as an English teacher.It would be cool to meet up for a few beers sometime.

[email protected]