Living in jakarta

I got an offer from a school to work as a mathematics teacher for two years contract at a pay of US$4000. free accommodation provided and tax free pay. i like to know whether this pay is ok to live in jakarta and i can save around US$2000 per month. i am a vegetarian.
waiting for reply. thanks venkat

Hi venkat52,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Best of luck,
Christine

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=4 … USD&To=IDR

A local teacher may get up to Rp5 million/month if he's been around a while.
I think you can guess from there.

i want a one bed room apartment near to my school Bina Bangsa public school in Jakarta. hall + one bed + kitchen. i am vegetarian like to cook, i like to know how much will cost per month for housing plus monthly food expenses.
thanks venkat

Wait... you're talking about 4000USD a month and you want to know whether it's enough?

Or do I get it wrong? Maybe you mean 4000USD a year?! :-)

Anyway.... about food expenses:

You can cook yourself a nice vegetarian meal for around 10.000 rupiah or buy a meal from some food stall (rice, vegetables, fried vegetarian snacks) for the same price.

So you can have 3 meals and spend only 30.000 rupiah a day. If you also want some snacks, drinks, etc. it will be a bit more of course (maybe something like 50.000 rupiah in total).

You can definitely have a nice dinner out for 50.000 rupiah.
And you're lucky to be vegetarian, because there are many nice vegetarian dishes and meat is more expensive than meat substitutes (like tahu and tempeh).

But of course, you can make it way more expensive if you want to have fancy food, imported food, alcoholic beverages or if you like to hang out at Plaza Indonesia, etc :-)

Btw, I wrote something about prices and incomes in Jakarta based on stories from locals... It might be interesting for you. This is the link

Btw2, do you have to find a room yourself or will the school help you to find it?

Cheers,
Britt

hi venkat
can easily survive in USD 1000 to 1500. max 2000.

PM me if u want further details.

Thanks . My monthly pay us$3,600. I like to rent 1 bed condo near to my school Bina Bangsa international school, any advice, venkat

I am sure you will be doing well with that decent salary :)
you should look at apartment rental around Pantai Indah Kapuk and I am sure there are many decent one within any budget! goodluck:)

4000 US$ is more than enough to live in Jkt, you could save up 3000 US$ easily if you want.
Google "apartment jakarta" to see options of accomodation.

hi I am in the initial stages of interview at Bina bangsa school, they have asked me my expected salary. I am an indian  and I am applying for pre-school job at bina bangsa. what should I write as my expected salary.
Early response is appreciated as I need to reply asap.

with 4000 US you can save 3000 US and can living in middle class style

Dear All,

Both my wife and I will be moving to Jakarta in June of this year and we'll be living in BSD City, Tangerang.

We are both British and I will be working at an International School.

I need to know the cost of living in this location (western style food items), quality of houses, cost of housing, basically all of the normal information required by any newbie to a city.

My salary will be $4120 USD per month NET and we're looking to save at least $2000 USD per month; can I just quickly confirm this is a realistic number?

My employer provides accommodation and we do not need a car. 

In particular I would like to hear from any couples (no children) who live in BSD CIty:

What do you pay each week for food?
What do you pay for electricity, gas, water, etc. each week?
What entertainment is available in BSD City?
What is the cost of accommodation in a gated community?
What is the cost for electrical goods?

Any information would be greatly appreciated in the run up to June.

Regards,

Brian & Amelia

You could check out this website www.numbeo.com  it gives cost of living and other information for many countries and cities around the world.