Paediatrician in La Preneuse / Tamarin area

Anyone know of a good Paediatrician in La Preneuse, Tamarin or the surrounding areas?

Our paediatrician is great but he is located in Beau Bassin, which is a two hour drive if you're in rush hour traffic, so we're kind of looking for alternatives.

Thanks for any advice!

bepster wrote:

Anyone know of a good Paediatrician in La Preneuse, Tamarin or the surrounding areas?

Our paediatrician is great but he is located in Beau Bassin, which is a two hour drive if you're in rush hour traffic, so we're kind of looking for alternatives.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Bepster

Here are two names. They come from other expats who have used paediatricians. Both are at Clinique Darne:

Dr Amatally
Dr Jagastingh

If you buy the car pass via Medine for the sugar cane field you can  get to Clinique Darne very quickly, avoiding the traffic in QB.

Thanks for your reply!

I think Floreal or Beau Bassin is actually kind of the same distance if driving from Tamarin.

I was more looking for a private paediatrician resident in Black River, but perhaps I am aiming too high here :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your speedy reply!

Hi there

do you know the short cut to Beau Basin?..I go there too for our pediatrician (probably the same one!) and if we take a 3pm appointment it honestly only takes 40mins to get there..i live the Le mourne side of Black River

you may already know it..coming from Cascavelle side towards Albion..take a right before the turn off left for Albion....do u know it?

Other than that don't think u will get a private one..but Dr Piat in Black River is pretty used to seeing kids..I have been to him when our Dr is away

Hi there beach girl,

You mean the one going to Rose Hill? That makes a lot more sense than driving through QB I suppose, but still, 40 mins sounds like you need to break the law a bit here and there :)

Hi Yep that's the one!

No no speed limits broken;)

20 mins from Black River to Cascavelle... give or take a few mins behind an annoying cement truck! then 20 mins to that right hand turn off to Rose hill..give or take a few mins avoiding a stray dog running out in front of you, then 20 mins to Beau bassin,.. give or take a few mins getting lost trying to find the Dr house in the maze that is Beau Basin!

Time it next time!;)

So 20+20+20 = 60 :)

For some obscure reason I was thinking that QB would be the best option, but obviously it isn't ...

The time is not really the problem though - it's more the horrible air quality in QB rush hour traffic that kind of puts you off.

I will have to try the Bambous/Rose Hill version next time, thanks for the tip!

By the way, the stray dogs are great! They keep stressed out expatriates at bay and preserves the slow pace of the island traffic.

Actually we need more stray dogs on the roads, so that people can take the time to slow down a bit and see what's around them :)

ok 60mins then..give or take:D

I am a dog lover too..but some of those strays need to be put out of their misery, especially the female ones. PAWS doing a great job in the Black River/Tamarin area.

If you are on FB maybe you can join the Black River moms group (:D)) all questions regarding little ones and any other questions like doctors and short cuts always answered

Hi Bepster

I know someone who has had to go to Clinique Darne often during the last year and she has a pass to cut through the sugar cane field. It takes her 30 minutes from Tamarin. I've been in the car with her and she wasn't speeding.

Also, you don't get stuck in traffic if you have the sugar cane pass.:)

Thank you both for your replies. I will conduct some more research!

I will have to think about that Black River moms group, haha :top:

Hello again Beach Girl.

For your information I discovered a faster route today!

Instead of going through the bumpy cut through Rose Hill, keep on driving until you hit Gros Cailloux just before Petite Riviere.

Turn right and drive through the Chebel sugar fields and you're in central Beau Bassin in no time. No road humps and no busy Rose Hill traffic to worry about.

All in all 45 minutes, no speeding, and the stray dogs are still alive :cheers:

You have a faster route, quite the same than Chebel: just before the road which leads to Albion (the first one coming from Tamarin), turn right: you'll drive through St-Martin ;)

That's actually the one I was referring to in the previous post. That's the bumpy one. It is per definition shorter, but in reality it takes longer. The Chebel one is more quiet, less bumpy, and a lot faster.

I guess it also depends on where in Beau Bassin you're heading :)

Hi bepster and ijulien

this morning I had a 9.45am appointment for the pediatrician..I think we are talking about the same one..two doctors in the one clinic..one happens to be a lovely Irish doctor:D

it took me 50 mins and that was including 5 mins stop to put air in my tyres at SHELL..no dogs killed..no chance to over take..anything! and I live on the Le Mourne side of Black River

can't do much better than that :cheers:..in rush hour..anywhere

Hello all,

I am moving to Mauritius at the end of May with my husband and 2 toddlers, so  I am keen to take on good advice on Pediatricians on the Island.

Irish beach girl, what is the name of the Black River moms group on FB, Please? i cannot find it. We are planning to live in Tamarin and I am keen to meet other mums in the aera!

Thank you

Hi Gwenabanana

the group is called Black River Mums..look under groups
You can private msg me again if you can't find..I do know though that it has got quite big and they were starting to restrict new members to those only living in Tamarin Black River..so maybe you will have to wait until you arrive.
There is also another group for the center of the island called Mums des Hauts..both french and English speaking

I am sure you will be happy living here, there are lots of young families ..and I would highly recommend our pediatrician or her husband..both consultant pediatricians.

good luck with your move! give me a shout when you arrive if you need more advice

Thank you for your speedy response Irish beach Girl!

I found the mums group on facebook and have asked to join.

I will certainly post again once I'd be there in May, with lots of questions!
This website is great for new comers to Mauritius!

I am looking forward to the move and meeting new people there.

Cheers