Working in Social Development in Brazil

Hey all,
I am new to this forum and look forward to making friends here :)
I'm from Australia, and will be finishing my Masters degree soon. After I am done I hope to come to Brazil to work. I am interested in working for an NGO (or volunteer if the conditions are good). I would like to do some creative work, teach English and Graphic Design and pretty much get creative with those who are not privelaged...Does anyone know of any reputable NGOs?
I am also interested in working there in other fields as well if anyone has ideas. I am looking at either RdJ, Salvador or Maceio and anywhere else! I am open to suggestions and info.

I don't speak Portuguese well.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

Rashie.

Hi Rashie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hi Rashie,   Douglas Trent here in Belo Horizonte.   I an my Brazilian partners are working on a number of sustainability projects.  Our nonprofit Instituto Sustentar puts on the largest sustainability even in Latin America, Sustentar 2012, the 5th International Forum on Sustainable Development.  We also do projects to teach English in poor communities as part of a larger economic development project in several cities.

Your lack of Portuguese will hold you back, but we may be able to do something with you.   Contact me at [email protected].

Thanks Christine, nice to meet you :)

DouglasT, thanks for your reply, sounds very promising. I will email you shortly to have a chat!

Check out the website south american explorer club. At the moment I am also trying to find volunteer work in Salvador. The language school called Idioma in Salvador send students out to projects when you have portuguese communication skills.

Best regards Sunniva

Thank you Sunniva