A month past but already bored!!

BONJOUR
i'm 22 year-old girl from south korea. i'm here to study french.
it's already been a month since I stayed in lyon. time flies so fast. i'm afraid that i'm just killing the time alone.
so i would like to meet some people who can hang out together (to club or to pub lol). let me know if u r interested!!!

Hi wonderpets!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

anonyaseo..hi..i am indian and just moved to lyon from hong kong...i have visited korea over a 150 times...seoul/suwon mostly....i am trying to explore the city ..let me knw if you would like to join..cheers

Heya! I'm an aussie living in Lyon, been here 6 months and its true its not easy... if you wanna explore with an aussie give me a holler :)

Annyeong!

Well I'm born and brought up in lyon so if you need any help or just someone to kill the time with, I'm here ^^

Hey there,

I'm 28 just moved from NY around 7 months ago and, likewise, I'm looking to meet people so to make friends and start friendship network here in Lyon. If interested let me know.

Rocky

Yes, it is really boring in this city! I've just been here for 2 weeks and feel to go back to my home country!!!!

HELP!!!! ouchhh.....

i'm suprised to read people having a boring time here.  the city is filled with fun to experience.  i have been here a year, if anyone is up for meeting up or going out hit me up.

Filled with fun, perhaps correct if you can speak french and they will look at you like you are from the moon whenever you speak english.....

Hello,

I am an english speaker with very little french speaking abilities and yet I have tuns of fun in this city. It is not as fun as NYC but still fun in a very relexed environment. I guess it is the people you suround yourself with. I joined a band last summer and through them I met many fun people. Maybe, do something with some friends that would lead to even more friends and more activities.

I don't speak French all that well.  Your frame of mind going into the situation, in my opinion, can greatly influence the experience.  Don't take it personally if you get the look or blow off like you are from the moon.  Who cares, the times I have been mocked for being "that guy" doesn't change the fact I'm here and need to make the most of it.  I sound like a coach or something but really this is a great place, people anywhere can bring you down.

Yes I can't really understand you guys, all the foreign people I met in Lyon or whereverer in the world are mostly ...in love with this city !! And I don't think it s just a question of language coz most of lyonnais speak english a little. And if you really want to meet anglophone people, just go to Le Vieux Lyon, even barmans there can t speak french properly! Otherwise, I don't know what to say except that everyone has different taste..
Anyway, as a lyonnais, if I can help you, just ask me and it will be a pleasure to show you nice places or even just for a night out! (I need to improve my english!!!!)
Be brave everyone !!

I've been here since February and I like it here even though I just started to learn french. But I the feeling when you try to speak English and you get looked at like you're something from an other planet. But still, it's  a lot better here for me than in Mulhouse where I lived before.

I'm trying to learn french now but it's really difficult, but I believe that if one intend to stay here for sometime it's absolutely necessary.

As Sissious said, to go to Vieux Lyon is good if you'd like to meet people that speak English, it's a very good chance you'll find some there :)

Thanks Pulsljud for the comment. Btw, where is exactly Vieux Lyon? Still not familiar with this city...

There's a metro-stop named Vieux Lyon, it's on metro-line D (the green one) if you get off there you end up in, you guessed it, Vieux Lyon ;)

It's in the 5th arr. (if im not totally mistaken)

THanks!

I want to go home, go home go home!!!I love Michael Buble song "HOME"
Miss my home so much...pls pls pls....5th October.....argh....too long to go......

Anyone interested in hanging out tomorrow or this week? All the people I met are away on vecation and I'ts kind of lonly to be in the city and know no one..

Hi all,
I'll be in Lyon very soon for a Master 2 en communication at Lyon 2. I'm from Madagascar but I'm cuurently living in Abuja, Nigeria, where my husband works with UN. I'd love to meet some nice people and have fun. My french is very good and my english not bad ;) 

See you soon!
Valerie

I'm sorry but, if you want to go home then go home! It's so disappointing to hear all the negativity about Lyon, France, French people, etc. (especially coming from American's because it just supports the stereotypes about us being close-minded, ethnocentric, and ignorant) This city isn't boring and the people are not unfriendly. You are in control of your attitude about any experience you have, so if you're going to conduct yourself with negativity expect a negative experience, but it's your own fault. If you are lonely or experiencing a bit of culture shock this site is a great place to reach out to others who may be in the same boat. It is not, however, intended for your personal dumping ground of complaints.

I agree with aquadigio!!! This place is dull and nothing after 8pm everyday and 99.5% shops are closed on Sunday,really a joke or perhaps this is the "culture" of Europe.
Quote from ILYCC:"This city isnt boring, and the people are not unfriendly" I also sorry for you but force to say it is only up to certain extent! They are friendly if you speak FRENCH or maybe 2 out of 20 will be friendly (well, it is normal in everywhere so to speak!)This city is not boring if you only like to eat bread,cheese, drink wine and go cinema with only French speaking movies available. Im not sure how many countries you have been but try to explore more in others especially ASIA!! 你条傻"害",我现在更你讲华语,你喜欢吗?哈哈哈..I was talking in mandarin, so how do you feel now?

Dear Casio Calculator, your post made me smile a little bit and here is why: I'm not sure what you're looking for after 8pm, but if it's shopping, you're right you probably won't find much of that. However, if you are looking for bars, clubs, restaurants, a nice walk along the quais of the Saône or Rhône it definitely exists...even on Sundays. (try Bellcour, the Vieux Lyon, Hôtel de Ville) The UGC at Cite International plays all of the films that are originally in English---in English. The biggest joke here in my opinion is that you have generalized your experience in Lyon, France to be a representation of the entirety of Europe, such a hugely culturally diverse continent. Especially since you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Finally... even funnier... I've actually studied in Osaka, Japan and Seoul, South Korea for 6 months. That's Asia, right?

p.s. I feel like if I was in China and you spoke Chinese, I probably wouldn't be offended and attempt to learn a bit of the language so that I could have a clue about what was going on in whichever city I happened to be in. Is somebody like forcing you to stay here or something?

Wow, you have spent 6 mths in Japan and Korea, yet you considered it as Asia, who is funny here?!Do you really have any idea that what Asia really is?LOL...As you said, Europe is such a hugely culturally diverse continent yet this city is having this kind of 'culture' so is not considered as 'boring', im really speechless if you really understand what im trying to say here
Since you have been in Japan and Korea and yet still find this place (Lyon) is not boring then its up to your definition of "life" and "boring" or maybe you really just like to stay at home for 10 hrs after your school and never ever gone out.
2nd funny point is the so called Cite iNte..... the cinema and the only one with all english movies, but, i have no idea how "far" it is from the city center...ouch..that is really tough ya to allow me to watch a single pity english movie or other language movie in this place.
I agreed with aquadigio because people here mostly learnt english (statement from my hotel apartment French Receptionist) during their primary or secondary (or other name)but unluckily they dont want or maybe too shy (egoism????)to speak especially whenever an outsider is trying to communicate with them or even asking for help! In CHINA, NOT ALL THE CHINESE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN ENGLISH DURING THEIR SCHOOL TIME so they are forced to speak chinese language. So, you have no other choice except learn out language, hope you understand the difference. However, Chinese nowadays are learning english and they are more than willing to speak especially big cities, same goes to Malaysia, SIngapore, Taiwan, India, Indonesia and etc. Meanwhile, people in this country have the opportunity to learn but never use it after all!!!! Who is the funny fella here ya!?
Btw, my company is really forcing (sort of) me to stay here but luckily I will be moving to Frankfurt soon. GOD BLESS ME because my german contractor told me germans speak ENGLISH and THEY DONT THINK THAT GERMAN LANGUAGE IS SUCH A SUPERIOR LANGUAGE THAT YOU HAVE TO SPEAK IT OR ELSE YOU WILL SUFFER EVEN IF YOU JUST STAY HERE FOR A SHORT TERM. Well,with all due respect, again, Im just quoting what he told me, so no offence at all...:P

p/s one of my colleague visited me and I told him that Lyon is famous with its variety foods and well known in the world" Actually I read this statement from the internet (dont blame me if its not correct) Anyhow, he spent a week here and I brought him to almost all the recommended restaurants from internet and he said, "Come on, do you know what is the meaning of variety food?" Well, I just telling the fact from other guy, for sharing purpose...

"This city is not boring if you only like to eat bread,cheese, drink wine and go cinema" with such a big open mind, I understand why you don't make any friends here.
"recommended restaurants from internet" ahhahaha good one !
Thank you for making my day ! :)
And for all the expats who worried after reading those last messages... No lyon is not boring (it s the opposite!) and yes, you will have a lots of fun here !!
Of course, all the expats I know doesnt have the time to use this kind of forum and to explain why they have such a good time here (too busy to live their french life ;) )
Ciaooooo et ... Vive la France !!

@Casio calculator - Can you please write in english on this English Speaking forum and lower caps lock when writing? :)

Thank you,
Auréllie

I'm just going to add my two cents to this surprisingly heated debate on expats in France.  I have been here for almost 2 years and I love Lyon and France in general!!!  This city is anything but boring and the people I have met have been wonderful and welcoming.  It does help if you speak French, but it is certainly not necessary (because believe me, my French is far from perfect).

P.S.-  Why do people come to other countries and get upset that they don't all speak English?  You are in France and you are surprised that they speak French?! Ridiculous.

By the way, I would be happy to meet up with any open-minded and positive people that would like to continue enjoying all of the amazing things this city has to offer.

Hi guys,
No one replies to my post!! I'll be very soon in Lyon, and I'd love to meet people to not find Lyon BORING...lol :)

Hi Tiana, tell us when you are in lyon then we will try to arrange something :)

It's Valerie :) Thank you for anwering Sissious...will be in Lyon in 2 weeks...can't wait...Do U speak french?