American family moving to Bangkok

We need all the help we can get on recommendations for the best schools, best communities, church, womens groups, anything that will help to fit in there.
We have 2 kids; 6.5 & 4 years old, so famiy entertainment is essential.

May be I can help you.  I'm Thai  but used to live in San Diego, California. I know what American have to prepare themself if they want to live in Bangkok.  It's quite a different world here. But I garantee you will like it.
If you need more information about Bangkok, feel free to write me @ [email protected]

A very nice location for a family to stay in Bangkok is Floraville Appartments  , I stay there and it has many foriegn families with small children in a safe envirement.    The Health Club facilities are run down, but everything else is good.

Thailand has over 100 Interenational Schools and many Westerners are hesitant to leave due to the excellent educational facilities.

I hope you enjoy your time in Thailand.

Tony

I have the perfect setting for you.

Anywhere near The Mall Bang Kapi.

You can go to The Mall Inn (next to it) to rent for a month a condo.  From there you can explore the area.

There are MANY Christian schools and missionary schools in the area as well.

Lots of entertainment for children at the Mall - beautiful swimming pool, thousands of games, English language schools, and much much more. 

Bang Kapi is absolutely the best area in Bangkok.

You can even rent a beatiful house in a village nearby for about 8,000 baht a mont ($200).

Jonathan

Just a follow-up

Foreigners that say "excellent" educational facilities aren't being specific.

Thai schools are the worst in the world.  It's a total indoctrination and socialization into Thai culture.  Your children will be taught to love and honor a completely useless King and Queen. 

They don't teach world history - only Thai history.  "Nothing exists out of Thailand". 

Whatever you do, do NOT send your kids to any Thai government school.

Be ready to pay about $5000 up front for sign-up fee and an additional $6000 a year for an American or British school.

Anything less than that, you'll be damaging your children for life.

Obviously you have more experience in these matter than I, but:

"worst schools in the world?"  Based on what?  You key points are, in your words, not specific enough and demonstrate an astounding lack of respect.   

"total indoctrination into Thai culture."  Your point?  Thai culture is one of the reasons I'll spend the rest of my life there.  Sounds pretty bigoted and judgmental. 

Your opinion of the value of the King and Queen is just that...opinion.  I'm not going to argue regarding your disrespect, I'm just going to disagree. 

"only Thai history"  I went all the way to college in the United States and had exactly ONE course on world history and world geography.  The US schools may not be the best in the world, but to base your judgement on whether the students learn about the Crimean War is idiotic. 

"damaging  your children for life?"  I have several good friends who were educated in the government schools and they don't appear to be very damaged.  They appear to be very successful businessmen and women, aware of world events and less closed minded than many of the British and American expats that are taking advantage of the "Thai culture.

Private schools that charge tuition of up to 800,000 baht had better be better than the government schools.  That is certainly the case in the West.

Your post was as unhelpful as and certainly more libelous than the "non-specific" posts you reference.  You may be correct in your conclusion, but the "facts" you lay out do not in themselves prove or even support your case.

vvankeuren wrote:

We need all the help we can get on recommendations for the best schools, best communities, church, womens groups, anything that will help to fit in there.

Where are you going to be located ? Many good international schools with fabulous facilities but not cheap. There are aslo lower cost schools too. Chiang Mai is very popular for families and retired people. Bangkok is great too. Alot depends on where you want to be or have to be. Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket all have good facilities and for exapts with a bit of money it can be a fantastic life. I love Thailand and had a marvelous time here. Have a good trip and I bet you will enjoy it as too will the kids. I know many families who never want to leave :)

Moondoggy wrote:

Obviously you have more experience in these matter than I, but:

Yes I do, I realize this is an old post but I hate to see such misinformation left to stand unchallenged.

"worst schools in the world?"  Based on what?  You key points are, in your words, not specific enough and demonstrate an astounding lack of respect.

Perhaps NOT the worst in the world but on par with anything out there that is awful. Thai schools are in fact not used to educate but rather to babysit. There is little to nothing of value taught in Gov't schools the programs they teach are awful outdated books poor teachers that often will just turn a TV and leave the room complaining they aren't paid enough to actually teach. Students that are taught that questioning a teacher is wrong and disrespectful and will result in a loss of face.. the international schools are somewhat better but amazingly over priced for what you get.

"total indoctrination into Thai culture."  Your point?  Thai culture is one of the reasons I'll spend the rest of my life there.  Sounds pretty bigoted and judgmental.

So you want to be xenophobic and learn that lying is ok? That looking down on others less well off than you is ok depending on the color of their skin? Sorry I've lived in BKK for goign on ten years now and it is an awful place to raise a family and for that very reason my wife and I are moving out. Thai culture is wonderful on a vacation but the reality of living here and doing business here is that its perhaps one of the most messed up and damaged societies on the planet.   

"damaging  your children for life?"  I have several good friends who were educated in the government schools and they don't appear to be very damaged.  They appear to be very successful businessmen and women, aware of world events and less closed minded than many of the British and American expats that are taking advantage of the "Thai culture.

You must live in some crazy bubble of Thailand that only let you in. You have good friends educated in Thai schools that have good jobs and are aware of world events? The Thai's go out of their way to teach their children that NOTHING outside to Thailand has any value or matters. Thailand is the centre of the world and don't question us we are older than you. I do feel for you if you have children and educate them here.

Your post was as unhelpful as and certainly more libelous than the "non-specific" posts you reference.  You may be correct in your conclusion, but the "facts" you lay out do not in themselves prove or even support your case.

Your post was just as unhelpful as you had your rose colored glasses pull so far down on your face you didn't even come up for air. I would LOVE to hear your experiences in the Kingdom and how come you have managed to avoid all the nonsense that goes on here on a daily basis.

Do tell

Is there any other particular place u got to be close to apart from the place that u mention? Like close to work or close to any transportation?? I'm not sure wherther u gonna be reply my question as the post has been up for long time?

vvankeuren wrote:

If any legal help here needed you can leave question to me, i will come here to give u answer time by time. by the way, welcome to Thailand. or email me [email protected]

victor :)

Hi there

In all honesty it is hard to say without knowing where you will work and will you drive etc. The best 'Family' type places to live i have found have been on the Western side of the river. Over there you get more Moo Baan type compounds, houses on secure gated communities. Inside they often have play park areas and such like. If you get the right ones you will also be close to huge shopping malls and other such places. The only real bug bear about living over there is the travel to work in the morning if you work anywhere on the East side like the CBD of Silom etc.

Feel free to message me or add to this for more info if you ahve questions. I too have two young kids, one aged 5 the other 3.

Cheers

Dave

Quite an old post, think by now they would have found something.