Emigrating from USA---ex-Military wanting to farm Tartu area.

Hello!

Looking for tips or info on how to emigrate to Estonia from the USA. Husband is soon to get out of the American Army (Infantry) and will be completing his Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice soon. Wife is mostly a Homemaker who has an Associates in Criminal Justice Administration, but has work history in Law Enforcement. Children are 1 and 6 and homeschooled. Before the Military the Husband was a cattle farmer in Oklahoma USA.

Would it be impossible to emigrate, seeing as how the family would like to farm/homestead near Tartu-Viljandi area, and are not interested in getting big city jobs? They'd like to move to Estonia to start a new way of life for their family.

Thanks for any help you can provide!  :)

This sounds like a very interesting an perhaps unusual thing to do for a foreigner in Estonia.

I would say that to set up a business in Agriculture might be rather difficult. It would be virtually impossible for any citizen from outside the EU or Estonia to set up an agricultural business here without fully funding it themselves. There would probably need to be an incentive to help create new jobs in the region, increase economic export and productivity. But all in all, like with any nation, the agricultural industry has lots of red tape for barriers of entry for foreigners.

Of course local farmers would be able to obtain EU subsidies for farming cattle and in order to obtain a residence permit for starting a company in Estonia, it is welcomed but requires an up from out of pocket capital investment. This would mean first purchasing land, obtaining the proper licensing to run a business after making sure it is properly zoned for agriculture, purchasing the cattle (which should not be to difficult), yet after all is added up, it would certainly cost a good bit.

Estonia is mostly a pork country, and I'd speculate 80% of the meat products consumed locally are pork, and beef is normally shipped abroad, mostly to Isreal (since they don't eat pork, and beef from this region is highly sought)

I'm only speculating, but the first step would be to gather some more research from the Estonian Migration Bureau, where information can be found at www.politsei.ee (Click the UK flag icon)

Good luck!

[moderated: keep that kind of comment for you]

Providing background information is not "bragging". I was simply providing all necessary information about the potential ex-pat's so as to get the best answers. Your response was unnecessary and rude and was of no help. I will now seek my answers elsewhere.

KLM - It isn't necessary to seek information elsewhere.

There normally aren't people on this website whom make illegitimate comments

KOTOR - It is absolutely necessary to understand that providing background information before moving abroad is necessary. Some countries do not grant Long-Term visas or Residence Permits for individuals who've completed military service in their home country.  That is the exact purpose of this site - to share and exchange information for those who are abroad, and those seeking to go abroad.