Advice for moving to New Zealand

After 20 successful years in building, I am looking to broaden my horizons due to the flagging construction sector here in Ireland. I cannot see a future here for my kids and I want a better quality of life for them.
I love my family, work, fishing & outdoors.
New Zealand comes highly recommended and it seems that it wouldn't be such a big transition.
I have applied for a skilled migration visa & I hope to get a possible job offer near future near Christchurch maybe.
Is there anybody that has gone through this big move.
If you could give me any relevant info/advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Hi Henry and welcome to Expat.com!

I wish you Good Luck in your projects.;)

Harmonie.

Thank you for the good wishes,Harmonie

Hi Henry

We just moved to Christchurch last dec with my kiwi husband. If you any specific things that you would like to know please ask.what I can say life is good here. Houses are cheaper to rent compare to uk - well we were in London before moving here.anyway good luck with your move.

Nxxx

Hi Neave, Nice to hear youre doing well. How did you find a suitable place to live or did you have a choice?
take care.

Hi you probably have read the news so far that rental in Chch is very difficult at the moment.  Too many people looking due to their house getting repaired. But surely this will get better soon when people returned back to their houses. We were lucky to get a ok house in a good area and not too expensive either. The west and NW are not too many earthquake damage. The east and south east are pretty bad. We were lucky to be able to view a few properties before making our final decision. There is the website trademe where most rental and othe loads of stuffs advertised. This will give you an idea of houses in Chch. Please do not try to go of what you see on the website. We were deceived a few times and luckily we did not commit to any before actually get to view them. It's not like back in the uk where you go to an estate agent and they help you. Here most of the estate agent do home viewing which are also advertised on trademe. Anyway if you have any more questions please feel free. When are you moving to Chch? Good luck.xxx

Hi Neave,
Thank you for such detail. I am currently trying to secure a good Job in Christchurch before moving all my family. Once I have succeeded, I'll travel over to shake hands and find a suitable place to live, etc. I have a lot of work ahead, but that will pass too. It would be great to get some information on schools for our kids, etc (eldest is 5). Kind Regards.

Hi sorry have not written earlier. Been a bit busy lately. Anyway how's you move going? Any date as such when you moving to Chch? Regarding schools am not too familiar as my little one is only 19 months. But I did google it and find the Wikipedia has some of the information. They go by decile points...more to do with socio economic area. Take a look at it. The good places to live are burnside, bryndwr, papanui, fendalton and merivale although some other people might add to more. I tend to stay of this side as they are not too affected by the earthquake and hardly feel any shakes as compare to the east and south east. How old are your kids? It will be nice to catch up when you guys are here.

Take care
N