Oil/gas workers in PNG

I'm hoping that others may be able to give me some insight into life at PNG for oil workers. How do the locals feel towards the oil workers? Are there tensions? I've heard in other countries oil/gas workers have been kidnapped and held for ransom money. I don not want to put my husband or family in that situation, or even have the fears of that happening. My husbands company has asked him to move there for approximately 1 year. My concern is we have 3 small children and I don't want to puth them in harms way. We live in Canada and have not had any experiences with countries whom have unrest within their people. I understand from what Ive been reading that we can expect to be living in a compound with armed security guards (which will be a huge change for us). I will be most likely home schooling the kids. Is it safe for me to take the kids out with a security guard and just me? Would it be more wise to have more than 1 guard when I travel outside of our compound? Im unsure exacty where we will be living but will post when I find out.
Ive read that most food is imported, is the meat and produce safe, or is it questionable?
Do any workers live in Australia and fly in or ferry in to the gas plants? What kind of security can the workers expect when at the gas plants and mines?

Thank you for all your help.
Regards.

Seriously, my advice, do not bring the kids, this is no place for them.
I know people who FI/FO through Brisbane / Port Moresby at the weekend, if your Husbands company want him onsite, I would suggest you look at that option.
Security is a major issue here.
Food is plentiful, safe but expensive.
For your first expat gig, you chose a hell of a country :-)
OB

Thank you for the advice officeboy.