Private Healthcare questions

I was advised to get Private Healthcover and I am a bit unsure about this so am looking for advice. As a UK citizen am I entitled to free healthcare in Malta? What exactly will my private healthcare cover me for that I shouldn't be covered for already? Do I need cover and if so for how long?

Also as recommended I looked at Gasanmamo Insurance but when I tried to get a quote it asked for an ID number which I obviously do not have, anyone shed some light on this?

Hi I am also wanting to move to Malta next year do i need any private medical insurance or will i be covered under the national health service

If you are working (and an EU citizen) you don't need private health insurance

If you do not work and your hubby does i think his contributions to the malti state will cover you and your children

Generally speaking just by being a UK citizen you are not entitled to free health care in Malta BUT the following applies:

The Reciprocal Health Agreement covers UK citizens living in Malta and not covered by health insurance otherwise. 

The scheme requires that UK Nationals residing in Malta, who are not otherwise insured through EU Regulations, register with the Entitlement Unit for a special entitlement document. This document will be valid for two years and will need to be presented each time the holder accesses Maltese public healthcare services.

Applications for enrolment to the scheme are available for downloading from the Entitlement Unit’s website at: … ltauk.aspx and can be submitted by post. They must include a photocopy of the applicant’s British passport and a copy of the registration certificate or residence permit.

British Citizens who are already in possession of a Certificate of Entitlement issued by the Entitlement Unit in terms of EU regulations 1408/71 and 574/72 or are paying National Insurance contributions in Malta are not required to register for this scheme.

As from 1 July 2010, British Citizens failing to present any of the above mentioned entitlement documents will have to pay for treatment given. British Citizens requiring emergency medical services while on holiday in Malta will be required to present their UK issued European Health Insurance Card.

So if you are covered through the National Insurance of your husband or through your own contributions you will not need it anyway.

Whether you opt for additional private insurance or are not entitled to the above certificate and need private insurance would depend on your circumstances.

All other EU citizens who have health care entitlement in their home countries can and should move their entitlement to Malta when they move to Malta. They are then not covered in their home countries anymore and would need the EHIC card from Malta to travel within Europe with health care coverage.


What if neither of us are working? I am doing a course for 6months and hubby is looking after our son until its finished so unless a part time job fits into the schedule we assume neither of us will work for that period of time. Also how does my son get covered for medical?

toonarmy9752 :

If you do not work and your hubby does i think his contributions to the malti state will cover you and your children


Then you are probably covered through the agreement but you have to register for residency and need to check it out with the Entitlement Office in Valletta.

If you are not covered you should get private coverage ASAP. Conditions will apply and co-payments probable.


Ok so if I want to apply for private medical insurance before I go, even though I am entitled to free treatment if I apply for what you suggest, who would be a recommended insurer? I explained above about Gasanmamo and I am waiting on quotes from others.

You need to check your entitlement to free health care in Malta and sort out the necessary forms with the NHS in the UK before you leave. The Reciprocal Agreement only kicks in if you have no other coverage and is based on residency in Malta ( Residence certificate - not just ID card).

I have a Private Clinic Plan with AXA PPP healthcare but it only covers for your country of residence , that is why they ask for ID card number. You don't have to sign up in advance and I don't think you can but you should be able to get a price quote.


So really i am only looking for temp cover until I start work right? If say I get a job first and my husband isn't working, would he be covered by me working or would I have to keep the private insurance going until he gets a job? Also will my son be covered when I work? This is all very confusing.

"If say I get a job first and my husband isn't working, would he be covered by me working" - yes, and your son

if you've been paying national insurance in the UK, you can get up to 2 years of cover in Malta by transferring your rights … broad.aspx

then click living overseas

"If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room TC001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country’s authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme.

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with."

Thanks George, I will give them a call tomorrow.  So when I do work is it going to cost me to see a Gp or is that free? None of us have been ill for a long time but still.

its free to see a GP at a health centre, but you pay to see a doctor at home or at his surgery

New topic