Teaching in UAE ADEC/Sabis/Public/Private HELP!!

Hi everyone!

New to the sight and loved some of the discussions I've seen so far.. My biggest question ... ADEC?? is there anyone who is working as a LT? anyone who has been
Placed by ADEC? If so where were you placed?

HVe an interview with ADEC the 9th March. What was the interview like ??

The following ismy situation.. I visited Dubai an absolutely loved it. Then usurer Abu Dhabi and while I only got a bare peep at the place for a few hours , I taut it was a nice city- nice beach. So end result- I am
Simply counting down the days until I can move there.

There are a few of friends considering moving there also and would like to be together- I get that with ADEC this is def not a guarantee and would
Have to be prepared to go anywhere you are sent. The girl
From teach anywhere said it could be Al Ain/Abu Dhabi or there
Is a chance that it could be the Western Region. I have asked a few people and no one is too sire what it is
Like. I want to prepare incase am sent there.

I have an iterview tomorrow for Scholars International in Dubai? Anyone got any info on that?

Final point... I don't want to have to struggle while I am
There- I would love a good time whilst saving something.. So... Money- the girl
At teach anywhere said that with a private school
I would earn appoximately 2000 € per month.. Whereas with ADEC - as I have been teaching 5 years it would be 3000 € per month. It seems worth the risk
Of not knowing where I will be placed and with whom for an extra 1000 per month. Are ADEC known to pay their workers on time ect??

I would really love to hear from someone
Who knows about ADEC.. I haven't  met anyone who
Is teaching for them- only people in private school/ some ate happy some ar not.
Difficult to know what to do.

Would love hear from
Anyone who could offer an insight into any
Of above issues!!!

Thanks a mill

How did your interview go?

The interview date was changed to 24 th march!

Mollypink wrote:

Hi everyone!

New to the sight and loved some of the discussions I've seen so far.. My biggest question ... ADEC?? is there anyone who is working as a LT? anyone who has been
Placed by ADEC? If so where were you placed?

HVe an interview with ADEC the 9th March. What was the interview like ??

The following ismy situation.. I visited Dubai an absolutely loved it. Then usurer Abu Dhabi and while I only got a bare peep at the place for a few hours , I taut it was a nice city- nice beach. So end result- I am
Simply counting down the days until I can move there.

There are a few of friends considering moving there also and would like to be together- I get that with ADEC this is def not a guarantee and would
Have to be prepared to go anywhere you are sent. The girl
From teach anywhere said it could be Al Ain/Abu Dhabi or there
Is a chance that it could be the Western Region. I have asked a few people and no one is too sire what it is
Like. I want to prepare incase am sent there.

I have an iterview tomorrow for Scholars International in Dubai? Anyone got any info on that?

Final point... I don't want to have to struggle while I am
There- I would love a good time whilst saving something.. So... Money- the girl
At teach anywhere said that with a private school
I would earn appoximately 2000 € per month.. Whereas with ADEC - as I have been teaching 5 years it would be 3000 € per month. It seems worth the risk
Of not knowing where I will be placed and with whom for an extra 1000 per month. Are ADEC known to pay their workers on time ect??

I would really love to hear from someone
Who knows about ADEC.. I haven't  met anyone who
Is teaching for them- only people in private school/ some ate happy some ar not.
Difficult to know what to do.

Would love hear from
Anyone who could offer an insight into any
Of above issues!!!

Thanks a mill

How desperate for a job are you? Yes, ADEC pays on time. No, they don't always honour promises made in the interviews. If you don't get it in writing, don't count on it. Yes, there is a chance you are placed in the western region. It is FAR from Abu Dhabi city and any other metropolis. Chances are, the school you'll be in will be NOTHING like what the city of Dubai looked it.
Government schools are rife with behavioral issues. I'm talking about young children biting, stabbing (with pencils), choking...and that was near Abu Dhabi city. The recipient of those attacks? Other 8 year olds and in one case, the teacher.

Tread carefully. This is NOT a fun teaching gig. Teachers come in droves and leave in droves. If you're desperate for money, go for it.

I have an interveiw for ADEC as well. Mine was originally set for March 24 but they changed it to the 21st.

Good Luck with what ever way you choose.

Wow...  Thanks for your very honest reply Aughal. Certainly food for thought... I have since been offered a job in a private school in Sharjah... The accommodation is shared, a car between 3 people, and the pay is less than half what ADEC are offering. They have agreed to wait for an answer until the end of March.

The behaviour is clearly a big issue. I can empathise somewhat with that having taut in all boys urban schools in Ireland- def need to be thick skinned. Do you know anything about the schools from the point of view of planning and organisation of schemes and lesson plans- is it individual, or do teachers work in teams to develop schemes and notes? I am really interested in the curriculum they are introducing to these schools from a research perspective and as a hopeful candidate. I am 100% certain from what I have read that it will be an extremely difficult job each day and that the children's behaviour will pose a huge huge challenge but I am looking at the jobs in terms of professional development and the other job is based on the British Curriculum. I have a permanent job, I am
Taking a career break with a view to opening up to new curriculums and an opportunity to experience a new culture and feel that this will not be the case if I go for an international school. While I loved Dubai I am under no illusion that the rest of the country is a different experience completely.

Have you been with ADEC for long? Do the expats generally click
Quite well the schools... When you say promises they make
In the interview.. Would you mind fore warning me of promises they may not honour.... Sorry about all the questions.. I am applying for soany different positions Ans
Trying to make the most informed decision...

If you were to choose now - knowing all that you do- what type of school would you choose??

Mollypink wrote:

Wow...  Thanks for your very honest reply Aughal. Certainly food for thought... I have since been offered a job in a private school in Sharjah... The accommodation is shared, a car between 3 people, and the pay is less than half what ADEC are offering. They have agreed to wait for an answer until the end of March.

The behaviour is clearly a big issue. I can empathise somewhat with that having taut in all boys urban schools in Ireland- def need to be thick skinned. Do you know anything about the schools from the point of view of planning and organisation of schemes and lesson plans- is it individual, or do teachers work in teams to develop schemes and notes? I am really interested in the curriculum they are introducing to these schools from a research perspective and as a hopeful candidate. I am 100% certain from what I have read that it will be an extremely difficult job each day and that the children's behaviour will pose a huge huge challenge but I am looking at the jobs in terms of professional development and the other job is based on the British Curriculum. I have a permanent job, I am
Taking a career break with a view to opening up to new curriculums and an opportunity to experience a new culture and feel that this will not be the case if I go for an international school. While I loved Dubai I am under no illusion that the rest of the country is a different experience completely.

Have you been with ADEC for long? Do the expats generally click
Quite well the schools... When you say promises they make
In the interview.. Would you mind fore warning me of promises they may not honour.... Sorry about all the questions.. I am applying for soany different positions Ans
Trying to make the most informed decision...

If you were to choose now - knowing all that you do- what type of school would you choose??

Which school in Sharjah?

Curriculum: Intended for native speakers, it's useless. The kids are coming from semi-literate backgrounds, the outcomes are well beyond them. It's the elephant in the room that no one will admit to. Teachers aren't class teachers, perse. They spend 3 lessons/day w/ one section (1 maths, 1 science, 1 English) and 3 lessons/day with another section. Kids are constantly in and out, so there's no literacy block. Planning is going to vary from school to school.

As for broken promises, teachers bound for the western region were told that once/month there would be transportation and a hotel stay in Abu Dhabi. Didn't happen.

While the expats generally click, you will likely not find much support coming from the administration. If anything, you'll find that the presence of the LTs is resented.

Most decent, middle-of-the-road k-12 positions will start to pay around 10,000-12,000 dirhams/month. Ideally, they should include a NON-shared housing set-up. Great jobs will start more like 15,000-18,000/month. The school that's paying half in Sharjah doesn't sound stellar. And a shared car? Mmm.. Unusual here. Good luck.

Easiest gig in all of this? KG. Volunteer for KG. Short days,

Thanks for the information guys. Great help. We are prepared for te worst possible scenario and j guess it can't be any worse than we are now imagining. Will see how interviews go. And hopefully will
Have a few options. Thanks for taking the time to reply!