Skansa Camp - Gargaresh Road

Hi, hope someone can help with directions to the Skansa Camp.  Tried to go to the Sunday night quiz but couldn't find the camp despite friend having (wrong) directions.

Can anyone give me details of the quiz, start time, cost, etc.  Also, clear directions on how to find.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

:0)

Please enlighten us - what is Skansa Camp?

Not exactly sure, think it is a secure housing camp like NOC, Regatta and Janzour.  Never been myself but heard they have quiz nights on Sundays.

008Angel Jay wrote:

Not exactly sure, think it is a secure housing camp like NOC, Regatta and Janzour.  Never been myself but heard they have quiz nights on Sundays.

Janzour ain't a camp, Angel....

We have a cow, goats, sheep and chickens running around in the field just outside our gate :lol:;)

Sorry Sandman, should have clarified it better, there is a camp at Janzour we just refer to as Janzour camp - not sure what it's official name is but it is part holiday camp and part residential with a hotel in the middle.  I haven't been there but our company leases some of the accommodation there for staff.

Appreciate Janzour is a whole town apart  :o)

Hope that helps?

Quiz is every Sunday 5LYD per person, usually in teams of 4, but people just turn up and join in any team to make up the numbers.

If you want to eat first it's 15LYD. Most people turn up between 1900-1930hrs and have dinner before the quiz.

The Skanska or 1st Engineering Camp is at:
Lat: 32° 52.044'N
Long:  13° 6.885'E.

Drive through first gates into car park, then walk thru 2nd set and pay the guard 15LYD, he'll give you a ticket for the meal.

HTH

Excuse my english, but is not a Quiz a little exam? What is this exam for?

freakyfingers wrote:

Excuse my english, but is not a Quiz a little exam? What is this exam for?

:o)  Hi Freakyfingers, our (social) quizzes are really just for fun but can be like exams in that they are a series of questions and you join in teams to try to answer all of them.  The team that answers most correct wins.

Maybe see you there one Sunday?

And thanks to Mudman for his reply - we did find it and have been a couple of times now.  Good fun.

I would like it, in fact, me and my wife will be the key to win the quiz; but we have to wait to go Libya first. I'm waiting for the asignment. Someone from Weatherford?

freakyfingers wrote:

Someone from Weatherford?

Plenty from Baker, Hal and Slb ;)

I believe I will be moving back to Tripoli early in the new year after being away for 6 years.  Thinking of renting a villa/apartment/bungalow on the Scanska camp, does anyone know who I can contact regarding whats available on the camp and at what price?

008Angel Jay wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help with directions to the Skansa Camp.  Tried to go to the Sunday night quiz but couldn't find the camp despite friend having (wrong) directions.

Can anyone give me details of the quiz, start time, cost, etc.  Also, clear directions on how to find.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

:0)

Hi Angel,

Are locals allowed to go in and share the joy?

Not sure, I would think anyone who pays the money can take the chance but the questions could be hard and everything is in English so would depend on the 'local' their English and knowledge.  The food is 15 LYD also, so all-in-all 20 dinars for a fun night out.

Hope this helps a little.

008Angel Jay wrote:

Not sure, I would think anyone who pays the money can take the chance but the questions could be hard and everything is in English so would depend on the 'local' their English and knowledge.  The food is 15 LYD also, so all-in-all 20 dinars for a fun night out.

Hope this helps a little.

Thank you so much Angel, The English Language I think I am doing good as I have Cambridge First Certificate and spent some time in  the UK about 14 months to study over there. the questions might still be taught for me. Just to sit there and watch is lovely, back in the UK I enjoyed the going with my friends to workmen club, where they sang and danced on some old songs, it was so great like musical movies of the 60s or 70s

20 LYD is very good for a fun night out?

Coming from Regatta end of Gargaresh, go over the Wadi and take the second right. The camp is there on the right hand side.
It is expat only as this is an expat camp run by 1st Engineering.

Horizontal Harry wrote:

Coming from Regatta end of Gargaresh, go over the Wadi and take the second right. The camp is there on the right hand side.
It is expat only as this is an expat camp run by 1st Engineering.

Thank you so much Harry for making that clear

So all expats are welcomed right ? I would like to come if it is open for all expats.

^^^^^

Hello everybody ,

I am an expat coming to Libya after one month and because of Regatta long waiting list I won't live there but please let me know if I will live out can I make membership to enter Regatta or Palmcity for sport and activities

Thanks for your reply,

Nada

Hi Nada

I live on Reghetto and I can't use the facilities!  I work for an oil company who apparently didn't contribute when certain amenities were being built, so now our employees cannot use the tennis courts or 8 club - pants.

Also, seems anyone can drive in passed the security on the gate and go to the beach here but the residents are stopped nearly all the time, especially ex-pats.

Palm City tends to be the same but different guards on different days helps.

I saw your request and not sure it will still reach you.  I was in the GSPLAJ in 1988->1990, but in the desert based mainly at Concession 103-A.  I worked all over the desert and was seldom at base.  I travelled with 2 essentials, a roll of toilet paper and a tin mug.  The Skanska Camp was in Tripoli and nobody needed to know the address then but I believe it was slightly off Gargaresh (spelling) Road.  It had a European standard restaurant and a bar.  No locals allowed.  The thing most expats did not know was who the woman was that ran the place (she was European) with her blonde young daughter.  The manager was the mistress of Jalud (2IC to the Colonel).  She was hold up in Libya for having re-ticketed some US made tank carriers on the high seas during the embargo (I have no proof of all this).  Her daughter served me in the bar and she was the toughest hard as nails bitch I ever met.

Jalud was fired by the Colonel around the time of your request.  Maybe Skanska went with that.  Certainly, I doubt it is there in 2013.

Just an oldie from the GSPLAJ which was far more difficult back then.