Eager to join you all!

Hello all :)

Just wanted to take the opportunity to say Hi to you all and look for a bit of advice really.
There's probably not much that hasnt been posted already and weve read all your advice to other people which has been amazing, but I guess I'm just after some info on the current climate regarding job opportunities. My partner and I are desperately looking to relocate to Gibralter/southern Spain  for the long term. He is currently an Operations Manager at a local leisure centre and qualified lifeguard. He also has an extensive call centre customer service backround. He speaks fluent dutch as he lived for over ten years in the Netherlands. Are there people in particular that we should be contacting? It'll be the two of us and our little one who is seven years of age.

Are companies actively looking to recruit right now and would it be of any advantage that we're looking long term. Id also like to find some bar/restaurant work and am considering going out there on my own initially to secure some work myself.
Im also a qualified painter and decorator and had my own business until recently and would be interested to hear from anyone in that line of work.

Honest opinions on living in the local are would be appreciated as I hear it could be on the rough side in La Linea for example. Just concerned for the little one not so much ourselves.
Regardless, who are likely to be the best people to speak to with regards to reenting a two bedroom house or appartment in the area. Unfortunately our spanish is minimal but is the first thing on our list to learn.

Anyway, thankyou for taking the time to read, any feedback would be greatly appreciated and invaluable to us.

Adios Amigos!
Jo & Nick

Hi

Best of luck with your plans! If you look under my posts I have job agencies and estate agents. It is more expensive to live in Gibraltar than say La Linea. You could get a 2 or 3 bedroom very cheap in La Linea. I've been to La Linea and it was ok, however it does have a bad reputation. Like all places if you keep yourself to yourself then you will be fine. There are other places close by but need to check on the public transport, commute if you don't have a car. Public transport is cheap. I would prefer a good walking distance to work! The Gibraltar Government in London will email you recruitment agencies and estate agent stuff.

Wish I was there now lol. Just a little planning lol

Let us all know how it all goes.

Coco

Hi Coco,

Firstly, sorry for the delay in replying and thankyou so much for your reply. Your posts were very helpful to us. :) 

It has been a bit of a hectic week.  We're going to Tunisia tomorrow (last minute decision - holiday to use up & need to get away) and then in the last couple of days my partner has been offered a job in Gloucester (more money, but still England!) and a job in Barcelona (approx same money as he is currently on)  Obviously our ultimate goal is to work/live in the Gibraltar area and although Barcelona would be the perfect stepping stone if we were alone, after some research I am not sure it is right for our 7 year old.

Nick has sent his cv to all the agency's and online gaming co's that we can find in and around Gib, and so far no replies at all.  I'm not sure whether this is a good sign or not - i.e: he hasn't been told no, so maybe is on file and will hear at some point... or not???! 

Again, with the ultimate aim being Gib, both of the current opportunities would be short term, which I don't think would be a good idea for our son.

I started this message with an open mind to the opportunities that have presented themselves, but the more I type, the more strongly I feel about holding out for Gibraltar.

How are you getting along with your plans?

Jo x

Hiya

No worries!

Have a good holiday in Tunisia!

Like most locations, agencies do take their time in getting back to you.  When I made email enquiries to the recruitment agencies there, had to follow up with a second one! I was trying to gauge the situation and they said to send my cv which I haven't yet.  My thing was trying to ascertain salaries.  They said don't expect to be paid London salaries which I knew was probably true before they told me.  I will have to see how much of a cut I could afford to live on!  I am retraining in the beauty industry, so with PA work and beauty work, I want to be sufficient and secure enough.

When the time comes I will be contacting agencies and companies direct.  Sometimes I wonder whether agencies and employers prefer people to be based in Gib/Spain already, may be they are thinking it would be cheaper for them not to pay the relocation fees etc.  I would pay my own relocating costs; flight and temporary accommodation – if the employer can do that then great!!! I will make it clear that I would cover my costs, but if the employer can sort out temporary accommodation, then good, if not then fine.

I hope I can make the move in 2013, after all my planned training here in London, and then go for it!

Hold out for Gibraltar, I think it's a good location. It seems that the Gaming industry is still booming, so that is an area that I may consider.

Cheers.

Coco

Just for info

1) yes there are lots of jobs in the gaming industry, all of which require experience

2) London salaries???? that is a joke!!  I can't even look at my English salary of TEN YEARS AGO here - this is not a sunny goldmine

3) it's a great location, yes - and when you are a Gibraltar resident you may be entitled to a job in Gib.  People, please do your research.

roughseasinthemed wrote:

3) it's a great location, yes - and when you are a Gibraltar resident you may be entitled to a job in Gib.  People, please do your research.

There is no requirement to be a Gibraltar resident in order to seek or take employment in Gibraltar

http://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/images/stor … 011%29.pdf

I have contacted agencies both in Gib and London and salaries are not that bad as an Executive Assistant / PA in the financial sector, don't know about gaming. I am retraining too so feel confident that I will feel secure financially!

Get the best package you can neg. That's what I plan to do.