Internet, no limit downloads etc when in a rental apartment?

We are moving to Malta in 5 weeks time and are wondering about internet usage. We currently have broadband and unlimited download in the UK. We surf the internet a lot and play XBox 360 online. My question is, how would I go about setting this up if I only have a 6 month lease on an apartment? We definitely don't want to pay everytime we go online as it will get very costly, so would it be possible to get unlimited download and internet usage if we are only on a 6 month lease for example?

Any recommendations of suppliers and how much the above would cost?

yeah it no problem here - go for Melitas package (its better than Go for sure....at 25mbps optical cable unlimited downloads (well its really a reasonable usage policy) 18euros a month for 9 months and then its 30 euros per month for the next 15 months - averages out at 25 a month..and its an excellent service and you get exactly the speed of service you pay for unlike Go....even with a 6month lease theyre not interested in that but you do have to sign a 2yr contract,,,,and its easily transferable to a new place if.when you move....you may pay an initial small deposit with the id (passport will do to start) and you will need to get an id card to get your deposit back. - we got ours back within 5 days. if you do got for melitas package make sure you use google chrome its highly recommended and super fast....and dont bother with either their or Gos tv package their both rubbish - 3-5 years out of date and repeats. better off with iptv or vpn or a sat system

Hi,

A word of caution, it is better if you present them an ID card beforehand. Yes, the deposit is refundable, but we had to make several useless trips to the branch and a couple of weeks in phone calls to persuade them to apply the deposit towards our bill. It finally happened, but they tried all kinds of tricks to avoid that. Like you have an A at the end of your Maltese ID card number instead of M, or someone will call you back, or it will be taken care of, and it wasn't till we kept calling and calling and getting on their nerves.

yes  id card os the best option.....but I have to say (for us anyway) IrinaC that we were never subject to that hassle at all - it was agreed as soon as the id card was produced and we had the cash in our account within 5 days. so can only speak as i find.

Well, maybe our situation was different too. When we just moved, without an ID they would refuse a contract, so we had to settle for a deposit and a more expensive option. When we got ID's, we found out that they had a much cheaper deal and wanted to switch to that and get the deposit back. They said that they can't give us a check unless we bring back the modem and cancel the service and offered to apply the deposit towards the next bill. It seems like people have different experiences, depending on which branch you go and who you get to deal with.

Are Melitas and Go the only options at the moment ?

depends if your just talking internet accesss..then unfortunately yes unless you take up a mobile phone contract with a dongle from say vodafone. but in my experience its not a good solution.

if its tv access then theyre the only two TV suppliers one via and aerial and the via cable.

unless you decide to go for a satellite dish and sat box.

TV  :rolleyes:  No thanks. I rarely watch the life draining box in England. I'm damn sure I'm not gonna start once I join you guys  :D

I can't avoid being in front of the laptop. Pays the bills. But when I'm not working I intend spending every minute outside.

Just from a quick look at the respective websites I get the feeling I'm gonna be more comfortable with Melitas. Speed is a major concern and Go looks as if it still needs winding up.

Melita in my opinion is a far better option - we have had them for four years and have had no issues with speed or download limits and believe me i use it to its fullest - again like you its used to pay the bills.....lol

Hey, found out the hard way over the weekend that Melita's unlimited download is subject to a fair use policy of 50GB, downloaded quite a few movies for the kids on the weekend and didn't have internet was running too slow to connect to anything until Thursday so just be aware.

do it overnight between (11pm and 7am) and it doesnt count against your download limit. I have been doing this for 4 years and no problem and i download loads of stuff music books movies tv series...

I did query the new limits imposed on the new optical fibre packages and they are lower than my existing package so will keep my old contract for as long as i can.... i guess I DL at least 10gb per night.......

very useful to know, cheers

you are welcome

We have been using Melita internet for the last 3 years and never had a problem except for the occasional off time.

With the Fibre Powered Internet Packages the fair usage download threshold quoted by Melita is:

15 Mbps = 100 GB/month
25 Mbps = 250 GB/month
50 Mbps = 450 GB/month
100Mbps = 800 GB/month

Cheers
Ricky

i have a 10mbps service at 13.85/mth with a 150gb daytime DL limit...and have had no problems at all.

dont think that package is avail now though.