Moving my Family from UK to NYC - Help!

Hi Guys,

I work for a Brand Management company in Bradford, and my main client is in Manhattan (a rather big client at that).

To ensure the smooth running of the account, and to stop the constant flying back and too, I may have the chance to make the move a more perm one.

I have a 11 yr old son, and me and my wife would just like to know the best area's to consider - mainly with schooling in mind, but also I need to be close to Manhattan for work.

I am due out again this Monday, and plan to spend next weekend looking at potential area's to move my family to. Anyone got any suggestions where I concentrate my move?

I want to look at a few places, and get a 'feel' for the area - so I can report back and we can then sit down and go through it all, with places firmly placed in our heads.

When I travel with work, I mainly stay in Midtown Manhattan, so not explored the surrounding area's too much. I was thinking of looking maybe Brooklyn way, unless people can point me in another direction.

Thanks for taking the time to read, take care,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thanks Christine

HI, i think that manhattan is so expensive and for a child is not more recomended. I think tha if you go to a suburbs is better. I know Tarrytown that is so good, and have a good school, it's the tipical american village with house, the problem is that normally you need a car, but the area is so good. And another city is New Rochelle, is near manhattan. I hope i help you. bye!!

Hi UK family!
welcome to the US! :)
Working in NYC and visiting there is one side, living as a family we appreciate to live a bit outside. Quality of life is out here (Greenwich CT) more worth considering outdoor activities, schools. I know a few families who moved out of the city. They wouldn't go back - just for entertainment :D

think about it! Rye NY has a very good reputation too!!!

good luck!

trickortreat

I'm from the US and my son lives in Brooklyn.  If you want to be closest to the city, areas of Brooklyn like Williamsburg are nice and a lot of young families live there.  There are public and private schools available, parks, a nice art district and it is less than Manhattan to live.  However, alot of professionals do chose to live in Conneticut and commute into the city.  The city does have alot to offer though and if you only have the one child, it may be a viable opportunity.  Good luck!

Hi steve,

I can see you are getting lot of good advises in your location finding I would recommend you to search in Westchester county as Rye or tt would be hectic drive or train would take its time to reach mid town Manhattan.

Westchester county is like 15 mins drive to Manhattan 125th if you would stay in bronxville or in yonkers that would help your purpose schooling is good around this area communities are nice and you know new Yorkers they are always the greates around :)

Hello,
I am a French woman who is moving back to New York once again.
I know the area well. I would suggest you look into Bayridge, Brooklyn as it is a very safe and nice area to live. Also Astoria in Queens.
I am flying from Paris to New York/JFK this coming tuesday.
Good luck to your new home to be in New York.
I am a certified Massage Therapist there for many years and I was in France for the past 2 months and now it is time to go back home to the biggest's business city in the world.
Cheers,
Nathalie