Doing business in Guatemala

Hi,

are foreign investors welcome in Guatemala?

Is it complicated to register a company in Guatemala? What is the procedure?

What is the corporate tax rate in Guatemala?

Is it easy to recruit?

Any advice you would share with us?

Thank you very much for your participation,

Julien

To do business is relatively easy first there is a General "Patente Comercio" which will list the type of Business, will be listed with SAT (TaxMan)You may get this license on a Tourist Visa but need to have a Guatemalan or a resident, this person will be legally responsible for the business. Price for thia business license runs about $125.00
Next you have a S.A Society Anonymous This is a corporate license which as a tourist you can also have without a Guatemalan or resident listed. The Basic difference with the two is the S.A will absorb any lawsuits where as the General license will come after you and your assets. Price for an S.A runs abt.$500. That's it, very easy.

Thanks for your input Traveler57 ;)

Armand

Regarding doing business in Guatemala as a tourist your options are narrowing.. with the new tax laws which came in application since end of january there will be less people willing to front for your businsess as it is now illegal .... As a tourist as most other develop countries you can't work for a salary .period... Now if you want to set up a business you can go for the Sociedad Anonima which very soon won't be anonimous anymore... but you will be a stock holder and that doesn't allow you to work neither... plus the price quoted by Traveler 57 of $ 500 seems very low... as according my experience it is more in the $ 1,000.00 ... You have to be careful with cheap formalities they might cost you much more in the future..

This is a topic i am very interested in.  I want to open a business in Antigua but initially will not be investing the 60k usd required to get a resident visa.  But i would like to have that.  I do not have a pension or any such thing but i have savings that would allow me easily 1000 a month for many years.  Is this suitable to get a resident visa?  or should i open an SA and just remain a tourist?any advice would be great Thanks

Timo

You should come first own to judge if you like it..
then once here depending your stream of passive income you can apply for a residency that would allow you to work and live permanently here.
Armand