Doing business in Mauritius

Hi,

are foreign investors welcome in Mauritius?

Is it complicated to register a company in Mauritius? What is the procedure?

What is the corporate tax rate in Mauritius?

Is it easy to recruit?

Any advice you would share with us?

Thank you very much for your participation,

Julien

see your email

Hi sagoodboy10, do not hesitate to share on the forum too.;)

Harmonie.

Foreign investors, in my opinion, are welcomed. But with a specific investment limit (USD100,000) imposed for Occupation Permits and a minimum turnover of Rs4 million per year, I would tend to think that Mauritius is showing some selection.  Mauritians in general do not have any problems with foreigners, I haven't seen any xenophobic trends so far(any comments on that?)

Not complicated at all to register a company!

Easy to recruit? Yes, but also depends on the competencies you're looking to.

Corporate tax rate? 15% on profits.  VAT is at 15% too.

sagoodboy10 > wow, thanks !

Thanks Nadeem !

do same investment rules apply for someone wanting to come and start their own business and work in it as well as recruit local workers?

Thanks

Doing business in Mauritius should be a straightforward process provided you know exactly what you want to do and whether it is viable!

BPO, call centre operations, financial services and polishing of precious stones are areas you could well have a look!

Thanks for the tips celebrate1989!;)

Harmonie.

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … itius.html

This could help Julien.

Regards

polishing precious stones????? :|

I don't think I've ever seen mentioned  the prospect of doing  intensive ''agricultural''  businesses here by foreigner - such as  cultivation of cut flowers or growing a particular fruit (for export) - would there be a land issue i.e buying land or could the expat rent land to work on? I suppose there would be the question of exporting by air freight - how easy is that? I've noticed some press articles about Mauritius note its air communications should be improved.

Agriculture is an encouraged business, more so in the last 2-3 years.
Land is definitely an issue since foreigners are subject to many restrictions on purchase. That having said, it is always possible to rent and if on an important scale, there are possibilities to negotiate long term lease from government directly.

I leave the freight part to more qualified members in this area. I'm not too familiar with this. However, I think one also needs to cast a look at sanitary and health regulations for the export of plants & organic materials.  These are quite strict as per my understanding.