Relocating to Ho Chi Minh City

Well my boyfriend and I will be relocating to Ho Chi Minh City in the next few months after we get things situated on this end.  We will be moving for his job as he will be working as a mechanic at the airport there.  We have decided to make this move together and I am quite nervous so any tips and information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking to teach English while there also so any tips for that would be great also!  Also looking for best areas to live near the airport, cell phone services, places to eat.  Anything :D

Thanks ahead of time!

Hi Miller.m86,

If you want to teach English, obtain one of those ESL teaching certificates before you go.  Also, pack a good first aid kit, get all you medications, update all your electronic gadgets (make sure they all take 220V), buy a lot of warm weather clothes, a couple of decent rain suits would help, and get your motorcycle licenses. 

Don't worry too much about where you should live or eat.  Vietnamese living arrangement is quite different than what we have in the States; therefore, wait until you get here and you can decide for yourselves what will fit you best.  The same goes with foods.  They are quite different here and, especially in HCMC, where there are never going to be short on eating establishments.  But, you will have to determine for yourselves what you like best.

Best wishes,
Howie

Thank you for your post!  I really appreciate any help at all!

Is there any suggest for phone service such as what is best to be able to call back to the US and also what about texting what is the expected cost to be able to text someone back in the US?

Hi Miller.m86,

I use Mobifone.  They charge a little less than 25 cents/minute to call the USA.  I don't text so I can't really help your there.

But, if you are good with the internet and electronic gadgets, you should be able to reduce that cost substantially.  Perhaps, some of the tech gurus on here might be able to help you.

Howie

Hi dear,
As other experienced members told you, no need to worry too much like other countries. Now you are coming with your boyfriend. So why too much worry? Just relax and pack your used and unused belongings(If you don't like to spend a lot of money!) and of course your Original Certificates (CELTA or TESOL for Teaching).
If your would be husband is going to work at Tan Son Nhat Air Port, better arrange accommodation nearby.Don't worry about accommodation. If you are patient, you will get a reasonable rate accommodation. If you are not much interested in luxury life you can save enough money for future. About communication to your home town, why too anxious in this hi tech age dear? So many companies offer cheap Sim without any document!You can buy it from Air Port, if you too much hurry!
Also you can use skype, yahoo,etc.
Almost Vietnamese are friendly with Tourists. Give and take(not money!) - what we give, we will get same or more!
Wish both of you a happy trip and future dear!

[email protected]

Try Majic Jack for free phone service to the states.  By it before you leave (i.e., at Walmart) and set up your phone number....I take mine every time I visit Vietnam and it works great.  With Majic Jack you can call directly to anyone's phone (land line or cell) in the states...with no charge.  Of course Skype, Yahoo, etc... work really well computer to computer.  Hope this helps.  HCMC has most of the modern conveniences you are used to in SC....but it is a big city and a very different culture - so will take time to adjust.  Be flexible and keep an open mind/heart and you'll do fine!

Hello guys,

Yeah, that Majic Jack works pretty well here too, if you have business to attend to back in the States because your registered States number will appear on the other person's caller ID.  I don't recommend for personal use though because, considering the time different, MJ is rather inconvenient.  You must lug your laptop around, if you want to stay in touch, which is not the wisest thing to do in Vietnam. 

On the other hand, the pre-paid phone cards here are quite cheap.  They have all kinds of card and promotional periods.  Utilize these and you can reduce your minutes to about 5 cents.  Most important of all, you can remain mobile and safe.

BTW, if you don't have the needs for one of those smart-phones and have yet to purchased a new phone, don't.  I had just bought a little Nokia for a little over $25 USDs.  It has slots for 2 SIM cards, which is perfect for use here.  I am looking into taking advantage of those pre-paid phone cards now.  I will keep you posted.

Howie

Thank you everyone for all the advice I really appreciate it!!  I think on the phone thing i'll just wait 'till we get there and go from there :cool:

I do have a question concerning banking does anyone recommend a good bank over there as well?  A lot that I have seen want a very large amount to deposit to be able to open so wasn't sure if it was easier to just keep the bank we have here or how that all works?  Thanks again for the help I really do appreciate it all :-)

Mandy:top:

Try this link, it has some pretty good info on expat banking:

https://www.expat.com/forum/219-8-bank-vietnam.html

Budman1 wrote:

Try this link, it has some pretty good info on expat banking:

https://www.expat.com/forum/219-8-bank-vietnam.html

Thank you this helped a lot!